Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: AR500 Steel Ranges  (Read 4833 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
AR500 Steel Ranges
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
Hi, for my steel target range I have purchased AR500 steel gongs and plates from Shoot Steel, see:
http://www.shootsteel.com/

My outdoor ranges:

In the woods range

From the deck range

I shoot my .22 and 32 S&W conversion cylinders in my basement, maximum range 50ft. This lets me shoot in my basement during the winter. I have a steel bullet trap that works well for the .22s and 32 S&W, but am becoming a bit concerned about missing the trap and hitting the concrete block wall. Concrete block doesn't hold up well to bullet impacts so I ordered an 1/4" AR500 steel plate from eBay to put behind the trap, see:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191388390868?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: AR500 Steel Ranges
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
Richard, nice set up there.  L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:03:27 AM »
Hi, if you scroll down some on the eBay link I gave
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191388390868?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

you will see they also sell AR500 gongs for a lot less than other suppliers. Their feedback is 100% and they can probably be believed.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
Nice range. I don't have a basement, though, and the neighbors would be upset with me shooting through their backyards to get the distance.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Nice, Richard. Seeing a setup like that makes me lament buying a home in town.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:38:08 AM »
Hi Captain, I bet if you would ask your neighbor nicely, they would let you put a gong up against their house?  &\? &\? &\?

In addition to shooting, one of my other lifelong hobbies is astronomy. Many years ago an astronomy buddy told me "if it isn't convenient to use, it won't be used". I have since found that advice very useful in making choices. One of the best choices we ever made was to live in the country where one's free to do most anything we would like.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
Hi, I received my 18x18x1/4" AR500 steel backstop yesterday and painted it white. The .22 bullet trap is good for catching .22s and .32 S&W conversion cylinder smokeless rounds. The photo shows the bullet trap and new backstop. I always keep the rounds in the bullet trap, but last Sunday I had my son-in-law down shooting the .22 1858 revolver. If you look closely at the decal on the bullet trap you can see a .22 hit outside the trap. He was embarrassed to no end. That little extra protection from the backstop will some day save a concrete bullet impact, I'm sure.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »
Hi Captain, I bet if you would ask your neighbor nicely, they would let you put a gong up against their house?  &\? &\? &\?

In addition to shooting, one of my other lifelong hobbies is astronomy. Many years ago an astronomy buddy told me "if it isn't convenient to use, it won't be used". I have since found that advice very useful in making choices. One of the best choices we ever made was to live in the country where one's free to do most anything we would like.

Regards,
Richard
Not likely. I get dirty looks whenever I drag my bow out in the back yard.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
Nice set-ups there! I don't shoot enough in my yard. My wife doesn't shoot although she supports me in that respect. So, I get out "sometimes" by myself, but always welcome friends who want to come here to shoot.