Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Square Trigger Guard  (Read 23458 times)

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
Square Trigger Guard
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »
Back when I was first looking at BP revolvers I was drawn to the Walker and Dragoon, and with the various Dragoon models as I was drawn to the square trigger guard (I have smaller hands and doubt I'd have problems rapping my knuckles as some do).

So I go to wonder about the Baby Dragoon, and thought it also had a squared trigger guard (I checked Cimmaron and Taylors but couldn't find a squared guard) and figured it would swap on a Police. Should fit, right (no modifying)?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Square Trigger Guard
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
I believe that Colt made some of the pocket models in 31 cal that had square backs on them.  I don't know if Uberti made any repros that way.  I know at least three guys here that can answer that question.  One of them will fill us in soon.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »
Cimmaron's parts like shows a rounded whereas Taylor's shows a squared but states it's rounded. I'm thinking its a Baby Dragoon model but could very well be mistaken as I'm not too familiar with them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
Colt made more pocket models than any other revolver design they produced.  There were many variations over the years,  too many for me to remember.

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »
Though I understand how different things were back then, that just being shot could be deadly a week or three later could keep people from misbehaving, I also have to wonder if it was partly due the to alternatives they had then. Initially it was a huge and heavy Dragoon, and later a long .36 that required a holster. And then there was the cost.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »
I'm sure size and cost were big factors in the popularity of the pocket models.   Plus being out and about completely unarmed put you in the minority out here in the West.   A gun you could carry in a coat pocket had to be an attractive piece.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 04:04:55 AM »
The 31s were available with round or squared guards originally and in reproductions.  Originals are also found with 5 or 6 shot cylinders, reproductions are only found with 6 chambers.  The Pocket Models were originally produced with round guards only and Uberti has chosen to continue that tradition.  If you can locate a squared Uberti Pocket guard, it should fit with a bit of tinkering.

Some of my Pocket Revolvers.  The revolvers at 6,9 and 12 o'clock are belt models.

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:26:28 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 05:40:33 AM »
The 31s were available with round or squared guards originally and in reproductions.  Originals are also found with 5 or 6 shot cylinders, reproductions are only found with 6 chambers.  The Pocket Models were originally produced with round guards only and Uberti has chosen to continue that tradition.  If you can locate a squared Uberti Pocket guard, it should fit with a bit of tinkering.

Some of my Pocket Revolvers.  The revolvers at 6,9 and 12 o'clock are belt models.

Kevin

Uberti's are all five shot. Pietta's are all six shot and are actually nothing more than a short barreled 51. The Uberti uses the 49 frame with a rebated cylinder as per originals.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:11:45 AM »
Hi StrawHat, I like that white grip pistol!  L@.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »
The 31s were available with round or squared guards originally and in reproductions.  Originals are also found with 5 or 6 shot cylinders, reproductions are only found with 6 chambers. 
Kevin

Reproduction pocket models only come with 5 shot cylinders (Pietta/Traditions 1862 police is not a pocket model.  It uses the 1851/1861 frame

I believe that Colt made some of the pocket models in 31 cal that had square backs on them.  I don't know if Uberti made any repros that way.  I know at least three guys here that can answer that question.  One of them will fill us in soon.
)

2nd Gen Colt Baby Dragoons all had square back trigger guards and no loading lever.  Signature series '48 baby dragoons had square back trigger guard and no loading lever- same as the 2nd Gens.  They also made the '49 Pocket Models that had loading levers and a round trigger guard.

ASM and Uberti made pocket models with square back and round trigger guards.

Your best bet for finding a pocket model with square back trigger guard is one of the auction sites.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
I'm a bit leery of buying used BP guns as I don't know if they've been abused or neglected.

A rounded trigger guard isn't a dealbreaker but I'd gladly fork over a bit of cash for a prettier trigger guard. I'd be buying the shorty 3.5" barrel so a little extra in the box wouldn't be an issue.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 04:21:54 AM »
...Uberti's are all five shot. Pietta's are all six shot and are actually nothing more than a short barreled 51. The Uberti uses the 49 frame with a rebated cylinder as per originals...

I was not aware that Uberti made a 5 shot 31.  All of the 31s I have seen, Uberti or ASM, are 6 shot.  Please, post a photo.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:31 AM »
The 31s were available with round or squared guards originally and in reproductions.  Originals are also found with 5 or 6 shot cylinders, reproductions are only found with 6 chambers. 
Kevin

Reproduction pocket models only come with 5 shot cylinders (Pietta/Traditions 1862 police is not a pocket model.  It uses the 1851/1861 frame

)

2nd Gen Colt Baby Dragoons all had square back trigger guards and no loading lever.  Signature series '48 baby dragoons had square back trigger guard and no loading lever- same as the 2nd Gens.  They also made the '49 Pocket Models that had loading levers and a round trigger guard.

ASM and Uberti made pocket models with square back and round trigger guards.

Your best bet for finding a pocket model with square back trigger guard is one of the auction sites.

Perhaps we are confusing the issue with nomenclature.  I mentioned the reproduction 31s were all 6 shot.  It seems many of the members are aware of 5 shot 31s.  I am fully aware of the Uberti Pocket Models being 5 shot revolvers but they are chambered for the 38 caliber ball not a 31. 

The Pietta is still a decent copy of the 1861 with a custom length barrel.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
Hi StrawHat, I like that white grip pistol!  L@.

They are what I like to call "American Ivory" aka elk stag grips with the bark removed.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 12:14:34 PM »
...Uberti's are all five shot. Pietta's are all six shot and are actually nothing more than a short barreled 51. The Uberti uses the 49 frame with a rebated cylinder as per originals...

I was not aware that Uberti made a 5 shot 31.  All of the 31s I have seen, Uberti or ASM, are 6 shot.  Please, post a photo.

Kevin

ASM 1848 Pocket .31 5-shot 5-3/4" Barrel w/Load Lever Date Code XIX/1963 Serial Number 228.

Imported By Replica Arms El Paso Texas.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:32:26 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo