Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The search is on---------!  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
The search is on---------!
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:19:02 AM »
Now I'm ready for a "replica" of the Colt 1862 police 4 1/2" in or 5 1/2" .36 cal of course.
Been watching auctions.
Question: there is one on GunBroker , a Colt Gen 2 where those made by Uberti and assembled by Colt ?
It will wind up out of my budget range.
One of my Remington .44 5 1/2 might go to help pay for the 1862.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:32:00 AM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: The search is on---------!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:31 AM »

Question: there is one on GunBroker , a Colt Gen2 where those made by Uberti and assembled by Colt ?

More or less.  The F series 2nd Gens were made by Iver Johnson in Middlesex, New Jersey from rough castings and semi worked parts acquired from American and Italian subcontractors as well as through in-house fabrication. Colt's inspected, marketed, sold and warranted them.  F series Colt's will letter.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Re: The search is on---------
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:32:08 AM »
One is listed on Gunbroker seller claims to be near new ?
Marked with Navy Arms on top of barrel and made by Uberti.
Any idea as to how near to original Colt 1862 design was the one
sold by Navy Arms.
Note I asked this question on the wrong model listing and might have been misleading.
Hewy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »
The Uberti made 1862 Police models are faithful reproductions of the originals.   No matter what importer's name is on the revolver.   Navy Arms, Replica Arms, FIE, Cimmaron,  they are the same design that Uberti has been putting out for many years.   It is only the Pietta Police Model that is the large frame that is not a faithful copy of the 1862 Police made by Colt.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
Thanks Mike, nice to hear that!
Hewy

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
The Uberti made 1862 Police models are faithful reproductions of the originals.   No matter what importer's name is on the revolver.   Navy Arms, Replica Arms, FIE, Cimmaron,  they are the same design that Uberti has been putting out for many years.   It is only the Pietta Police Model that is the large frame that is not a faithful copy of the 1862 Police made by Colt.
Great information there Mike!

I never knew this.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
I'm echoing same comment a lot of guys say about the info on Colt Country and 1858 Remington forums.
"Outstanding".
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »
Hi, an advantage for the Pietta 1862 compared to the Uberti 1862 is that the Pietta 1862 can be used with the 1851 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder. There is no conversion cylinder available for the Uberti 1862.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »
Hi, I have one of those fantasy Pietta 1862 Police .36 revolvers that I keep displayed in the living room. Yesterday I picked it up to handle it and noticed something never noticed before on that revolver. The frame has the same stock mounting screws as 1860s. What's especially interesting is that the water table is straight like the 1851 and not cut like with the 1860. That Pietta 1862 frame is neither fish nor fowl.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 03:20:26 AM »
Hi, I have one of those fantasy Pietta 1862 Police .36 revolvers that I keep displayed in the living room. Yesterday I picked it up to handle it and noticed something never noticed before on that revolver. The frame has the same stock mounting screws as 1860s. What's especially interesting is that the water table is straight like the 1851 and not cut like with the 1860. That Pietta 1862 frame is neither fish nor fowl.

Regards,
Richard

For whatever reason, Pietta copied the 1861 Colt and used a short barrel on it to "create" their version of the 1862.  The 1861 was available with a shoulder stock so those screws are not out of place on an 1861.  Neither is the straight water table, it is after all, a 36 caliber.  The only thing out of place is the name.  It is a good copy of a short barreled 1861, but it is not an 1862.

I am still thinking about getting one or two of the because of the shorter barrel.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 04:46:42 AM »
Hi Kevin, thanks for the explanation. I guess Pietta's version of the 1862 Police isn't so weird if thought of as an 1861. Wonder why Pietta did that?

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 05:44:48 AM »
Hi Kevin, thanks for the explanation. I guess Pietta's version of the 1862 Police isn't so weird if thought of as an 1861. Wonder why Pietta did that?

Regards,
Richard

Best guess is they were mmaking guns using the 1851 frame but nothing using the smaller 31 caliber frame.  Uberti is having good success with the line of Pocket revolvers so Pietta, built the version and named it to lure the unknowing to the sale.  They might get me yet!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
I've been looking for a police model for years. Haven't found one locally.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
Hi Electric, what's nice about the Pietta 1862 (1861) is that you can use both 1851 C&B and 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinders in it. It's a handy little revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »
If I found one, I might be interested.