Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A few Schneider & Glassicks  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
A few Schneider & Glassicks
« on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
Top to bottom:  a Luciano Giacosa (GLB) imported by EIG Cutley of Miami, FL, dated 1966; a Pietta by swapping the barrel assemblies between a Griawold & Gunnison and an 1851 Navy; a Riva Esterina imported by FIE and dated 1975; and a Fusav di Bini & Baronio dated 1978.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: A few Schneider & Glassicks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
Top to bottom:  a Luciano Giacosa (GLB) imported by EIG Cutley of Miami, FL, dated 1966; a Pietta by swapping the barrel assemblies between a Griawold & Gunnison and an 1851 Navy; a Riva Esterina imported by FIE and dated 1975; and a Fusav di Bini & Baronio dated 1978.

Way Cool !!
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »
Nice set of brassers,  and from a couple of the lesser known makers of yesteryear.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:49:07 PM »
Top to bottom:  a Luciano Giacosa (GLB) imported by EIG Cutley of Miami, FL, dated 1966; a Pietta by swapping the barrel assemblies between a Griswold & Gunnison and an 1851 Navy; a Riva Esterina imported by FIE and dated 1975; and a Fusav di Bini & Baronio dated 1978.

I like the wood on #2 and #4. The wood on number #1 reminds me of the stuff High Standard put on their guns when they were producing replicas. Too blond, too ugly.

Bolded: I have done that and am awaiting funds to purchase a Pietta 1851 Navy steel .36 round TG in order to create the following pistols (all Pietta .36) in addition to the 2 Pietta pistols I have:

1851 Navy Second Model Squareback Trigger Guard

1851 Navy Third Model Round Trigger Guard

G&G .36

S&G .36

Leech and Rigdon .36

And my favorite fantasy pistol: an 1851 Navy Second Model Dragoon .36 Squareback TG with the part round/part octagon barrel. I love the 1851 Navy for its lines but this is a sweeter design. A 2nd Model Dragoon in a smaller package.

I am also awaiting word insofar as the Pietta Dance & Brothers .44 as to whether it has a frame like the Pietta 1851 Navy. I have a hard time believing that Pietta would set up a new machining operation to slightly manipulate the frame, screw locations, et al.

I would like to have a Pietta Dance .36, and I have documents that ascertain that Dance actually produced a few revolvers that had recoil shields.

We shall see...

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 07:46:15 PM »
Sweet collection!
Not to be nit-picky, but only the top two could pass as S&G's as the bottom two have roll engraved cylinders.
But who cares, right? Way cool guns and rarities to boot. Enjoy!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 06:33:52 AM »
You are correct, the cylinder engraving detracts from the authenticity, but I have hesitated to remove it for fear of screwing up the cylinders.  Since they are fairly rare maybe I should just leave them alone.

RC

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
Nice set of brass framed revolvers. Ya, go ahead and leave the roll engraving on the two since they are rare.

^^^^+1

Nothing like an original repro that can't be duplicated.

Heck, you have a Pietta swap with a plain cylinder to show off. Leave the original early Italians alone. They will be worth money in the long run.

I am envious. Nice collection, sir.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo