Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Thinking about a Navy....  (Read 18478 times)

Offline 44 Dave

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about a Navy....
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
Congratulations guys, you will love your .36 Navies. You may want a pair.  (@+

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 04:17:52 AM »
Thanks for posting this ssb73q, I just now ordered me one of those.  :)

Hi Pustic, I already had a Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber. I wanted to own the historically accurate .36 caliber. At some time in the future I want to get a 38 Special conversion cylinder. The 1851 .36 caliber uses a 0.375-0.380" ball, the 38 Special a 0.357" bullet. That creates an accuracy problem. To properly use a 38 Special conversion cylinder and expect reasonable accuracy, a heeled bullet is required. However, the hollow base of the 0.357" wadcutter allows expansion of the wadcutter to be able to accurately use 0.357" bullets. A few years ago I loaded up many hundreds 38 Special with wadcutters and TrailBoss that would be ideal for a 38 Special conversion cylinder.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »
I have one I found in a bargain cave. Was a little buggered around the wedge but still a nice pistol. Haven't shot it much yet but with some tuning think I'll be happy.       Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »
Hi Mark, good for you! Before you shoot your new 1851, measure both the bolt thickness and cylinder bolt slot width. A common problem with the Pietta 1851 and 1860 is that sometimes the bolt doesn't fit well in the cylinder bolt slot. There seems to be a tendency where the Pietta bolt is wider than the cylinder bolt slot. That causes the edge of the cylinder slot to get buggered. If you don't have a way to make those measurements, remove the bolt and test if it easily goes into the cylinder bolt slot. If the bolt is too wide, a little stoning of the bolt edge will bring it into correct dimension.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
Thanks for posting this ssb73q, I just now ordered me one of those.  :)

Hi Pustic, I already had a Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber. I wanted to own the historically accurate .36 caliber. At some time in the future I want to get a 38 Special conversion cylinder. The 1851 .36 caliber uses a 0.375-0.380" ball, the 38 Special a 0.357" bullet. That creates an accuracy problem. To properly use a 38 Special conversion cylinder and expect reasonable accuracy, a heeled bullet is required. However, the hollow base of the 0.357" wadcutter allows expansion of the wadcutter to be able to accurately use 0.357" bullets. A few years ago I loaded up many hundreds 38 Special with wadcutters and TrailBoss that would be ideal for a 38 Special conversion cylinder.

Regards,
Richard

Hey Richard, I don't plan on shooting .38 Special out of it, just roundballs. I don't have any guns that shoot the .38 Special, so I don't reload for it.  :)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »
I'm glad I got one while it was on sale. It should be here by tomorrow!  :)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
I have one Pietta 1851, and a Colt 2nd generation 1851. I love 'em.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »
Hi, my new on sale ($170) Pietta .36 1851 arrived safely here yesterday. I gotta tell you, Pietta is making their current revolvers perfect, this revolver is just another example. My new 1851 is as perfect a revolver as ever came from Colt. Fit and finish is superb and the timing is perfect. 

There is a small difference in the new Pietta .36 1851 compared to two other Pietta .44 1851s I own. The watertable of the .36 1851 is straight while the .44 1851s have a cutout for the rebated cylinder of the .44 caliber. Of interest is that the .44 1851 C&B cylinders fits perfectly on the .36 1851 frame not needing the watertable cutout.  I put on a .45 Colt conversion cylinder to test timing, perfect. It's good to know that the .36 1851 frame can be used with .44 cylinders and barrels.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
Hi, yeah, no picture it didn't happen? OK just for the doubters:

Something also nice about this new revolver is that I was easily able to remove the nipples. Pietta must have fired seven foot Brunhilda the Hun that used a 100ft-lb torque wrench to install nipples. Five foot easy Ester must have replaced Brunhilda.  *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
Very nice. I'm sure that it is as much a beauty in the hand as it is on the page. Congrats, and enjoy to the utmost.   (@+
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
Very nice. I do love an 1851.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 06:24:37 PM »
Sweet! I probably shoulda jumped, but...oh well. Now, if Pietta could just "get a grip" on the whole grip thing...they'd be perfect.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
It's true. Check the grip shape on my 2nd Generation Colt...

Compared to the Pietta...

Much more flare at the bottom of the Pietta grip.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
Not only does it look "wrong", it feels wrong to me, too.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"