Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Navy accuracy?  (Read 14119 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
1851 Navy accuracy?
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
Is it unreasonable to want an 1851 Navy that's capable of 2" groups to point of aim at 25 yards?

If that's not unreasonable, which make and model would be the best chance? Uberti London, Uberti regular model or Pietta steel frame .36?

Or should I just work with what I have, which is a Colt 2nd Gen F-Series, and do a bunch of work to it like bed the arbor, ream out the cylinder chambers, recut the forcing cone, crown the muzzle, correct the timing, ect.?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Navy accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »
Is it unreasonable to want an 1851 Navy that's capable of 2" groups to point of aim at 25 yards?

If that's not unreasonable, which make and model would be the best chance? Uberti London, Uberti regular model or Pietta steel frame .36?

Or should I just work with what I have, which is a Colt 2nd Gen F-Series, and do a bunch of work to it like bed the arbor, ream out the cylinder chambers, recut the forcing cone, crown the muzzle, correct the timing, ect.?

Hi Lonesome, IMO most any brand of .36 1851 should be able to shoot 2-2.5" groups @25yds right out of the box. Smooth the action parts, set the arbor length if desired, but forget chamber reaming, etc..

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
Out of the box Pietta, one hand.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:57:05 AM »
If the chambers are under bore size, reaming them will help with accuracy.  I remember many fellows who reamed 1860 and Remingtons to accept the 200 grain SWC match bullet used by Bullseye shooters and it helped improve their scores.  It also provided a small "shelf" upon which to seat the bullet consistently.  Anything that can be done to improve consistency from shot to shot should help improve scores.  I would start with whatever revolver you are used to shooting.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »
Hi Kevin, IMO no metal removal should be done until there is an issue with accuracy. These replica 1851s shoot better out of the box than Wild Bill Hickok's 1851 revolvers. Ok, I never tested Hickok's 1851s, but the quality built in current replicas is amazing. My .36 1851s right out of the box shoot better than any modern handgun I have ever owned. Been handgun shooting for over 50yrs. Colt got the revolver right with the 1851, there has never been a production model with better accuracy IMO.

There is always a tendency to blame the handgun rather than themselves. Do any machining on a handgun and you immediately destroy value.

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »
Hi Lonesome, you may want to revisit this post:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=964.msg8210#msg8210

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 04:47:36 AM »
Hi Kevin, IMO no metal removal should be done until there is an issue with accuracy. These replica 1851s shoot better out of the box than Wild Bill Hickok's 1851 revolvers. Ok, I never tested Hickok's 1851s, but the quality built in current replicas is amazing. My .36 1851s right out of the box shoot better than any modern handgun I have ever owned. Been handgun shooting for over 50yrs. Colt got the revolver right with the 1851, there has never been a production model with better accuracy IMO.

There is always a tendency to blame the handgun rather than themselves. Do any machining on a handgun and you immediately destroy value.

Richard,

The revolvers I remember being modified were originals being used in competition back in the last century when I got started in competition.  Those boys were all about accuracy and only accuracy. 

But, I stand by my statement, if the chamber is smaller than the bore, ream it to provide a better fit. 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »
Just wondering about the Colt's since I haven't had much luck with them. I have not had good accuracy from my old GU 1851 Navy and my new 2nd Gen 1851 Navy is something I'm still trying to get dialed in. In contrast my new 2015 production Pietta 1858 Remington .36 caliber was amazingly accurate out of the box. Thanks for all the replies.

Online 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 08:48:12 PM »
"Do any machining on a handgun and you immediately destroy value.

I disagree.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:04:57 AM »
And my luck with Colt's keeps getting worse. The new in box Colt 2nd Gen F-Series 1851 that I bought about 2 months ago now has a loose arbor after being shot only about 5 times. Just to recap, this new Colt came with 1) a hole in the arbor that goes all the way through 2) a wedge screw hole with paper thin metal next to the wedge and now 3) a loose arbor. Nicest looking $600 piece of crap ever.

Online 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »
What "hole in the arbor that goes all the way through"?  Where the wedge passes through? Pics?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »
Mike, the arbor hole goes all the way through to the loading lever. It's like if you took the loading lever off you would see a hole with the tip of the arbor poking through. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
Mike, the arbor hole goes all the way through to the loading lever. It's like if you took the loading lever off you would see a hole with the tip of the arbor poking through. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

LP, Pettifogger addressed this very issue in his articles:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=115.0
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
OK, you said hole through the arbor.

I've "fixed " those before. Remember, these "Colts" were made in the 70's/80's and have the parts ( and usual build quality) of that time period. No matter what make of open top you have, there is going to be an arbor length to barrel problem (unless it is a very late Mod. Pietta or a first gen.). Likewise, shooting a revolver in that condition is why they tear themselves up. The design is sound and very robust (stronger than the top strap frame actually) as long as it's built as designed.

If you will take care of the arbor fit (and now the loose arbor prob.), it can be an extremely accurate weapon.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »
"Do any machining on a handgun and you immediately destroy value.

I disagree.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Hi Mike, been there done that and will never again buy a modified revolver.

Most home brew mods are a disaster.

Regards,
Richard