Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Defarbed Leech & Rigdon  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Southron

• View Profile
Defarbed Leech & Rigdon
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
Lodgewood has a "defarbed" replica Leech & Rigdon for sale:

http://www.lodgewood.com/Custom-Mosbys-Raiders-Leech-Rigdon-Revolver-by-Novelty-Ordinance_p_1822.html

As they have had it for sale a long time, I am wondering if the price is an obstacle.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Defarbed Leech & Rigdon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »
Sure looks good.  What's a "twisted pattern"?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Cylinders on originals were made of twisted iron and have a distinctive visible twist pattern on the surface of the cylinder.

I'm assuming his started it's life as a Uberti L&R.  Would be nice to know it's pedigree - maker & date.  Even with all the work that's been done to it, $465 is a little high IMNSHO
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
I originally posted the information about the "Defarbed" Leech & Rigdon to let members on this BB know of the work some gunsmiths are doing in the "Defarbing" arena. It is mostly the authentic re-enactors that want to use de-farbed guns.

That being said, I sincerely doubt few if any Leech & Rigdons were used by Mosby's men. Mosby personally favored a pair of Colt 1860 revolvers and so did apparently most of his men. They captured a lot of Yankee pistols, carbines and ammo because they operated behind Yankee lines in classic guerrilla operations.

Mosby was one of the two men that outwitted and defeated General Custer. The other man was an Indian by the name of Sitting Bull- and he did that a few years after The War of Northern Aggression.

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:59 AM »
Just in case you didn't know:

John S. Mosby. by profession, was a lawyer. After the war he moved out to California and became a lawyer for the
Southern Pacific Railroad and settled in what is now the Los Angeles area.

He also became good friends with the District Attorney. The D.A. owned a large ranch just out side of Los Angeles and Mosby often spent the weekend at the ranch with the D.A.

The D.A.'s young son took to Mosby and they became almost inseparable companions. The young man grew up listening to stories of "The War" that Mosby told him. Matter of fact, when the young man was 15, he and Mosby traveled back to Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania and visited many of the Civil War battlefields. Mosby acted as his guide.

For his first year in college, the young man enrolled in Virginia Military Institute and after that transferred to West Point.

Because of Mosby, the young man decided on a military career.

The young mans name?

George S. Patton, Jr.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »
We have a well-known member here who’s ancestor was a highly esteemed officer in Mosby’s command.  His nickname was ‘deadly’.  Mosby mentions his prowess in writing. I have verified this. Seen photos of both and in the way of family resemblance neither could ever deny a connection with the other.  I’ll leave it to that member to reveal himself or not and possibly post the photo of his family member.

I suppose very many of us here had kin in the Civil War.  It is interesting to me to think about.  Always has been.

Somewhat off the topic of defarbed L&R's, (or is it?) … hope you don’t mind it Southron but since you brought it up I assume it's OK.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:12:04 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »
I hope that member you mention in your posting will reveal himself and post a picture of himself and his illustrious ancestor.

I had ancestors that served in the 2nd Georgia Cavalry (under Nathan Bedford Forrest for a while), the 3rd Georgia Infantry (under Robert E. Lee) and the 61st Georgia Infantry (under Braxton Bragg, Joe Johnson and and Peg-Leg Hood.)