Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How do you earn a living?  (Read 61882 times)

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
Re: How do you earn a living?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
Been disabled since 2000, it sucks, but it's the hand I was dealt and as a full time "tinker", I do lot's of things that make very little money.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »
You all know what?............I do earn a living here, I'm a "HouseBoy"!  *6'

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
Hi, being retired, I just wait for my Social Security and Pension check to be posted to my checking account.  &\? &\? &\?

I think my main avocation today is shooting and posting to gun message boards.  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
Hi, being retired, I just wait for my Social Security and Pension check to be posted to my checking account.  &\? &\? &\?

I think my main avocation today is shooting and posting to gun message boards.  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
That's a good way to spend your time!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
Right out of high school I went to work with Brown & Root. Building powder plants. Took a fall in the early 80s an busted up my back to where I was in the hospitals for months, and then went on to the rehab centers for 22 months. No stranger to disability. I went back to work in 89 in a factory that built computers and all the stuff that went along with them. Stuck with that till they shut the doors in 2000 and sent our jobs to China. Working 10 and 12 hr shifts took a toll on my back. Back on disability again. Now I spend my time tiring to stay out of trouble. OH I'm nobodies "Houseboy" Sam.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
started out as an auto mechanic, then turned to hospital equip repairman, all the while earning a small pension in the air and army guard.          mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
Waiting on disability to be approved. Done a lot of things over the years. Started as an auto mechanic. Drove dump trucks, ran excavation equipment. Drove big rigs most of my life and worked in a factory for the last seven.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »
Saw that developed real estate bubble stretching at the seams.  Got out of that just in time back in ‘07/ very early ’08.  Easy money is great but sometimes things get too stupidly absurd to last.  Artificial economies, like ours, behave like that.  Now-a-days I just shuffle legal papers for a profit. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »
Last night was just night of the gremlins. Had a shovel go down, and the more I dug into it, the more I found wrong. Stuff like gated diodes leaking current, wire pairs reversed on terminals, plugs not attached to computers.

I was going "How the H-E-double toothpicks did that get like that, and how did the shovel run at all?!?"

Eight hours of putting things back to normal to get things running again.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
I was going "How the H-E-double toothpicks did that get like that, and how did the shovel run at all?!?"
From people working on it that don't follow the logic train. I've seen it more times than I want to remember..
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 03:49:15 AM »
Last night was just night of the gremlins. Had a shovel go down, and the more I dug into it, the more I found wrong. Stuff like gated diodes leaking current, wire pairs reversed on terminals, plugs not attached to computers.

Eight hours of putting things back to normal to get things running again.

I envy people that can work on computers.  I worked on steam ships and can handle tearing apart an engine or boiler but all those little wires and other things you mentioned.  Way past my ken.  I recently bought a new vehicle and I still haven't looked under the hood.  The last time I did, I was overwhelmed with all the crap they could fit into what was supposed to be an engine compartment.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »
I actually had to break out the o-scope on that one, and trace signals.

Offline FLD

• Retirement suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »
Machine operator for a west Michigan furniture company for 30 years. Before that I worked out of a toolbox after a college education in automotive technology.
Along the way, my wife and I owned a few aircraft, one of which was a 1949 Navion. My home airfield was frequented by 3 A&P/IA guys. All good guys to deal with, all old-school, and all were more than happy to sign off on supervised work that was performed correctly. Notice I said "supervised" and "correctly". I had to replace the prop bladder during an annual and when I finished the A&P told me how great it looked, safety-wired and everything. Then he told me to do it again with .040 safety wire instead of .032 wire.

Offline Major

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
The first 40 years as an Art Director, Production Designer or Prop master on Films or stage. ( Even have few SAG credits for Cameo's & Stunts )
I kept my Director's Guild  & Studio Mechanic's cards however...
Retirement age of sort found me restless and wanting , I figured I'd talk to Expo Contractor maybe get a gig or two a month ( few days here and there ) after about 3 weeks ,  that resulted in a FULL time management position ....and that was 8 years ago this July.
So , I'm approaching 50 years in the entertainment industry. 

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
Got my resume all updated. I'm applying for a new position in the same shop I currently work in, doing the exact same job, but at a higher pay grade and higher pay.

Basically, one of our electricians quit with no notice. He was one pay grade higher than me. I have to apply and interview to move into his slot, after which, if I am successful, they will hire a new electrician who is one pay grade lower than I am now to fill my current slot.

Clear?