Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Only the lonely  (Read 15035 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: Only the lonely
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
Hope you find that trigger guard sourdough.   I have a spare grip frame I plan on making a birds head grip with.  I bought it on ebay,  cost more for shipping than I paid for the part.   Are you watching GunBroker?   A couple guys on there are buying revolvers and stripping them down to sell the parts.

I visited GB today and no luck, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Jim, create a watch list and you will be notified when one comes up for sale. GB is good that way.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 04:31:46 AM »
I thought LEE built the 6 cavity molds and also thought that they built the 18 cavity molds but cant seem to find them rite now.

bigted,

Do I have to do everything for you?!? ;) ;) ;)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1202/1

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=8ea1b8fc-d133-4c8d-83d9-20b3e2959d21

These are the only two sources of which I am aware.  The BigLube molds are NOT made by Lee.

I have not heard any good reviews of the 18 ball molds.

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:33:55 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 05:02:13 AM »
Hi, frankly, unless someone is working to sell lead balls or bullets, I don't see the value in a mold that casts more than 2 rounds. I purchased the Lee 18 round 00-Buck mold to make balls for my .31 caliber revolvers, see:
http://leeprecision.com/00-buckshot-mold.html

Yes it cast a lot of rounds quickly, but the inspection time required overwhelmed any benefit. I can cast over 200 excellent quality rounds/hour using a two round mold.

Just saying.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »
I thought LEE built the 6 cavity molds and also thought that they built the 18 cavity molds but cant seem to find them rite now.

bigted,

Do I have to do everything for you?!? ;) ;) ;)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1202/1

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=8ea1b8fc-d133-4c8d-83d9-20b3e2959d21

These are the only two sources of which I am aware.  The BigLube molds are NOT made by Lee.

I have not heard any good reviews of the 18 ball molds.

Kevin

Kevin ... LOL ... why yes I think that would be dandy ... ill send you my address and you can deliver the mold and show me how it works for about three weeks. not asking too much is it ...  ;) ;) ;)

really tho thanks for the link to tow. I had my blinders on as I went to the last place I had found them and they were not listed anymore. maybe Lee is going to discontinue them or maybe they just don't sell fast enough for the company's I have dealt with in the past.

at any rate ... thanks again.
BIGTED

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
Jim, create a watch list and you will be notified when one comes up for sale. GB is good that way.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll go to GB and see if I can muddle through it.

Edit: Went there and did that, but I have to go through "Save Searches" under My Gunbroker account/registration in order to do that. I created an email notification if anything comes up.

Am I on the right track?

I think so, but as a noob, I think someone needs to point me in the right direction if I am wrong.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:10:54 PM by sourdough »

Offline ninetoes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Looking good.  Now, get out there and shoot them!

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I would be shooting them if there wasn't over five feet of snow on my range. Today is a day for casting .375 conicals in the basement.

Regards,
Richard

Casting indoors is not a great idea, especially in a basement, unless you've set up some really good ventilation. Lead fumes are a capital way of giving yourself (and others) lead poisoning, and it will go through your whole home. Take that outside!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »
Yes, unless you have a dedicated range hood with an outside exhaust, not a good idea.
That being said, lead does not actually begin giving off toxic fumes until way above casting temperatures. But better safe than sorry.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »

Casting indoors is not a great idea, especially in a basement, unless you've set up some really good ventilation. Lead fumes are a capital way of giving yourself (and others) lead poisoning, and it will go through your whole home. Take that outside!
[/quote]

While not quite on topic, when I was a kid in Detroit, my father had a bullet trap fabricated from 1/4" steel that we used indoors in the basement. I'm sure it was not legal but in the sixties it seemed no neighbors or cops cared. It was sturdy enough to handle .22 LR and .38 Special from a High Standard Sentinel that my grandfather owned.

The range was about 40'. We shot from a rest at the wet bar (!) through a doorway into the trap.

I remember occasionally getting hit with lead fragments while shooting my Remington 510 single shot rifle blown back from the trap through the 3'-0" doorway. We thought nothing of it back then. Many good times back then with no hearing protection.  ::) 

I also worked at a trap and skeet shooting park near Omaha NE in '69-'70 with no ear protection.

Ah, the good old days.

Excuse me... what did you say?  (jh

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »
Yes, unless you have a dedicated range hood with an outside exhaust, not a good idea.
That being said, lead does not actually begin giving off toxic fumes until way above casting temperatures. But better safe than sorry.

Let me clarify: this is a true statement when using an electric thermostatically-controlled pot. Lead melts around 600 degrees and fumes aren't given off until quite a bit above that. When using open heat, however, it's far easier to overshoot your intended temperature.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
Hi, lead itself isn't absorbed in the body, only the lead oxide. If I had children in the house I wouldn't cast lead indoors. The problem with lead and children is brain development. Adults aren't an issue for lead poisoning with the small lead oxide loading in the air from bullet casting using a temperature controlled lead pot. Get old enough and the only lead that could be a problem is from the muzzle of a gun. LOL

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
Hi, today I learned why Hickok favored the 1851. The weather finally allowed shooting 6 cylinders previously loaded up with 20gr Black MZ and 36 caliber balls. Since I preloaded the cylinders a couple of months ago I used overball lube 50/50 beeswax and olive oil so as to not contaminate the powder. I started my shooting at 25 yards on steel targets. They just produced one ragged hole with a two handed hold. This can't be, so I moved back to 50yds. From 50yds I was producing a group of ~2" with the remaining cylinders! I have never in my life (and I have been handgun shooting for over 50 years) found a handgun so accurate. The recoil isn't much more than a .22 and I suspect that the lack of recoil contributed to my results.

The 1851 Pietta did have cap sucking issues where caps needed to be removed from hammer/receiver space, but the accuracy was beyond any expectations I had. I had shot this revolver before with a conversion cylinder, but not with the accuracy shown today.

Yes indeed, today I learned why Hickock favored the 1851 Navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
Yeah, my .36 Navy has put many of my .44s to shame with the exception of my target Remmy which shoots like a laser beam.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »
Of my own C&B one is a Pietta ’51, had it for eighteen years.  It works wonderfully and I could never have gotten by without it.  Could not get by without that to shoot, I love it. 

I like the top two in your picture but ‘they all’ real pretty.  I very much appreciate the wood on that boy second from the top.

Do you find 20 grains about right for max accuracy?  I use 22 as near as I can get it.  Just got to love those '51's as getting close to the perfect hand gun.  (this from a mostly .44 guy).
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
Hi G Dog, the second from the top 1851 in the photo had the Pietta finish stripped and then the stock was Tung oiled. The wood on the top 1851 has a lot more figure than the second 1851 and some day I will also refinish that stock.

I load 20gr (by volume) of Black MZ in my .36 1851s cap and ball cylinders which seems perfect for excellent accuracy. I also like my .44s, but the .36 is becoming my favorite for accuracy and efficiency of lead and powder. Using 38 Special HBWC in conversion cylinders is also an advantage for the .36 caliber revolver.

Regards,
Richard