Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 349741 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #2115 on: March 17, 2023, 03:33:12 PM »
With the rain finally letting off, this morning I planned to knock down the 2' tall grass in the yard so we can find the cat when she's out there. The dogs are tall enough to not get lost but they don't like wandering around in the tall wet grass. The RV is nosed into a 4' stacked retaining wall in the yard and has to be moved out so I don't knock a windshield out with a rock. There was just enough time to get that done before a water leak detection service was due to come to find a .02 CF per minute leak we have somewhere in the main line coming up the driveway. It doesn't sound like much but .02 CF/Min means almost 30 CF a day and our water bill is $160 instead of the normal $60-70.

So I prepped the RV to back out and my wife, Marie, went out to move the car to the side of the driveway so I had a place to put it. I had the engine running and was about to start back when Marie came running in a panic saying there was water everywhere. I shut down and went out to find a sizable geyser in the yard where she had run over a faucet on a stand pipe. I went down the driveway to the street to shut the water off at the meter but couldn't get it so I had her call the water company to come turn it off and postpone the leak detection guy. Meanwhile I turned the water off at the house so when the service was shut off, the house lines wouldn't drain out the broken pipe.

The water company came and I met them while they shut off the geyser. I went back up to the house and dug up around the broken pipe to see if there was something I could do to affect a temporary repair. It was a 1" PVC line that broke well above the main feed line. I rummaged through all my PVC fittings and found there was nothing to get the faucet back working but I did find a 1" cap. I cleaned and trimmed the line and capped it off. Then Marie called the water company back out to turn it on again. Once water was restored, the temporary repair was good so we were back in business. The leak detection guy has been rescheduled to come Tuesday to find the leak.

Then I backed the RV out and knocked down the grass. My 1-1/2 hour job turned into a 4 hour one. It's done, though, and now I'm ready to relax. When the leak is found and a plumber comes out to fix that, I'll have him restore the faucet.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 17, 2023, 03:53:25 PM »
I took the zero turn I've been working on out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. It worked perfectly. I'm just watching it rain today.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 17, 2023, 04:16:25 PM »
Cleaned house and got the corned beef and cabbage cooking for dinner tonight. We have my parents coming over for dinner. After cleaning, spent the afternoon working on slot car stuff.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 17, 2023, 06:11:54 PM »
Rolled out extra early this morning.  Rode my horse and shot .454 paper carts with a Remington at a 10”frying pan I keep at a little clearing way up in the timber.  There is still a little snow up there in the shade.

It being St. Patrick’s Day and all I brought some refreshment and had a nip.  Shot 18 more rounds for a total of 56 rounds.  I love the smell of T7 in the morning.  Leisurely made my way home and cleaned a gun.

It was a cold foggy morning and I had fun.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 02:21:53 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Baron Von Kesselwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 20, 2023, 01:21:42 PM »
walked dogs ,several times , chow , some liquid spirits , (not in correct order over the past days )

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 21, 2023, 09:21:52 AM »
Still crawling out of the abyss of covid. I'm back to work now and testing negative but I still feel like canine feces. While we had to cancel our St. Pat's festivities for our guests due to me and the wife still testing positive on Friday, I still managed to whip up the usual fare for just me & the wife. After the usual Guinness with dinner and Irish whiskeys afterwards, I actually felt a bunch better.
Glad most of you had a good St. Pat's as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 21, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »
I've been trying to get my shed straightened out so I can actually do something in it. A job I've been dreading since we moved here.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 22, 2023, 12:07:02 PM »
Been casting slot car bodies.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 22, 2023, 04:47:05 PM »
Those look might cool, Dave. Are those tires on the wheels good to use or do you have some rubber ones?

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 23, 2023, 12:04:56 AM »
Here’s hoping Captain & Family are feeling better and mending up well.

+1 on that Irish Whiskey..
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 23, 2023, 07:13:59 AM »
Here’s hoping Captain & Family are feeling better and mending up well.

+1 on that Irish Whiskey..

Thanks, G...
Yes sir, getting back to normal with the usual "long" side effects...but back at work now and rejoining the living.
And yup, that Irish whiskey will kill more than your liver if you let it do it's work. :big_drink_2:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 23, 2023, 04:57:45 PM »
Those look might cool, Dave. Are those tires on the wheels good to use or do you have some rubber ones?

Thanks Marshal. Those stacks of tires are actually just for decoration. I use them around the track like a real race track. You can see a stack of them right by the coupe in the turn.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:07:00 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 23, 2023, 07:25:36 PM »
That's awesome Dave. I never saw a track with pigs and geese in the infield. I did race on a dirt track with football goal posts tho. What kind of mold do you use for the bodies and what all goes into building a slot car?

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:49 PM »
Thanks, Dave. That paint job is outstanding. It looks like you even got shadowing on the number. Very authentic looking.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 24, 2023, 09:07:57 AM »
That's awesome Dave. I never saw a track with pigs and geese in the infield. I did race on a dirt track with football goal posts tho. What kind of mold do you use for the bodies and what all goes into building a slot car?

Thanks Hawg. I tried to make my track as realistic as I could. Like a model railroad layout kind of. It's supposed to be a simple hometown racetrack. Here's a few more of the track.

The track is made of wood and the slots are routed. It was 8'x14'.

The cars are all handmade from resin castings that I make. I use a combination of old car models, die cast cars, and hand carving from basswood to create a master to cast from. None of these cars exist anywhere to copy, so I have to make them. They are all 1/32 scale.

The chassis are handmade from brass and piano wire, and are all different depending on what car they're for. The tires are also my own castings from urethane rubber.

Sorry it's so long winded. Probably bore you guys to tears.  :lol-049:
-Abe Lincoln