Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 349763 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #1560 on: October 24, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »
Digging the rack EM.
Got to Florida from the Arctic (by comparison) state of Idaho. I could get used to this 76 degrees at 04:00...
Is 50 too young to be a snowbird? (asking for a friend).

Met up with a co-worker (best friend from Kellogg, which is the humble little berg at the top of the state I joined the Remmie forum from), (I got him the... {well he got himself, but I turned him onto this outfit}... job with me) dinner, drinks, conversation... life is good.
He managed to take my "CB radio virginity" and graced the new truck with a Cobra 29LTD Welcoming Gift.
Looks cool, need to tune the antennae...

You need to find a cb shop and have the radio peaked and tuned. SWR needs to be 1 or less but you probably already know that.
I didn't, thanks.
Have run a year and a half without one, this is a first. CB shop for the SWR tuning, and getting the radio peaked and tuned is next on the list.

You could have the key turned down and just the swing peaked and run a kicker. A barefoot radio isn't going to have much distance. I ran a 400 watt TNT when I was driving. The LTD is a good radio but it needs a better mic. Astatic and Road Kings are very good noise cancelling mics. The cord on the RK tends to break wires. I ran an RK 56 with an Astatic cord. Don't try to run an amp without turning the key down.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 24, 2021, 06:37:24 PM »
Currently sitting on the back deck of our cabin at Karchner Caverns enjoying the night quiet. Going to the Tucson Desert Museum tomorrow.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 24, 2021, 06:38:59 PM »
Currently sitting on the back deck of our cabin at Karchner Caverns enjoying the night quiet. Going to the Tucson Desert Museum tomorrow.

Sounds a mite peaceful, EM! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 26, 2021, 06:38:39 AM »
Digging the rack EM.
Got to Florida from the Arctic (by comparison) state of Idaho. I could get used to this 76 degrees at 04:00...
Is 50 too young to be a snowbird? (asking for a friend).

Met up with a co-worker (best friend from Kellogg, which is the humble little berg at the top of the state I joined the Remmie forum from), (I got him the... {well he got himself, but I turned him onto this outfit}... job with me) dinner, drinks, conversation... life is good.
He managed to take my "CB radio virginity" and graced the new truck with a Cobra 29LTD Welcoming Gift.
Looks cool, need to tune the antennae...

You need to find a cb shop and have the radio peaked and tuned. SWR needs to be 1 or less but you probably already know that.
I didn't, thanks.
Have run a year and a half without one, this is a first. CB shop for the SWR tuning, and getting the radio peaked and tuned is next on the list.

You could have the key turned down and just the swing peaked and run a kicker. A barefoot radio isn't going to have much distance. I ran a 400 watt TNT when I was driving. The LTD is a good radio but it needs a better mic. Astatic and Road Kings are very good noise-canceling mics. The cord on the RK tends to break wires. I ran an RK 56 with an Astatic cord. Don't try to run an amp without turning the key down.
Swung by the CB shop right at FGL, Exit 2, Shakey's I believe. He's been at it for 32 years.
He measured my SWR, said I was 1.3, and couldn't get it any better if I tried.
PAid the $25 to have it peaked and tuned.
Specifically did NOT buy the "with blue tooth" model, just so I could upgrade the mic.
After I grab a General Lee, (or a Conex 3300) this will move to the Jeep. then antennas, then a booster.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 26, 2021, 11:08:36 AM »
Swung by the CB shop right at FGL, Exit 2, Shakey's I believe. He's been at it for 32 years.
He measured my SWR, said I was 1.3, and couldn't get it any better if I tried.
PAid the $25 to have it peaked and tuned.
Specifically did NOT buy the "with blue tooth" model, just so I could upgrade the mic.
After I grab a General Lee, (or a Conex 3300) this will move to the Jeep. then antennas, then a booster.

I had a Connex 3300 and it's a good radio but the upper and lower channels don't really match up with anybody else's too well . The echo on it sucks. It's nothing but a reverb. Back in the day I used an external Maaco echo box. It's a true echo with a repeater. I don't know if they make them anymore tho. The Superstar is the better radio than the Connex IMO. I don't know much about the General Lee.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 26, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
My son and I cut branches off the roof from the latest wind storm

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 26, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
My son and I cut branches off the roof from the latest wind storm

Yes, there were quite a few branches down around us here.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 28, 2021, 11:29:41 AM »
It's more fun to go shooting then to cut branches off the tree to save my roof.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 28, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »
Priorities damn

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: October 28, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »
Priorities damn
That's right Sooty. Get them priorities straight!! (7+"

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 28, 2021, 09:14:39 PM »
Picked where I'm going to shut down tonight based on its ambient light pollution, as opposed to its amenities.

Why? well... duh... lol

(shot a bunch, dunno if this is the best or not, just picked one)
(sunset is where I started doing the calculations on my shooting spot)
(I personally am happier with the sunset that I DID NOT expect to turn out than I am the Astro)
(one more Milky, just because I can)
(Okay, two more, I'm in the cab, one CAN sprint in Ostrich boots, if one tries, 10-second shutter timer)

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 29, 2021, 02:21:47 AM »
That is cool

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: October 29, 2021, 08:18:42 AM »
Great pics Clyde. I really like the ones where the interior of the truck is glowing red. Very eye catching.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: October 29, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »
Great pics Clyde. I really like the ones where the interior of the truck is glowing red. Very eye catching.

Love lights.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: October 29, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »

Love lights.

:love_x_2:
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln