Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Arbor Length  (Read 12222 times)

Offline rodwha

• View Profile
Arbor Length
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
We've all, no doubt, read/heard that Uberti models suffer from short arbors. But I can't say I've read even one mention issues with their Police or Pocket Navy. Anyone?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Arbor Length
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
Yap, same problem.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »
Hi rodwha, all my Uberti Colts have the short arbor problem. For the life of me, I don't understand why. Pietta can get it right, but all Uberti Colts have that issue. There is a workaround if you don't want to do the arbor extension mod, use a feeler gauge to set the barrel/cylinder gap.

I'm still trying to learn if this is a Colt design or Uberti implementation issue for the short arbors.

Unfortunately, if you are interested in the 1847, 1849, or 1862 Colt there is only one replica manufacture, Uberti.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »
You can use a feeler gauge to set the gap but I'm sure Dragoon will tell you it won't stop the wedge from being battered.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »
Hi, Hawg, there's perfection and then there is close. Perfection is to have Dragoon to do a Colt job, or use an arbor mod, or workaround for us cheap guys. Maybe I'm just an anal retentive, but prefer to learn and understand functioning of all my guns and do any modifications myself. It's an ego thing.  ^j) ^j) ^j)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »
I do all my own work too. I'm just saying the arbor length is an easy fix. No use in having parts getting beat up when you don't have to.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »
Agreed, very easy.  I shim stacked mine till I got it past close, glued then filed it checking with a feeler gauge.

Took an hour maybee.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »
Chuckle. Buy a Pietta and you won't have that problem.

Not to be snide, but I don't think Uberti is paying attention to its customers via these forums, and I really think Pietta is, due to the loss of the Pietta "tail" grip since the 2015 [CN] production concerning both the 1851 Navy and the G&G. Pietta arbors have been pretty much spot on since going to CNC machining around 2000. Why Uberti has not caught up and changed their arbor length says volumes insofar as their reputation as being a more quality pistol. They seem to be resting upon their laurels.

I actually like the Pietta "tail" grip insofar as it fits my hand. The newer Pietta 1851 Navy/G&G, et al, have a thicker wrist and I don't care for it as much, but the "purists" here will probably like it better because it appears to be a more conformist idea of the quintessential "original" 1851 Navy grip configuration.

Nothing could be further from the truth. See Nathan L. Swayze " '51 Colt Navies" and William Albaugh's  "Confederate Handguns".

Have a good evening folks.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 08:06:08 PM »
Does Uberti agree that there is an arbor length problem, and if they do, why don’t they fix it?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
Hawg!!!   (7+",
 That is exactly what I was thinking as I read Richards post !! Lol!!

Richard, first gen arbors did bottom out in the bbl assy. I've been studying .  .  .  .
  and, thanks for the complement! :)

Soundguy, Good for you, that's the way to do it!!

Sourdough,    Piettas are a good value for the price and they got the arbor situation pretty much right but the action parts are a dead ringer for the 1970's!!   I still think better materials are used in the Uberti's , they have the right contours (heck, they supplied frames/ parts for the 2nd gens!!) and they have really nice action parts.  If they fixed the arbor length, it'd sure make my job easier.

That's the biggest difference working on the two.
 Pietta action parts need a lot of attention and the arbor is almost a "final tuning" thing.
 Uberti action parts are much quicker to set up but the arbor takes more time.   It's a trade off .  .  .  . 

After all is done I'd go with the Uberti.  (The Pietta is a very close 2nd though!!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »
G Dog,
  They don't see a problem.

Probably the manufacture set up. That's why all 2nd gens are short too .  .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @  goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:20:20 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 09:55:15 PM »
I actually like the Pietta "tail" grip insofar as it fits my hand. The newer Pietta 1851 Navy/G&G, et al, have a thicker wrist and I don't care for it as much, but the "purists" here will probably like it better because it appears to be a more conformist idea of the quintessential "original" 1851 Navy grip configuration.

Nothing could be further from the truth. See Nathan L. Swayze " '51 Colt Navies" and William Albaugh's  "Confederate Handguns".

Nobody is denying some Colt's had a flare but none of them had the bell shape that Pietta's do. The newer Pietta grips look closer to the final rendition of the 51 grips. Not perfect but closer than the bell ever was to any of them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »
Hi Mike, I have both new production Uberti and Pietta 1851s and 1858s. The Uberti seem to have a slightly better feel in my hand, seem more robust, and slightly better external fit and finish. However, the low cost of the Piettas and Pietta parts compared to the higher cost Uberti is the smart money. One can go shooting a Pietta right out the box, the Uberti's seem to always require work before shooting. Both the Uberti's and Piettas shoot the same, I have never noticed an accuracy difference.

IMO a new shooter today should start with Pietta's till they are coming out of their ears and only then consider the Uberti's if really serious about BP shooting.

Regards,
Richard

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 05:17:25 AM »
  I just got an Uberti pocket navy, short arbor, eats caps, and needs a pipe wrench to turn the cylinder. Nice finish on the grips, but they appear to have been fitted on a very dry day and now  have sharp edges sticking out past the frame at various locations, so the pretty finish is pointless since the grips will need refitting, same problem with the grips on my Uberti 1861. I'm pretty much pistoled out, but if I buy any more it'll be a couple of the newer Pieta 51's without the tail.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:35:09 AM »
Richard,  sorta feel the same way. Pietta is a good inexpensive way to introduce oneself to bp. A nicely set up Uberti will give feel and function of originals, last a lifetime!

Wicket,
 The smallest revolver I've ever owned was a '51 Navy copy. Never cared for the smaller ones or anything in the .31 cal.
I did get my son a spur trigger Remie when he was 10. His, not mine.
 It seems the fit and finish of the "regular" revolvers from Uberti are pretty consistent (especially the Dragoons!!).
This of course is my particular preference.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com