Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: gen 3 357 workout  (Read 5629 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
gen 3 357 workout
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
got the 5.5 inch Colt thumb buster out after loading some 357 cases with 5 grains of trailboss under some 148 grain HBWC's. man these are a hoot to shoot and regulate just at point of aim. when shooting the 50 I had loaded I soon made the correct assumption that I didn't bring enough of these lil poppers.

the revolver is the third gen I traded for a couple weeks ago and after foolin with the action for awhile ... got it to a crisp 2 to 3 pound pull and a very smooth action with positive engagements in all the right places. I also had a Pietta 1860 grip frame complete so I set about trimming it for the Colt. after enlarging the screw holes and also the screw head holes they fit with very little buffing or grinding. just had to carve a little off the bottom of the trigger guard to clearance the Colt trigger. not nearly as pretty as the original Colt grip frame and the brass trigger guard is taking a little getting used to but MY MY ... that grip fits me to a tee. I love that '60' grip with my over large mitts.

all in all a very fun afternoon and the revolver is punching holes around 2 inch at 20 yds if I do my part. still getting used to the small notch in the frame as im used to the enlarged and square notch's in my C&B's that I have enlarged so I have a good sight picture. may have to get out the tape and a small file and work on opening up that rear frame notch. did it on my Vaquero and it now has a very nice and wide easy to see notch in the frame that these poor ol eyes can pickup with ease.

so even tho no photo's ... that's my tale and beings there seems to be very little activity ... thought id boast/share my fun afternoon with my companero's on a Colt type afternoon.

I am liking this 357 more and more ... even tho it has no place in history ... it plays well with others. fun with 22 or so grains of GOEX cartridge or 2F powder under a cast 158 grain semi wadcutter as well ... does not wear out my arm ... and eats little powder n lead for an outing. PLUS ... I can taste the grouse and quail that are going to be brought to the fire with it.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: gen 3 357 workout
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Sounds like a good time was had by all! :)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
indeed. gotta love the old peace maker style and after fitting the '60' grip frame to it ... it shoots every bit as good as my short barreled 1860 conversion I modified and tinkered with for so long.

as stated tho ... this 357 cal is growing on me more n more. almost as much fun as my 1861 Pietta with the '60' grip frame on it.

you been out shootin lately there Cap?
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »
Not at all.
Have to wait for spring, I guess.
I still have BP guns I've never fired..... (jh
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »
that will make ya irritable and onery ive heard.  :D sounds like the Captain needs some Doctors orders  *6'

(@+ ...  (7& ...  *k) ...  8) .........  (*3 ...  ::)
BIGTED

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
Ted, I would love to see a picture or two of your modification.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
I will do my best on the pictures. :)
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
here is hoping that these come thru. stupid bucket works sometimes and not others.

I used an old Pietta 60 army grip frame I had and didn't care if I buggered it up as I want to get a uberti frame and grip to do a permanent job. this also has the flair on the bottom of the grip that I do not really care for so this is primarily the why of eventually going to the uberti frame and wood.

BIGTED

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »
With the refitted handle from the sixty this should really be something to see.  Looking forward to that.

Hey, just while I was writing this Bigted posted those pictures...Man that looks great!  I really like that.  Bet it handles like a dream.  Always loved the grip on a sixty and on a SAA ... man I can only imagine.  Nice work there.

Wait till Spring?... Go shoot Captain, a guy can wear a coat.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:05:47 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »
I really do like the longer grip and it feels rite in the hand [except for the slight flair on the bottom. it is only a 357 so the recoil is usually not fierce anyway. when I get it all worked out with this one I plan to do the same for the fancy 7.5 inch second gen in 45 Colt.

just wish I could find a nice steel trigger guard instead of the brass. guess I will have to polish it up and re-stain the wood so it all looks oh-natural. thinkin I will stain the wood after smoothing some of the places out and using a boiled linseed ointment on it to give a nice sheen without being gaudy.

so there is my tale so far and as I wrok thru I will post more photo's of my lil project.
BIGTED

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:57 PM »
Bigted, you did some good work there.  Combined the best of two worlds.  That is really unique and I have long wondered how such a combo would look. Even better than I imagined - which was pretty good for starts. Brass guard looks good to me, it’s a 1860 handle after all. 

Never minded the bottom flair on my (Pietta) 1860’s, less historically accurate I guess but never minded them just the same.

You did a nice piece of work.  The boys are going to like that, just like me.

Best regards to ya.    G
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »
thankyou kindly sir.

I loaded some full wadcutters over 3 then 4 followed by the best ... 5 grains of Trailboss all in 357 brass. these last did well but I wanted a better bullet for hurting small game at longer range so cast up a bunch of Lee's 158 grain semi wadcutters.

taking the 158's I ladder loaded 15 of each at first 4 then 4.5 followed by the 5 grain loads of the same TB. the 5 grain load shined but still not what I had in mind for accuracy.

I followed these with a 13.5 grain load of IMR 4227 under the 158's and let them blaze ... my this Colt likes those loads. got several same hole hits with this and I think I was the reason they didn't all huddle in the same raged hole at the 15 yard range I shot her at.

that 4227 load hits rite at point of aim exactly where a feller wants it to. what is funny is that all my cast loads hit left of aim and these jacketed loads hit rite where I aimed it at. seems funny to me but I will play with some cast and the 4227 as well as some 2400 powder in various loads to hopefully find a load that will regulate with my sights like the expensive jacketed bullets do.

AWWW more loading and shooting ... life is so unfair some times ...  (7& ...  ::) ...  ;)
BIGTED