Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Are Colt replicas less popular than other replicas?  (Read 18146 times)

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: Are Colt replicas less popular than other replicas?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
"So, spending all out to get a new Colt series or high end Uberti from Cimmaron or whatnot is not something that I really think is that wise"

I own 18 percussion or conversion revolvers. 16 of them are Cimarron Uberti all of them matched pairs. May not be wise but it is fun. I have probably owned over 100 revolvers over the years but these are what I ended up with.

The one ASM I own was completely reworked, custom grips, hammer block, tuned, chambers reamed, etc. The non Cimarron Walker was converted to 36 caliber. I have two more pairs on my list, the London Colt 1851's and the 1861's. Then I think my 36/38  Colt style collection will be complete. But not finished.
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
I, too, like the looks and feel of the Colt guns. However, my first C&B gun was purchased about '74 or so and it was a Remington '58. Bought it 'cause the local sporting goods store was going out of business and it was priced at $58.00! I would say that my C&B guns are split about equally between Colt and Remington, without actually going downstairs and counting 'em.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
I'm split about 50/50 with Remmy and Colt and a R&S and Plains Pistol thrown in to confuse things...all in all around 18 (like Mazo, without counting) with another ASP Colt Army on the way. I've probably bought and sold another dozen. I was (and still am) a big Remmy fan from the get-go, but the Colts have really grown on me, not only from a looks standpoint, but from a handling and pointability standpoint as well. I agree with Dave, being a blue-collar guy; it's so, so easy to go from own one BP revolver to owning half-a-dozen or more with very little cash outlay, especially if you snag used brassers. Hell, you can own a half-dozen brassers for the price of one real Colt! Then once you've scratched the itch, you can narrow down your search to higher end Colts or rare collectibles like the Gregorellis, Tucker & Sherrards, etc. But ya can't beat cheap used guns for kick-starting a collection, especially if you're on a budget.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 08:57:51 PM »
One other thing: Colts and Colt replicas (open tops included) are the most instantly recognizable historical revolvers in the world to the average joe. You might not know which model it is, but damn if it ain't a Colt! The very first revolver I fell in love with as a kid was a Colt Second Dragoon I saw in a historical firearms book; primarily for the round barrel and squareback trigger guard. So much so that I made sure I had to have one when the opportunity arose. There isn't a kid that grew up in the Sixties that doesn't know the profile of the "Peacemaker" from the myriad of westerns that proliferated the tube and big screen back then....and the triumph of justice and good over evil that followed in it's wake. You saw that profile and you knew it was a Colt. Same goes for all the percussion era revolvers......no top strap, it was a Colt.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »
I might add, while there are many different designs and profiles of blackpowder revolvers, to me, the Colt open-top BP design is the most fetching and good-looking gun out there. They are the Ferrari of Black Powder Revolvers IMHO.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »
I feel that you have made a lot of very valid points in these lasts posts Capt.

A man that understands and uses good and sound shooting fundamentals can shoot anything well. That same man also has the benefit of choosing what ever suits his fancy and does not have to make the claim that he won't own such and such because it is junk.

Colt's do not shoot any better, nor any worse than a Remington. What they really do is look and feel awesome and have one hell of a variety over all other makers, just as you say.

Thanks, Scooby. You are right on track with your assessments of Colts. Yes, they have inherent weaknesses. Lots of guns do. But you learn to work with them, not bitch and complain. Hell, the biggest weakness ALL cap & ball revolvers have is....they are cap & ball revolvers! But we love 'em, warts and all! They are a thing of beauty to my eyes.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
Well, guess I lied when I said that my C&B revolvers were about half Colt and half Remington. Just counted them up ; I have 8 Colts ( including one original '60) and 4 (soon to be 5!) Remmies. I still think that a beginning shooter would probably buy whatever brand was available and least expensive, unless he/she were extremely well informed. Even then, I enjoy shooting both brands and don't find many problems with either.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Oops, mis-counted the Colts.... actually have 10 C&B Colts. So two to one Colt/Remington.

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:38 PM »
One Remmie and three Colt's/clone's. I would say yes because our world is geared to bigger, badder, stronger. The Remington pattern meet's those qualification's for alot of folk's. Stronger appearing frame, though under BP pressure's both design's are more than adequate. Easier to  remove or change cylinder's with the Remmie, no tool's needed. Remmie doesn't cap jam.

My first was a 1851 Navy, I learned how to clear cap jam's, how to take it apart if I didn't catch myself dribbling powder out of, instead into the cylinder, and ended up with a ball stuck in the forcing cone, jamming the whole work's up, (try that with a remmie!).

All the nuances aside, I like the Colt's, learning the problem's and how to overcome them, once experienced, all other's seem to be easier. I think for the beginner the Remmie has more of an appeal, for the experienced, I think the Colt get's "the mark".

The historical length belong's to the Colt's and once mastered one can truly think of himself as a pistoleer.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, any given day could well provide a different answer. I like my Ruger's and Glock, and Marlin, but I'd be quite content with having history stop with the C&B era. I will likely alway's own more Colt's pattern's, and I'll be quite happy with that. Regard's

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
I started learning about Cap and Ball revolvers in 1970. I worked nights as a Equipment Mechanic for the City of Los Angeles and used to hang around gun shops during the day hours.

One gun shop said you're around here so much, that I'm going to put you to work. That started it all, because they had a 1851 Colt cased set in the showcase. I bought it that day.

I've always liked the Victorian era firearms and furniture and the Navy Colt was a good fit. Then I started learning about Uberti's and other makes. I then came to the conclusion that for me the steel frame Uberti's were a better made firearm, than the others.

Now, I just own Uberti reproductions and some second generation Colts which makes me real happy with my firearms.

I never could get myself to like brass framed Cap and Ball revolvers. They just didn't look right to me in the begining, and still do not today.

I have well defined tastes, and I am as particular as anybody can be about almost everything I own.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I have well defined tastes, and I am as particular as anybody can be about almost everything I own.
Bill
And on this forum, you have that right. Rock on, Bill!

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
One thing I do though, is that I read as much as I can about he firearms I'm interested in. That way, When it comes time to buy, I'm never disappointed.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline wcandres

• Lost on the information super-highway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
I'm new to black powder shooting (shooting smokeless for 50 years), and I've just purchased a Pietta 1851 Navy repro.  I've handled other Colt repro's and the Remington, but the 1851 just felt "right" in my hand.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:59 AM »
I'm new to black powder shooting (shooting smokeless for 50 years), and I've just purchased a Pietta 1851 Navy repro.  I've handled other Colt repro's and the Remington, but the 1851 just felt "right" in my hand.

Hi wcandres, welcome to the group.

IMO the 1851 Navy is the most appreciated and loved revolver of all the revolvers ever produced. It's a natural pointer, accurate, and fits well in the hand. Most new BP revolver shooters gravitate to the Colts before competitive designs. Only in time with experience with Colt cap sucking (cap parts jamming the action) do BP revolver users move to the more reliable Remington 1858. If you are really into BP revolver shooting you will eventually own many different designs. Each design has a different history and attraction.

Again, welcome to the group. I look forward to your shooting reports.

Regards,
Richard 
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline remmie58

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »
Hi Captain, many years ago when I first purchased 18XX vintage replicas, my first choice were the Colts. There isn't a more beautiful revolver ever made than the Colts. Right or wrong, the Army's adoption of the 1860 Colt will always have it the preferred revolver. For practical shooting, the Remington 1858 is exceptional. Having said that, I have 5 1858 Remingtons and 6 Colt revolvers all purchased in the last few years.

IMO a serious replica cap and ball revolver shooter will own both.

Regards,
Richard
Yep!!!