Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Might need to start casting my own  (Read 7516 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Might need to start casting my own
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
As of Friday a week ago there is no longer any Black Powder/ Muzzle loading specialty store anywhere in Colorado.   My favorite gun store (only 5 miles from my front door)  caught fire and burned into oblivion.   This means all the supplies I need are no longer available locally.   The shop was a total loss including the owners personal collection of BP firearms and a couple cannons.   Now I may be forced to cast my own soft lead bullets and round balls.  I could buy RBs at Cabelas but for reloading 44-40, 45LC, 45-70, and 38 S&W black powder loads there is no where local to buy.    Jim at the now burnt up BP store provided me with all I needed in soft cast pre-lubed bullets and hard cast pre-lubed bullets for reloading.   In addition I bought all my black powder there.   

I'm not excited about casting bullets.  I have avoided it on purpose,  I have enough going on without having to perform another process in order to shoot the way I prefer.   
I have been mulling this over for a few days and although started out feeling sorry for my self it didn't take long to realize that I lost a good place to shop but my friend had lost his livelihood and a lot of his most prized and valuable possessions. 
Due to the anti-gun sentiment and political climate here Jim had been unable to afford insurance.   He is now liable not only for his establishment but for the damage to the two adjoining businesses.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Might need to start casting my own
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »
That stinks, Mike.
There are several over on the Remmy forum who sell pre-cast BP bullets and balls, or you can 'bite the bullet' and get them through TOW or others who sell pre-cast bullets. Although, once you get set up it's amazing how many round balls you can cast in an hour.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
Hate the mail order deal.  I could pay for the equipment pretty quickly just by saving the shipping charges.  It's not terribly expensive  and once you are set up the hard part is done.   I didn't want to load my own cartridges either but now I sort of enjoy it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »
It also makes you more self-sufficient.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
You're right Capt.  and that is always a good thing.   At this point though I'd rather be spending the time with m 6 grandkids (5 right now and one due in a week or so).

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:39:19 AM »
Mike,

A six cavity mold will drop a lot of bullets in a short amount of time.  I do not have one for round ball but cast a lot of conicals for what I need.  I prefer a bottom pour pot, but a ladle pot is cheaper.  For round ball, you do not need sizing dies etc so you are only needing a pot, a mold and a supply of lead.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=8ea1b8fc-d133-4c8d-83d9-20b3e2959d21

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/electric-melters-or-furnaces/

There are other companies that make similar items so these are not your only choices.

Six grandkids!  One of them might really enjoy learning from GrandPa how to reload.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »
Hi Mike, sorry to hear about the building burning down.

I used to think that casting balls and bullets were going to be hard but, after casting a few it was fairly easy to do.  L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
You're right Capt.  and that is always a good thing.   At this point though I'd rather be spending the time with m 6 grandkids (5 right now and one due in a week or so).

I understand THAT! My wife and I are practically raising our 4-year old granddaughter as mom & dad are full-time workers and very busy. But every minute spent is a treasure.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »
Well, I guess I'll have to get started then.   I appreciate the advice guys.   I have looked all this before but not with the resolve I now have.    I have been spoiled with quality products at reasonable prices at my fingertips.  I'll just have to adjust.

I made it sound like I am an old codger sittin on the porch telling stories to a herd of grandbabies.   In reality I haven't had my 55th birthday yet.   We are a family of athletes and spend our free time at football, baseball, soccer and wrestling events.   No sittin on the porch for us yet.
I was coaching high school football and wrestling until just a couple years ago.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:31:01 AM »
Hi Mike, I use Laser cast bullets for cartridges, see:

http://oregontrailbullet.com/shop/

the laser cast are the hardest bullets available, they never cause leading.

However, I cast my own soft lead balls and conicals.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
Thanks Richard,   I have seen Laser Cast bullets on the shelf at Cabelas.   I'll check them out to see what might work for me.   I have always used soft lead bullets with SPG lube for my BP cartridges in my lever guns.   The owner of the burned out store would size and lube the for me free.   

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 04:06:18 AM »
I do not use hard lead for anything except when I alloy it softer.  Leading has more to do with the size of the bullet than the composition.  I routinely shoot pure lead wadcutters and get no leading.  Same with the 45 long Colt, 260 grain soft lead bullets at 900 fps, no leading.  Rifles take a bit more effort but well worth it.

There are several forums devoted to the practice of shooting lead.  Avoid them!  They will cost you money by offering you deals on bullet molds, melters and etc.  Without them, I would have been a millionaire years ago. 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 05:24:34 AM »
So far soft lead is all I have been using for all my shooting.    I do load some 25.06 rounds with copper jacketed HP bullets that my son uses on coyotes.   I know what works for me now and prefer not to change.  I enjoy shooting once everything is worked out.  The process of getting to that point is less enjoyable for me.   The owner of the store where I used to buy hand cast bullets is going to give me a list of the molds he was using.  Hopefully I can go from there and come close to duplicating what I was buying from him.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
Really appreciate the help everyone.   Only thing left now is the money spending part.    At the rate I've been using up lead this year, one good casting session should keep me going for another year.   50 bullets in each caliber should do it.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
Mike, was the store that burned The Blunderbuss in north Denver? If not, you might want to check him out?       Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ