Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Buffalo on sale  (Read 6556 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Buffalo on sale
« on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
Hi, Cabelas has the 1858 Buffalo on sale with free shipping, $200. See:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=733606&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=24ad6e71ac1084515cb2f066f2a0fb54

IMO if you are looking for a tack driver this brass framed Buffalo with target sights is a steal. While I generally prefer a steel framed revolver, there is not a smother action revolver than a brass frame. Just keep loading reasonable. With free shipping I ordered one.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Buffalo on sale
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »
Hi, you waited too long, they just raised the price $20.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »
Oh, jeez...and here I thought you were selling a buffalo...

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »
Hi, the new brass framed 1858 Buffalo revolver is expected to arrive tomorrow. I had already made a .22 full length barrel for use with a steel frame Buffalo and .22 Kirst conversion cylinder, see:

I may dedicate the new Buffalo to .22 and have four brass framed revolvers converted to .22. Since the Buffalo has adjustable sights, not having a .22 barrel with poi adjustment will still work.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »
Hi, the brass framed Pietta 1858 Buffalo arrived yesterday. The revolver seems perfect in fit, finish, and timing. This is the new revolver:

There is one issue that I need to report on. Like the new trick of radiusing the bolt edge by Uberti, Pietta now has a timing trick of their own. That trick is to cut the bolt right edge at an angle. It's obvious this trick minimizes the work to do correct timing, a shortcut. See:

While that may be good for them, it's not for us that will see accelerated uneven cylinder bolt slot wear. I will replace the "trick" bolt with a full width replacement.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 06:18:09 AM »
Hi, the new brass framed Pietta 1858 Buffalo with full length .22 barrel and Kirst conversion cylinder installed:

The bolt was changed and a reduced power spring installed. This revolver is now ready for some tack driving.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 06:59:01 AM »
Looks good to me!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:09:54 AM »
Hi, this morning I went out back and shot my new Pietta 12" Buffalo with Kirst .22 conversion cylinder at steel targets. After a few cylinders the sights were adjusted to have the poi=poa. Shooting accuracy of this revolver combination was outstanding, 1" groups from a rest at 25yds. This accuracy was with crappy Remington Thunderbolt .22s, I wonder what it will do with match ammo. Since this brass framed Buffalo is now sighted in for .22 it will remain dedicated to that application. I have a steel framed Buffalo that I shoot with C&B and .25 Colt conversion cylinders.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:12:04 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
Nice looking gun Richard. Like the 22 cal conversion also.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »
Hi, I ordered another Kirst .22 Conversion Cylinder for this brass framed Pietta 1858 Buffalo today, see:
https://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/kirstkonverter-1858remingtonconversionkitfor22cartridges.aspx

While I already have one of these for another 8" Pietta brass framed 1858, the new .22 conversion will allow dedicating this conversion to the Pietta Buffalo revolver. Economically, doing these .22 conversions is a financial disaster, but shooting tack driving BP replica revolvers with .22s is a real hoot.

BTW, communicating with Kirst I learned that they couldn't offer a full length barrel because of patent issues. Maybe the Dan Wesson method of barrel attachment is the patent issue? However, patents don't prevent an individual of using that information for their own use.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 04:31:29 AM »
Hi, the new Kirst .22 Conversion Cylinder has been fitted to the Pietta brass framed 1858 Remington revolver. Each cylinder chamber edit diameter of 0.220" was hand reamed to 0.2235". This Buffalo/Kirst combination still requires shooting to verify the .22 equipped conversion cylinder revolver. This is a photo of my .22 converted Buffalo:

I don't like that brass colored bushing at the muzzle and will blacken it.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »
My LGS has a brass frame Buffalo in the case for $150. Not really interested in brass frame revolvers, though. They also have a brass frame "1851".

I'd be interested in a steel frame Buffalo, if I came across one at the right price.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 09:17:32 AM »
Huuummm , regarding the brass muzzle tip of the .22 barrel,
I like the look,  L@.  it is balanced by the brass frame and the brass cylinder cone.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
Hi Hewy, too late, I blackened the front brass bushing, see:

IMO it looks pretty good and I will blacken the rear barrel bushing the next time I take the revolver apart.

That full length .22 barrel is 13" and will produce a velocity close to maximum for the high speed .22LR from a rifle.

I do appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 12:13:48 PM »
Truth is, it looks good either way L@.
Brass has its own benefit , "they shur R purdy"
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.