Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Square Trigger Guard  (Read 23464 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Square Trigger Guard
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
Jim;
You're in. I approved you myself. I would love to see more activity on the forum, so by all means....post away!
I searched for your post #35 but don't think it was what you wanted. I suspect it was a victim of either the Great Black Powder Smoke crash of 2011 or auto pruning.

Here is the text from post #35:

"Terry, I need a NIB F series 1851 Navy - for the right price.  The boxed one I have has the slightest turn ring on it & I need one at 100% instead of 99.5%"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
Geez, Jim...no need to apologize! That article (Accidental S&G) is what prompted my search for and purchase of just the right "Navy brasser" (as it was advertised as) to do just that (pictured below)....

I love this forum..... (7&

Captain,

My first cap and ball revolver back in in 1969 was an "1851 Navy" brass framed model with no scroll engraving on the cylinder like yours pictured above. I cannot for the life of me recall the manufacturer but do remember the XXIII (1967) date code. I didn't realize at the time that I had an accidental Schneider & Glassick!
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »
Yup. That's what you had!
Mine is an ASM.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
I like those grips.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »
I did not, at first. Then they grew on me.
They feel SO much better than the Pietta 'bell bottom' grip.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
Yeah, they do. I wish Pietta would start making the navies like they do the G&G but AFAIK they still have the tail on the navies.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
A dissenting opinion:  I like rounded trigger guards on 51’s and Third Models.  Square backs are cool but the rounded has better ergonomics for my hand and mo-better Feng shui and esthetics … or something.  Square back trigger guards whack my ‘bird digit’ but with rounded I don’t need to do the ‘pinky curl’ to avoid that. 

Good material here, thanks for those good links boys.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:27 PM »
My infatuation with squareback trigger guards came way back with the Ruger Super Blackhawk 3-screw. I used to handload some very heavy loads (H110) and never had a problem with this configuration, insofar as banging any other fingers.

To each his/her own,

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I am supposed to get my Pieta G&G from Cabela's o/a Jan 6. It was shipped from Sidney and it is in Colorado now.

Antsy.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:35:44 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
My infatuation with squareback trigger guards came way back with the Ruger Super Blackhawk 3-screw. I used to handload some very heavy loads (H110) and never had a problem with this configuration, insofar as banging any other fingers.

Got you one of these yet?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2015, 12:43:42 PM »
I like round guards too. I had a SS SBH many moons ago and didn't care for the square guard.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
Got you one of these yet?

Sadly, no. I perceive that to be a 2nd Model Dragoon; if so, it is on my "must have list", much more so than a Walker, but... then... geez...

Being on SS and no overtime "mad money" forthcoming, I need to space purchases out. Maybe Christmas 2016 if I am still vertical by then. I still have to obtain the Jordan/Watt treatise on the 1848/1849 Pocket, but that is still half the cost of an "on sale" 2nd Dragoon. I still have to concentrate on my 1851 variants before anything else.

Being on this very friendly forum (and other forums) and seeing the pics, reading the good info (as variable as it is), and having those posts fuel my pipe dreams sometimes makes me drool at times (more often than not).

Captain, thanks for approving my registration on the Collector forum. Don't know how much I can add but I will try if I deem info to be of some interest. I don't want to see it go away. Thanks be to you and Smokey.

Jim

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Jim;
You're in. I approved you myself. I would love to see more activity on the forum, so by all means....post away!
I searched for your post #35 but don't think it was what you wanted. I suspect it was a victim of either the Great Black Powder Smoke crash of 2011 or auto pruning.

Here is the text from post #35:

"Terry, I need a NIB F series 1851 Navy - for the right price.  The boxed one I have has the slightest turn ring on it & I need one at 100% instead of 99.5%"

I'm logged in!

I know I previously mentioned a thread on the Black Powder Revolver Collecting Forum (2011) by Dr. Jim L. Davis on Colt Pocket Replica .31 Caliber Revolvers. I found a different one from 2011, and Strawhat, Fingers, and others partake of the discussion. Interesting read.

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php?topic=34.0

The one I have printed out has the same URL except for the topic # 35.0, about 6 hours later (according to the time stamp) and of course has a bit different content on the same subject, but I cannot find it to post a link.

And I just downloaded that 35.0 post only a few months ago, so I don't think it vanished, but it may be in the vapor, somewhere.

I did not mean "post #35". I meant the URL topic number, as I have in bold above. It may well be that it was lost in the meltdown. This is just to clarify.

Does that make sense?

Jim
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:50:46 PM by sourdough »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
Reenter the topic 34 URL and change the 34 to 35.  That should get you what you are looking for

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php?topic=35.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:14:11 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
Ahh, yes...THAT thread! My Baby Dragoon is in there somewhere! L@J

Offline sourdough

• View Profile