Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Lube, Chamber sealing, revolver.  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
Lube, Chamber sealing, revolver.
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »
I have a  silver oiler from Dixie Gun Works.  What s  it filled with?  Olive oil.  What do I do with it?  I use it to prevent Flashover chain fire.  A drop onto the ball after it is seated.

Yeah,  I ll have to get some photos of me and my  'rig'.  I look-  Half Josey Wales, half Jim bridger and half Whirling Dervish.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: Lube, Chamber sealing, revolver.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:27 AM »
With a properly fitting ball, the lead will seal the chamber much better than any liquid or grease.  The instructions supplied by the Colt factory with the revolvers does not mention using anything over the balls when loading.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
With a properly fitting ball, the lead will seal the chamber much better than any liquid or grease.  The instructions supplied by the Colt factory with the revolvers does not mention using anything over the balls when loading.

Kevin

Yeah but when for whatever reason you don't get a proper fit then you have a chain fire, so it's an ounce of prevention. I have one old Remington that will chain if you don't use wads or some kind of over ball lube and I have heard the theory that crushed powder particles can get between the ball and chamber to make a fire path to the main charge. I can see that happening in some instances.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
And Crisco is sooooo cheap ;)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
And Crisco is sooooo cheap ;)

And sooooo messy. Most people do use way too much of it tho. I don't like it because it gets runny in summer heat.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
I mix a little wax in mine, but I dont trowel it on either, just a dab will do ya