Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Half fluted Army - Uberti  (Read 4603 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Half fluted Army - Uberti
« on: June 11, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
Today at the gun show I ran across an Uberti Army with a half fluted cylinder.  Externally it didn't look bad, but is totally locked up on the internals, looks like it was fired and put away without cleaning 10 years ago, soot on the nipples, similar in the chambers with some spotty rust.  Probably just needs a few days soak and a good cleaning.  I do not need it of course, but love projects.  For $150, the deal also includes a pocket model with what looked like a 6 inch barrel, not in the greatest of condition either, no bluing on it, some small rust, locked up.  Looking back on it, probably should have walked out with them, but was trying to maintain some discipline.  Now thinking about going back tomorrow and getting them.

Anybody have a half fluted Army?  Like it, don't like it?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Half fluted Army - Uberti
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:11:23 AM »
I have walked away from several deals at gun shows and went back the next day only to find them gone.   Best to jump on them right away or forget it.    Hope it's still there when you go back.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »
No offense, but sounds like you got the better half of the bargain by walking.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:35:11 AM »
In the end I didn't go back.  There are plenty of orphan BP guns out there looking for a good home, can't bring them all home tempting as it often is.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
A tear down would have been good, but this one required soaking first.  Its kind of twisted but there's almost more satisfaction in finding one that doesn't function at all and turning it back into a shooter, as opposed to buying a well used but functioning shooter.  I think the guns are strong enough in design and simple enough in functionality that a great cleaning and a miscellaneous part or two and you're likely to end up with something good again. 

Guess I'm just a sucker for projects...oh well, there'll be more...

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Just like you whip, I am always tempted to bring the orphans home and make them healthy again. And of course, every one that you leave behind, you later wonder if it was salvageable. To bad you did not have a chance to tear then apart and check the internals.

Hi scooby, I like that concept too. Unfortunately the orphans purchased by me have had an ignorant wannabee gunsmith morons do significant damage to the firearms purchased. These days I will only buy a used gun from a known seller of good reputation. Some guns need to be turned into steel scrap.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!