Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 346806 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2015, 04:06:02 AM »
Had another day off from sharpening yesterday.  Herself and I got into the garden and harvested what may be the last tomatoes of the season.  About 6 pounds of good looking fruits and they will get roasted and frozen for use in the winter.

I also got to do something I usually try to do on All Saints Day but normally do not get around to it until Thanksgiving Friday and sometimes not until the day after Christmas.  I got my garlic planted for next year.  About 50 cloves in the ground.  Hopefully, the weather will let them grow about 4-6" before I need to cover them with a blanket of straw for the winter.  Then, in the spring, they continue growing right through the straw and I harvest them around the 4th of July.

I am leaving the tomato plants in for a bit longer in case some more of the fruits want to ripen a bit.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2015, 05:03:51 AM »
Our garden was sort of mediocre this year. May or may not do one next year.

It's Friday, and supposed to be a light work day. So, naturally, all hell will break loose today.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2015, 03:56:43 AM »
We usually only plant tomatoes and garlic in half of the beds.  We rotate so no food crops are grown in the beds in successive years.  The "empty" beds are planted in flowers, zinnias, cosmos and other annuals.  Bees, butterflies and birds are frequent and welcome visitors to our garden.

From today until Thanksgiving, I will have only two days off.  And if I can book events, I will work those days also!  Sharpening, while not really seasonal, does have a busy season.  Usually right before the feasts, holidays and Holydays.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
My wife's birthday and mine are exactly a week apart in October. She bought me a milling vise for my drill press. I bought her a propane coffee maker for the camping trip we have coming up.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2015, 04:13:49 AM »
Getting ready for a business trip to Chicago.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »
The vehicle is packed and I am finishing my last cup of coffee before herself and I get going.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2015, 05:40:04 AM »
Trying to get back to "normal" whatever that is.   On the 15th drove in the middle of the night to daughter's house in Wyoming.   Waited while doctors unwrapped an umbilical cord from my new granddaughters neck and head, and safely delivered the baby by "C" section .   Stayed there until last Sunday.   Left my wife there and drove home so I could work.   It rained most of last week so I got two days of work in.  Should have stayed in Wyoming.   
Drove back up on Saturday morning to retrieve my wife,  my daughter was having a lot of pain in her back.  At midnight my Son-in-Law decided she needed to go to hospital.   They did surgery immediately to remove an infected cyst from her tail bone.  Stayed up all night while they were at the hospital.   Daughter went home from hospital Yesterday,   We stayed as long as we could but had to load up and get back to paying the bills. 
Now maybe we can get back to a routine.   The baby (my 6th grandchild) is doing great,  my daughter seems to be doing fine, so I can now concentrate on getting back to regular things until the next crisis arises.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »
Hope everything goes well with them.

Long list of things to do today, not the least of which is smoking a batch of maple-pepper bacon.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »
Hoping for a swift and complete recovery, Mike! And congrats on the new grandbaby! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
The Maple-Pepper bacon is out of the smoker! Being cottage bacon, made from pork shoulder - actually from boneless country style ribs - it is very much like ham. I like ham...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:30:10 PM by Electric Miner »

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2015, 03:20:27 AM »
...Trying to get back to "normal" whatever that is ...  so I can now concentrate on getting back to regular things until the next crisis arises...

Thoughts and prayers for you and the family.  Take care of the family, that is what matters. 

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:00 AM »
Thanks all,   Mom and baby are doing fine. 

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »
Thanks all,   Mom and baby are doing fine.
Great to hear that Mike.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2015, 06:40:39 AM »
Miner, Yummy!  L@.

About how thick do you slice yours?

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »
Cottage bacon gets sliced about 1/4 inch, since it's more like ham than bacon. Bacon gets about 1/8 of an inch.

Seven pounds of Maple-Pepper bacon sliced, packaged in one pound packages and ready for the big campout, which starts tomorrow.

Actually, it's 7-3/4 pounds, but 12 oz. of it is being cooked and taken in to my wife at work so her co-workers can sample it.