Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: power of the 1860  (Read 13853 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Re: power of the 1860
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »

got to get better nipples before testing any further tho. these spew fouling everywhere including the hammer in enough amounts that it clogs the hammer sides enough that the sticking gets very tiresome very quickly. i blame these cheap nipples that come on the Pietta

Don't understand that. All I use is stock nipples. ???

All know is that my nipples have larger center holes which seem to allow BP fouling back on the hammer and cakes the sides of both the hammer sides and the frame sides that the hammer goes through to strike the nipples.

Not being argumentative on this but when she gums up ... a good damp cloth to clean these surfaces returns the '60' to perfect working order.
BIGTED

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 08:54:18 PM »
Hey bigted,  I have owned a couple Pietta revolvers both bought used that had stock nipples wit large flash holes.  I didn't seem to have the fouling problems you are having but both those revolvers would blow the hammer back with 30 grains Goex.   One was an 1860 and the other was a 44 cal.  '51 Navy.    I never replaced the nipples but I have since sold both of them.   Wish I had a photo of the nipples so you could compare.    Maybe Pietta had a weird run of nipples a while back.   If I remember correctly both revolvers were made around 2010.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 04:15:45 AM »
Hi, I have never had a problem with stock cones (nipples). Fouling is also dependent on the powder used. See my subjective opinion on different powder fouling:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1356.msg11667#msg11667

(
Black MZ - Very light
Graf Black Powder 3F - Very heavy
Swiss Black Powder 3F - Moderate
Triple 7 3F - Light
Pyrodex P - Heavy
Goex Olde Eynsford - Moderate
)

As a side note, even though Black Mz isn't as powerful as other propellants, it does have the nice attribute of being easy to ignite, non fouling, minimal corrosion, and allows very easy cleanup. It has become my favorite BP revolver propellant for casual shooting. Now available for $9.99/lb, it is even more attractive, see:
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Alliant-Black-MZ-Muzzleloader-Powder/productDetail/Powder-and-Primers/prod99999030268/cat100011

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »
I like Swiss and Pyrodex.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »
Swiss and Pyro P are my usual favorites too but a Sportsman’s Warehouse is about an hour and a half or two hours from me (Rhonert Park, CA) so I’m thinking Black MZ at $9.95/LB may just justify a little drive.  BMZ is low on smoke - but at that price I could forego making the usual clouds. 

It's a nice drive anyway and one can do lunch down in lib/progressive White Girl Heaven. (Where every statement sounds like a question and comes with plenty of vocal fry and laryngealisation.)  ).L
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:30:30 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
It's a nice drive anyway and one can do lunch down in lib/progressive White Girl Heaven. (Where every statement sounds like a question and comes with plenty of vocal fry and laryngealisation.)  ).L

What eeeveeeerrrrrrr. *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 10:15:43 AM »
Ted, what kind of grease were you using for the cylinder arbor lube?  I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic grease and it seems to hold down the fouling. I know it isn't PC, but if it works.....Does anyone have any thoughts on how often the old timers had to stop and clean that arbor, or what they used to lube it? Maybe they just never took their guns out to the range for extended sessions?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 10:23:05 AM »
Swiss and Pyro P are my usual favorites too but a Sportsman’s Warehouse is about an hour and a half or two hours from me (Rhonert Park, CA) so I’m thinking Black MZ at $9.95/LB may just justify a little drive.  BMZ is low on smoke - but at that price I could forego making the usual clouds. 

Hi G Dog, IMO Black Mz makes at least the same or more smoke than straight BP.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
Hi Mazo, since using Black Mz I never have to wipe down anything shooting over a hundred rounds. I use Ballistol on the arbor. Real BP will lock up everything with just a few cylinders shot. IMO that Black Mz is a gift from God for BP revolver shooters.

I'm an old timer, does my opinion count?  )lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
I'm an old timer, does my opinion count? 

Hell yes! 

Anyway, my experience with BMZ is limited.  But that will change if I can get down to that Sportsman’s Warehouse.  Lately I’m mainly a shooter of Swiss and Pyro P and need to stretch my horizons a little. 

We sound like wine connoisseurs discussing their favorite vintages.  Personally, I like a powder that’s big, bright and smoky with oaky overtones and an angular impact that carries a refined yet powerful finish.  Yep.

)l_   ...BOOM
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:08:13 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »
I'm an old timer, does my opinion count? 

Hell yes! 

Anyway, my experience with BMZ is limited.  But that will change if I can get down to that Sportsman’s Warehouse.  Lately I’m mainly a shooter of Swiss and Pyro P and need to stretch my horizons a little. 

We sound like wine connoisseurs discussing their favorite vintages.  Personally, I like a powder that’s big, bright and smoky with oaky overtones and an angular impact that carries a refined yet powerful finish.  Yep.

)l_   ...BOOM

I prefer a more sulfur-ish air, myownself...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »
I like Swiss and Pyrodex and I like my horizons just fine where they are. (7+" Don't need anything that has less fouling and it can't possibly be easier to clean than black and Pyro.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
Ted, what kind of grease were you using for the cylinder arbor lube?  I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic grease and it seems to hold down the fouling. I know it isn't PC, but if it works.....Does anyone have any thoughts on how often the old timers had to stop and clean that arbor, or what they used to lube it? Maybe they just never took their guns out to the range for extended sessions?

Yep , Mobil-1 and recently I use green syn from NAPA here in town. Problem is the hammer sticky tho not the arbor.

I am having a bit of trouble liking the 60 over my 61 Navy tho. Always liked the bigger bore revolvers but I have fell pretty hard on the 61 Navy.

Might need to sell this 60 or modify it into a shorty belt gun hmmm...
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »
Hi bigted, while it's an Italian invention, the Pietta .44 Pietta is a pretty nice handling gun. The power of an 1860 in an 1851 package. What's also nice is that it doesn't have those nasty stock mounting screws of the 1860 to mess with your hand. If you are looking for raw power, Dragoon (Mike) has some Walkers on sale from him for a great price. See:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1715.msg16271#msg16271

Regards,
Richard

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
Hi bigted, while it's an Italian invention, the Pietta .44 Pietta is a pretty nice handling gun. The power of an 1860 in an 1851 package. What's also nice is that it doesn't have those nasty stock mounting screws of the 1860 to mess with your hand. If you are looking for raw power, Dragoon (Mike) has some Walkers on sale from him for a great price. See:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1715.msg16271#msg16271

Regards,
Richard

My 61 is the 36 cal as it should be. It is a very sexy revolver and is easy on powder and lead as well as recoil with the balls as ammo. I
BIGTED