Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Nipple wrench  (Read 7224 times)

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
Nipple wrench
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »
I need a nipple wrench for my Armys,Navys,and Walker and Dragoon. Who makes the best. Lost mine.I had it for over 40 years. You know I will find it as soon as I get the new ones. The Walker takes a different size,right. Thanks!!
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Nipple wrench
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »
Hi Eric, I ordered a Walker nipple wrench from The Possible shop:
http://possibleshop.com/
It's still in shipment, but I suspect it will work well. If not, I will advise.

For smaller nipples I use the Ted Cash nipple wrench:
http://www.tdcmfgstore.com/agora.cgi?cart_id=30759084.31013&p_id=E-RATCHET&xm=on&ppinc=search2
You can also just buy the nipple head to use with other hand tools.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
I just bought one new for $10.99 and it fits all my guns...Remmys, Colts and Walker.  )lI

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
Why did you quit making them Sam?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
I didn't stop making them...I have like 40 to 50 deep sockets here that I was going to slot them and sell them. With the weather being too cold, I just haven't been out in my shop.

And with this cold/flu still with me is not helping.  :-[

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:35:20 PM »
Here Sam, take some cold medicine.  :)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:52:51 AM by Pustic »
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »
Thanks Pustic!  ;)

I'm trying to down some Ten High with Coke here... *6'

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
I didn't stop making them...I have like 40 to 50 deep sockets here that I was going to slot them and sell them. With the weather being too cold, I just haven't been out in my shop.

And with this cold/flu still with me is not helping.  :-[

Did you ever get around to making these nipple wrenches up? I am in need of a very strong wrench. If you do not plan to make them up will you share with me how to make one as I have a gun I pick up with very tight nipples.

Terry
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:26 AM »
Hi Terry, other than machining a socket, this is the strongest nipple wrench available:

http://www.tdcmfgstore.com/agora.cgi?cart_id=30759084.31013&p_id=E-RATCHET&xm=on&ppinc=search2

Just buy the insert that can be used with a standard bit handle.

If you have frozen nipples, I suggest you try this product first before breaking off a nipple:

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kroil&qid=1574770672&sr=8-2

Put a little Kroil on each nipple and let it stand for 24hrs before removing the nipples. Kroil can work magic.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »
I ruined 3 different nipple wrenches trying to remove the battered nipples from an original '58 Remington. I had soaked them for some time in various penetrating solutions too. I finally made a nipple wrench from a deep-well socket, made it so it fit TIGHT, as in having to tap it onto the nipple. Then I put it into my 1/4" electric impact driver. That did the trick, backed them all out with no problem. I replaced the nipples with modern made replacements from Lodgewood, along with a bit of anti-seize on the threads. Lodgewood also has a replacement cylinder for the original Remington at a very reasonable price.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:24:01 AM by mazo kid »

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »
Hi Terry, other than machining a socket, this is the strongest nipple wrench available:

Just buy the insert that can be used with a standard bit handle.

If you have frozen nipples, I suggest you try this product first before breaking off a nipple:

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kroil&qid=1574770672&sr=8-2

Put a little Kroil on each nipple and let it stand for 24hrs before removing the nipples. Kroil can work magic.

Regards,
Richard

Richard,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am a long time fan of Kroil!! Soaked them for 4 days and still will not break free. Presently have the cylinder in a jar filled with kerosene. Will see about ordering the tool. It would be good to have anyway as I have numerous reproduction ones and they are all flimsy.

Terry

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
Sometimes heating up the cylinder around the nipple with a propane torch will do the trick. I usually alternate between penetrating oil and heat.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »
I ended up ordering the commercially made version for rifle and revolver. After soaking the cylinder in Kroil for a week and then kerosene for a couple more, when the fitting arrived, I put it on a impact driver and they spun off like nothing. Ordering new cones and all should be good to go.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »
Kroil is good stuff. Glad it worked out for you, Terry!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 02:45:12 AM »
Kerosene by itself will work but it takes longer. You can put kerosene in a metal bucket and it will eventually leech through the seam but once it does that bucket will never hold gas. I dug up a 92 Winchester that had been buried so long the wood had rotted off and it was badly pitted. A three month soak in kero freed it up.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.