Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Thin barrier wad for .36 C&B  (Read 6480 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Thin barrier wad for .36 C&B
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:04:07 AM »
Hi, I preload extra cylinders for future use. When I load .44 cylinders I use lubed wads with a thin oil barrier wad against the powder to prevent oil powder contamination. Finding the right sized oil barrier wad for the .36 C&B cylinders had been elusive. I had been left with using an overball lube to avoid powder contamination. Last week a good barrier wad was found at midway that fits well, see:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184120/walters-wads-38-55-caliber-386-diameter-0030-thickness-bag-of-1000

A number of .36 cylinders are now loaded up ready for shooting.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Thin barrier wad for .36 C&B
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »
Hi Richard,   Thanks for the link.   I have trouble finding wads locally sometimes, especially .36 cal.   I have paid up to $10 for a bag of 100 lubed wads that did not have any lube on them.  $20 for 1000 dry wads seems like a reasonable price to pay.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
 (7&  I use a barrier wad sometime in my revolvers and always in my 45-70. i just punch em out of either milk carton or pizza box. The milk carton has the advantage of having the water proof coating.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
I used to try to cut wads myself but with running two businesses, reloading cartridges, and all the family responsibilities,  if I do it all myself I'd never have any time to shoot.   That's the reason I don't cast bullets either.  As long as I can get quality products like wads, bullets, and round balls at decent prices I will buy them for now.   Maybe later in life when free time is more abundant I will do all I can myself. 

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:55 AM »
For an over powder wad, oh wait, I don't use one.  I have not found the need for a lube wad in a revolver. 

What purpose does it serve?

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:12 AM »
For an over powder wad, oh wait, I don't use one.  I have not found the need for a lube wad in a revolver. 

What purpose does it serve?

Kevin

Hi StrawHat, theory has that using either overball or overpowder lube helps prevent chainfires. There may also be a benefit to minimize fouling and barrel leading.

I have tested using no lube at all with C&B and never had a chainfire or excessive fouling, but I was trained to use a lube. I continue that practice. The lubed wad between ball and powder is much cleaner than overball lube. However, the unintended consequence is the contamination of powder by lube if the cylinder chambers are left loaded for an extended time. The barrier wad prevents migration of lube from the lubed wad into the powder.

I must agree that this may be a cure to a nonexistent problem. Closely held beliefs are a terrible thing to waste.  ;) ;) 

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:03:02 AM »
With cartridges and black powder, I would use a wad cut from shirt board.  Back when shirts were packed with a thin sheet of cardboard between the folds.  Currently using the cardboard from cereal cartons.  And before you ask, using the cardboard from a Wheaties box does NOT help you shoot better. It may be the breakfast of Champions but the box is the same as all others.  (Speaking of, is it true Bruce Jenner is going to be on the next redesign of the Fruit Loops box?)

Will the cardboard work for a C&B cylinder?  I guess it would depend on how "wet" the lube is.

I have been shooting the C&B stuff without lube since being shown how in the early 60s.  It still works for me.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »
Hi Richard,   Thanks for the link.   I have trouble finding wads locally sometimes, especially .36 cal.   I have paid up to $10 for a bag of 100 lubed wads that did not have any lube on them.  $20 for 1000 dry wads seems like a reasonable price to pay.

Hi Mike, you can buy lubed felt wads at a reasonable price from Sagebrush:

1000 wads:
http://www.sagebrushproducts.com/catalog/item/7354236/7655438.htm

100 wads:
http://www.sagebrushproducts.com/catalog/item/7354236/7655431.htm

I buy the wads by the thousand. IMO they are extremely high quality.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
Thanks Richard,  I use wads for some of my C&B revolvers and also in some cartridges.   I will order some of these from Sagebrush and try them out.

Offline Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 11:08:18 AM »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 11:08:33 PM »
Tempus Fugit and no lie, GI.

Buff’s is too pricey.  More better you get numbah one Durofelt that you punch out for self.  Hard vegetable card disks from Long Hunter ain’t bad neither.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
Plus 1 on Durofelt wool sheet. I got a roll-end piece a few years ago at a low price, and still using it. We get a lot of advertising in the mail that has a thin hard cardboard, and I save those for punching wads.