Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Let's talk Navy  (Read 58989 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Let's talk Navy
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
Thinking about another Navy, don't want to break the bank on it though. Are the latest Piettas good quality or do I need to either save up for a Uberti or look for and older nice one (e.g. Navy Arms)
I want it to be .36 cal, not the Pietta .44.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk Navy
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
Hi Kirk, I purchased three .36 Pietta 1851s in the last year or two. They come right out of the box perfect shooters. Having said that, I recently ordered a new Uberti .36 !851 Navy on sale from Dixie that should be here Wednesday. The Uberti cost a little more and you will need to do the arbor adjustment to have it correct. Both seem to have a grip tail. Pietta parts are lower cost and more available than the Uberti. Pietta specs #10 caps, Uberti's #11, but I have used #10 Remington caps on both with good results. IMO either the Pietta or Uberti would be a good shooting 1851 revolver.

There is no more accurate shooter than the .36 1851 Navy.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:20:03 PM »
Richard, I have one...a 1979 C.O.M. imported by Excam. While I've done a truckload of work to the action and brass already, there are still things about it that irk me; mediocre wood-to-metal fitment, rough finished steel under the bluing, no crowning on the muzzle, and a bolt that drags and leaves "ring around the collar" marks. I'm debating on tearing this one down and going for the throat or starting fresh; #2 sounds like a better option so that's the way my thoughts are leaning. If so, I would want to start with the best Navy I could. I will wait to hear your report on the Uberti for comparison....

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

I got my original .36 Navy over 20 years ago from a shop here in Vegas.  It has proven to be an excellent shooter with both round ball and conical bullet.  I couldn't tell you who made it other than it says "Made in Italy".  I have always favored the grip that it has as being a natural pointer and quite comfortable.  Fast forward to a couple years ago when I picked up a basket case Navy model in .44 caliber.  All the parts were in the box in various states of finish from case hardened and new looking or blued and serviceable to sanded down and in need of a new finish. No brand name on it other than "Made in Italy".  I wound up polishing the stripped parts and doing a hot water blue job then put it back together with a little fitting and fiddling here and there to make it functional again.  The wooden grip got the same Truoil finish that I applied to my .36, but as you can see, the two grips similarity pretty much ends at that point.  The .36 is on top.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
Insofar as Pietta Navies are concerned, you are not going to break the bank (unless you are as SS dependent as I am).

I purchased 2 Piettas within the past 15 months: an 1851 Navy steel .36 ([CM] 2014) to which I substituted a Pietta squareback TG (from Taylor's) to make it an 1851 Navy 2nd Model, and also a Pietta G&G .36 ([CN] 2015) brasser, both from Cabela's @ $200 and $220, respectively.

My goal was to create 5 somewhat historically correct replica pistols (1851 Navy 2nd Model, 1851 Navy 3rd Model, G&G, L&R, and S&G) using the two purchased pistols.

Between the two, and the spare TG, one can create about 9 more "fantasy" variations if one chooses to do so.

My favorite "fantasy" pistol is the 1851 steel with the G&G plain cylinder and barrel and the squareback TG. To me, this should have been Sam Colt's "midi" .36 Dragoon, rather than the full octagon barrel.

My next addition to the bunch (if feasible) is the Pietta Dance .44, only if the cylinder/barrel assembly is fully interchangeable with the standard Navy frame. I have a few feelers out, but it is not looking all that good.

The fantasy possibilities are immense if this works, but I'm not holding my breath.

To finally answer your concerns about Pietta quality, I would give it a firm heads up. Goon says (and I agree) that the arbor-to-barrel lug fit is better than Uberti. I don't own a Uberti, but my two Piettas are solid, with less than .002" cylinder-to-barrel gap from the factory. I had to do a bit of wedge fitting on both because I like to see the tip of the wedge spring protrude a bit on the right side of the barrel lug.

My 1851 Navy has the proverbial Pietta "tail", but the G&G does not. Go figure: has Pietta listened to criticisms about the "tail", or is this an anomaly?

Anyhoo, I wish you the best in your new endeavor/experiment: let us know what it is.

Nothing worse than letting us all hang in the breeze!  ;)

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
Latest Pietta Navy I bought was about a year ago.  It has the tail.  Zero complaints about the rest of it tho.  Did replace the factory nipples also.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:45:23 PM »
My navy was made in 2011 and has the tail altho I think the 2015's either don't have it or have a reduced one. Mine has been no problem and timing is spot on but the grips are fat and proud at the top ala Pietta. Shoots pretty good too.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

I got my original .36 Navy over 20 years ago from a shop here in Vegas.  It has proven to be an excellent shooter with both round ball and conical bullet.  I couldn't tell you who made it other than it says "Made in Italy".  I have always favored the grip that it has as being a natural pointer and quite comfortable.  Fast forward to a couple years ago when I picked up a basket case Navy model in .44 caliber.  All the parts were in the box in various states of finish from case hardened and new looking or blued and serviceable to sanded down and in need of a new finish. No brand name on it other than "Made in Italy".  I wound up polishing the stripped parts and doing a hot water blue job then put it back together with a little fitting and fiddling here and there to make it functional again.  The wooden grip got the same Truoil finish that I applied to my .36, but as you can see, the two grips similarity pretty much ends at that point.  The .36 is on top.

Jay, that lower one sure looks Pietta to me, being both a .44 and having the Pietta Tail.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »

Jay, that lower one sure looks Pietta to me, being both a .44 and having the Pietta Tail.

Definitely a Pietta.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 05:03:30 PM »
I am finding this one somewhat intriguing....

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=14047

The tail would have to go, but it's a squareback TG model.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:05:43 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
Ooh, that's purty!  Price is nice as well.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 06:44:26 PM »
Yea, that looks really nice, love the square-back trigger guard. 

I'm sure some of you guys have done it (I have not) but I have read about and seen videos of the tail being modified.  With as many fittings and adjustments as we tend to do with these guns, maybe modifying the tail would get you where you want to go?  Even tho it would be a little more time consuming.

Anybody done the tail mod?

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
On the 1858 Remington site M9Powell posted some pics of a 2015 manufacture Pietta 1851 Navy .36 that seemed to have a more Colt-ish grip, more bow at the top and less tail at the bottom. I think it looks great.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9926.0;attach=7803;image

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9926.0;attach=7805;image

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 08:21:37 PM »
Yes, much more of a Colt-ish look. I would have no qualms about  going at a Pietta tail if that's what it takes to get what I want. Like Hawg says, they are usually too fat anyway.
Mike Beliveau did a video on removing the Pietta tail. I would probably do the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:00:09 PM by Captainkirk »