Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 346848 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #960 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:22 AM »
I've always been a stickler for straightness too. The prep work is where the paint job is built. I always said, I could probably train monkeys to spray the paint, but it's a hell of a lot harder to train someone to prep properly.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 05, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »
I've always been a stickler for straightness too. The prep work is where the paint job is built. I always said, I could probably train monkeys to spray the paint, but it's a hell of a lot harder to train someone to prep properly.

I've met some great metal guys over the years.... a true skill built on experience, not a training manual. I'm a hack, just haven't done enough to develop the skill. Minor stuff and final work I'm OK with. The Camino will need a couple of small patch panels in the rear and one under the rear window. I'll let the pro's do that too when the time comes.

But that is all down the road..... were pulling our hair out trying to get injectors to fire like they should. We can fire them individually, but they don't fire when trying to start. Going to try another computer late this week. Hoping that does it....or it's gotta go to the tuner to build a program from scratch. That spells about $1,000+ just in labor. 2nd guessing this computerized engine stuff about now.....but fingers crossed.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 05, 2020, 02:37:52 PM »
I hear ya on the computerized stuff. I'm not a fan, and never will be.

When I was working at a little hot rod shop out in Fallbrook, we put the motor and trans from a 90's-something Corvette, into a 59 Chevy pickup. It was a nightmare. We ended up having to buy some kind of electronic gizmo that interfaced with some other gizmo to make it all work right. It wasn't fun.

Give me a SBC and a Turbo 350 any day. Or even better, an M-21 or 22.

This was my 59 Chevy. I put a 327 and a Muncie in it. Wish I still had it.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 05, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
I hear ya on the computerized stuff. I'm not a fan, and never will be.

When I was working at a little hot rod shop out in Fallbrook, we put the motor and trans from a 90's-something Corvette, into a 59 Chevy pickup. It was a nightmare. We ended up having to buy some kind of electronic gizmo that interfaced with some other gizmo to make it all work right. It wasn't fun.

Give me a SBC and a Turbo 350 any day. Or even better, an M-21 or 22.

This was my 59 Chevy. I put a 327 and a Muncie in it. Wish I still had it.

I bet you do!! That is sweet Dave. They've got most of the LS conversion stuff all figured out now on the 05 down stuff. However this is a newer motor, so it's a bit more of a learning curve for the guys. Fortunately they wanted the challenge so the next one is easier. In the long run it'll be great....but for now it's frustrating! I just wanna drive it and move to the next phase....interior.

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 04, 2020, 06:53:53 PM »
My wife has been wanting a gun of her own. We had to go to the pawn/gunshop to get one of mine out of hock so I told her to look around and see if she could find something she liked. She decided on an ugly little S&W M&P Shield EZ 9. It wouldn't have been my choice but it was going to be hers so we put it on layaway. It fits her well and the slide is really easy to rack. She has weak wrists so that's a plus. I think she'll be happy with it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 04, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
M&P is one of the best selling guns on the market today. Good choice.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 04, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
I have the M&P Shield 40. It's a great little pistol. With the 6 round mag in it, it's tiny. Perfect for carry.

The two at the top are with the 6 round mag and different floor plates. The bottom pics are the 7 rounder and different floor plates. It's a pretty versatile little gun.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:57:30 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 05, 2020, 05:12:02 AM »
This one is a little bigger and the slide is really easy to rack. I'd say twice as easy as the standard M&P 8+1 capacity with an easy to load magazine. It is hammer fired so no squitchy hinged trigger. I've watched a lot of reviews on you tube and quite frankly I am impressed and it takes a lot for a polymer gun to impress me. If it just wasn't so fugly. I get her riled up whenever I tell her it's an ugly plastic gun (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 05, 2020, 05:13:26 AM »
This one is a little bigger and the slide is really easy to rack. I'd say twice as easy as the standard M&P with 8+1 capacity and an easy to load magazine. It is hammer fired so no squitchy hinged trigger. I've watched a lot of reviews on you tube and quite frankly I am impressed and it takes a lot for a polymer gun to impress me. If it just wasn't so fugly. I get her riled up whenever I tell her it's an ugly plastic gun (7+"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:15:56 AM by Hawg »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 05, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
I didn't even realize it was a hammer gun Hawg. I did see the grip safety and lack of hinged trigger. Is it DA only? Or can you manually cock the hammer?

I'm glad the mags are easier to load. That is a royal pain with mine. The first one or two rounds are no big deal. But with each successive round, it gets proportionately harder to put a round in. By the 7th round, it takes a herculean effort to put it in the mag.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 05, 2020, 10:36:23 AM »
Well. so far today I hand loaded and belted up 30,000 rounds,  *l_ and that was all before noon.  L@J For the rest of the day, I'll do something else.  (*3
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 05, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »
Well. so far today I hand loaded and belted up 30,000 rounds,  *l_ and that was all before noon.  L@J For the rest of the day, I'll do something else.  (*3

What did you do, go out and buy a Dillon?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 05, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
I didn't even realize it was a hammer gun Hawg. I did see the grip safety and lack of hinged trigger. Is it DA only? Or can you manually cock the hammer?

I'm glad the mags are easier to load. That is a royal pain with mine. The first one or two rounds are no big deal. But with each successive round, it gets proportionately harder to put a round in. By the 7th round, it takes a herculean effort to put it in the mag.

The hammer is internal. It is SAO. I might have balked a little bit if it was DA. The mag follower has ears like some .22's do so you can hold the follower down and just drop the cartridges in.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 05, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
So far, I took propane tanks to be filled, gassed the truck, and photographed water lilies. I'm currently cleaning the grill, after which I'll grill burgers for lunch.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 05, 2020, 11:13:25 AM »

What did you do, go out and buy a Dillon?

No, just using a Rock Chucker.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.