Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ready for casting  (Read 13474 times)

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Ready for casting
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
I agree with having a reserve.  Not sure how much I want to keep on hand yet but I am already working on getting more.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »
Hi Mike, I got my 10lb of pure lead today. The box was intact and not abused at all. I probably live closer to the supplier than you, maybe that's why my package looks better than yours. The lead is dead soft and will work well for BP ball casting.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »
Good for you Richard.  I got no explanation for why the second package was delayed for a week but since I got it OK I'm satisfied now.  The lead from the guy was good quality just like he advertised.   He didn't ever seem too concerned about what happened to the first package.  Probably because he is going to file a claim and will come out ahead on the deal.
I cast 100 .380 rb yesterday.  All worked well.   

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
I agree with having a reserve.  Not sure how much I want to keep on hand yet but I am already working on getting more.

I lucked out and someone came through for me this weekend.   This 36 pound box of new pure lead wheel weights was dropped off at my house along with two boxes  full of mixed wheel weights.   

I estimate that after sorting the mixed weights will yield about 40 pounds of soft lead, so I will end up with about 70-75 pounds of soft lead.  Now I will have to figure out how to repay the favor. 
I'm going to go buy an ingot mold and maybe a cast iron pot to melt the weights down in and pour them into ingots for storage and convenience.   
I found some good info on the Cast Boolits forum about sorting the wheel weights. 

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »
Great news!  Good things come to those who wait. Will you use the regular wheel weights for casting bullets? They would be too hard IMHO for round balls except for shooting in a smooth bore.

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
Mazo,  I'm going to sort them out and see what I have after sorting.   There is not a lot of regular wheel weights in the mixed boxes.  Mostly very soft tape on weights.   It doesn't look like there will be a lot of the harder clip on weights but there is more than a few steel clip on weights mixed in.   I may try mixing some of the harder weights with soft lead for bullets in my cartridges but I have had really good luck so far with soft lead for all my BP guns.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
I use the clip on weights as are for cartridges. Nice score. :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
Like Hawg, I have used standard wheel weights as is for cartridge projectiles. I also sometimes mix those wheel weights with soft lead in equal amounts. This supposed to be equivalent to the old Lyman #2 alloy.

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »
I'm already melting all the soft lead down and pouring them into ingots.   I had a Cabela's gift card left over from last Christmas so I bought a Lyman ingot mould yesterday.  After I'm done with the soft lead I will see how many clip on and other harder lead weights are left.  I may make smaller half pound ingots from the harder stuff to mix with the soft lead for rifle bullets.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »
I need to get out there and melt some lead!  (l"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 03:18:08 AM »
Wheel weights?  Haven't used them in a long time for a couple of reasons.  First, the alloy is not consistent, they use whatever is available to make the weight.  I like to be able to repeat the recipe each time I cast.  Second, even when I first got into casting, back in the last century, wheel weights were not common enough to count on a supply.  AS cheap as I am, I buy lead and tin from a smelter.  This, for me, is the better way to ensure I can pour a 20/1 alloy or a 16/1 alloy or whatever I want to pour for that bullet. 

Other folks have different ideas and that is a good thing.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com