Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Why?  (Read 5853 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Why?
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
Hi, does anyone know why the Italian replica manufacturers aren't making the Paterson's anymore?

Where's the best place to find one?

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
Its kinda small market. Mostly just us old diehard soot throwers want it,,,lol... Dixie Gun Works and Taylor and Company are showing em in stock. Made by Pietta

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder-revolvers/1836-paterson.html

www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3489&osCsid=hf8oumemo7cksal11m4eel01d3

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
Hi Hawken, $600 seems pretty stiff for a Paterson when one can get an 1851, 1858, or 1860 for ~$200. Even a new Walker is $350. There is obviously a shortage of Patersons.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »
I've noticed the rise in Paterson prices over the last couple years.   I was happy to find a reasonably price one a year or so ago.    They have always been more expensive than most other reproductions.  There are way more parts and more machining to do on a Paterson than a '51.   In addition fewer people are willing to pay the higher price so fewer are/were produced which keeps the prices higher.   
I love owning one and get it out to shoot once in a while but I have considered selling mine more than a couple times just because of the prices they bring.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 09:58:25 AM »
You can find Patersons for sale on Gunbroker from time to time. The prices are... (jh   8)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
You can find Patersons for sale on Gunbroker from time to time. The prices are... (jh   8)

That's exactly why I have considered selling mine.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »
As Mike said, there are way more parts involved in a Paterson (see Scooby's thread with the disassembly pictures) and most of them are not interchangeable with other Colt models. Ergo...$$$$.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for the explanation. I brought up Scooby's thread, but the photos are gone.   :'( :'( :'(

Regards,
Richard

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
Paterson's don't excite me but I would like to have one of these.  (7+"

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:48 AM »
Hi, does anyone know why the Italian replica manufacturers aren't making the Paterson's anymore?

Where's the best place to find one?

Regards,
Richard

The best place to find a Paterson is in my gun safe, right where my 80 pound Pit Bull, best friend sleeps.

Seriously though, I looked for quiet a while, until I found a Cimarron Paterson with the loading lever.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:06:52 PM by Stillwater »
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.