Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Qs About New Pietta Dance Revolver  (Read 5908 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Qs About New Pietta Dance Revolver
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
I am addressing anyone who owns or has seen a new version (2015 or later) of this model, compared to Piettas that were sold a while back with a SB trigger guard.

DGW is selling a .44 version with a smooth (non-rebated) cylinder and a non-cut water table and a round TG.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...5dhnnukoue2jl2

Does it have an 1851 Navy frame, or is it larger (as on the Dragoon size, like a Tucker and Sherrard)?

Does it have the Pietta "tail" or is it more like the newer, more "traditional" grip shape as found on the (2015 CN) G&G?

Here is a 2008 DGW customer review:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...5dhnnukoue2jl2

I realize that the Pietta Dance has no recoil shields, but it appears to be built on an 1851 frame (dimensionally). I cannot imagine Pietta to retool for a different size frame for the Dance if all Pietta had to do is mill off the recoil shields of an 1851 Navy to create this replica. Is that correct in my thinking? As I stated before, the other thing that comes to mind is the non-rebated cylinder. I am wondering about dimensions.

I am curious if a Pietta 1851 Navy (or G&G) .36 barrel, cylinder, and wedge will fit the Pietta Dance frame.

Can anyone verify this (or not)?

Recently, IIRC on one or another forum, a gentleman had a Pietta Dance .44 that would accept the aforementioned .36 parts, but I cannot recall where I saw that.

I would guess that you all know where I am going with that.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
Re: Qs About New Pietta Dance Revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:31:23 PM »
Hi Jim.  I'm the one that posted a picture of a .36 cal. Dance.  I created it by exchanging the .44 cal. cylinder and barrel with a cylinder and barrel from my G & G.  The frames are the same.  The cylinder and water table are not rebated, same as the original. 

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:57:54 AM »
Hi Jim.  I'm the one that posted a picture of a .36 cal. Dance.  I created it by exchanging the .44 cal. cylinder and barrel with a cylinder and barrel from my G & G.  The frames are the same.  The cylinder and water table are not rebated, same as the original.

Thank You, SIR!

Best news all day!

Jim

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »

As an afterthought, can you confirm whether or not the Dance .44 cylinder/barrel will fit a Pietta 1851 Navy steel frame?

Here is an observation from a gentleman on another forum:

I compared the Pietta Dance and G&G. The barrels will swap even though the 44 barrel is larger. The wedge is the same. The Dance cylinder is larger diameter but the cylinders are the same length so the 36 cylinder will go on the Dance frame and does cycle however there is a much larger gap between it and the frame so I'm not sure the bolt is engaging the cylinder notches fully.

So yes the parts do swap but it doesn't really look right because the Dance frame is machined for the larger diameter cylinder.

Any comments, sir? I value any info from all of you folks. I just want to have my ducks in a row before I spend money on the Pietta Dance .44.

Just for old times sake can you post a pic of your Dance .36 again? I would love to see the clearances.

Again, thanks a bunch for your time and expertise.

Jim

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:17:10 PM by sourdough »

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »
Jim:  Here is a picture of my Dance revolver (top) with the .36 cal. cylinder/barrel installed from my Griswold & Gunnison.  On the bottom is one of my 1851 Navies with the Dance .44 cal. cylinder/barrel installed.  They both fit ok and there is enough clearance.  They do not, however, cycle correctly.  I think the hands would have to be swapped to make them run right.  Hope this helps.

RC

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
RC,

Thanks, once again, for the pictures and the info about the fit and the timing. I think you may very well be correct about the hands. I would be curious about the bolt engagement in the stop slots with the swaps, but those are minor issues to me since I had to correct the timing on my Pietta 1851 Navy right out of the box.

I think I will start saving for the Dance, and on my SS income it will take until around Christmas.   ^j)

Jim

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
Jim

Finally acquired a digital caliper, and was able to measure the diameter of the Dance and G & G cylinders.
The Dance is 1.5915" and the G & G is 1.5315".  Hope this is helpful.

RC

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 04:36:39 PM »
I am so glad that you are pursuing this area for my sake. Those dimensions are very different, and I cannot see doing a Dance .36 without a lot of work.

You need not do any more.

I thank you for all of your info, sir!

Jim