Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Non-range trip today  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Non-range trip today
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
No shooting today. I went to check out the new indoor range, arriving just after they opened. It is undeniably a beautiful range, state of the art. Each lane has a touch pad to control the target hanger. Not only can you set it for exact ranges, but you can program it to do specific movement, I.E. turn the target sideways, go out to twenty yards, expose target for ten seconds, turn side ways, move in to fifteen yards, expose target, then charge shooter.

Cool, huh?

It also exchanges the entire volume of air in the range through filters every 90 seconds, and the bullets that hit the backstop apparently go into a decelerator and drop onto a conveyor system to a central collector.

They let you shoot almost everything. No black powder, no 50 cal rifles, or 500 S&W pistols. In short nothing bigger than .44 mag for handguns. The range can handle them, but the hearing of the other shooters cannot. If you shoot shotgun, it's limited to buck shot or slug.

The deal breaker for me was the rule "No hand loads, reloads. Factory ammo only."

I'm not sure when I last bought a box of factory ammo, outside of .22 LR. Most of what I shoot is 40-60 bucks a box in this area. I can roll my own for a lot less, and none of the other ranges care.

On top of which the new range costs $20 for an hour of shooting for non-members, or $20-$30 a month for a single membership, and $10 more to add a spouse. And the cheaper price only lets you shoot free Mon-Thurs. If you want to shot on Fri-Sun, it's an additional $10.

So, I'll stick with Prescott Sportsman's Club, the outdoor range, which is like $90 a year for my wife and I, and has no additional charges for shooting. I'm going to try and go out there tomorrow, though they were closed today due to fire restrictions and high wind. If the wind is down tomorrow, they'll be open.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Non-range trip today
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
EM, very few indoor ranges allow BP that I ever came in contact with.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »
I wouldn't be able to shoot my .45 Colts? That sucks. It sort of sounds like Shoot Straight, a  store and indoor range I'll never waste my time or money at.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:06:21 AM by Pustic »
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
You can shoot all the .45 Colt ammo you want, assuming it's factory ammo with smokeless powder loads.

So, I ended up going to the other local indoor shooting range, since the outdoor range was closed again because of the severe winds we are getting here, along with the fire restrictions.

Other than remembering why I don't like indoor ranges to begin with, I did find out a few things.

I went there, primarily, to try out the new 1858 conversion pistol. It was apathetic about the 255 grain 45 Colts I fed it. Then I broke out the little Bear Creek 165gr LRNFP bullets. Winchester brass, Winchester primers, backed by 7.7 grains of Trail Boss. My Vaquero hated them - all over the paper with the ten rounds I shot.

The 1858 loved them. Shot the other 40 rounds at 10 yards, off hand.

Results...

Can't wait for the outdoor range to open back up so I can give them a serious workout.

In other news, the 300 gr. Hornady XTP-mags shot quite well through my Ruger Redhawk - PMC brass/win large pistol primers/18.5 gr H110. Recoil was not excessive, nor were there any pressure signs. I didn't shot many, not wanting to kill my ears, or those of the other shooters. Another reason why I hate indoor ranges. Love the new gold dot sights I put on the Redhawk.