Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Repro makers of Spiller and Burr?  (Read 4151 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Repro makers of Spiller and Burr?
« on: October 06, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »
Can someone tell me how many repro makers of the S&B revolver there are, or have been? I am watching one now at auction and can't tell if it is an aged repro or a nicely kept but aged original. Pictures would be a big plus!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Repro makers of Spiller and Burr?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »
AFAIK Pietta and Palmetto were the only ones making them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
Thanks Hawg; do you know if those had the screw/stud or thumb lever arbor retainer? Where would the serial number have been located?

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Repro makers of Spiller and Burr
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
Here are some pictures. Do you think it might be a de-farbed Pietta? I understand the thumb lever is on the left side on those.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotImageViewer.asp?ahid=3777&aid=116970&lid=32391557&url=820.jpg

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
It ain't original.  Grip profile looks like Pietta. That is so far off from an original it isn't funny. Hammer profile, bolt notches, cylinder recesses for the nipples,  frame cutout, loading port, trigger guard, loading lever latch and catch, grip profile, grip escutcheon. The whole thing is just wrong in so many ways.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:42:40 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
I agree, but they call it a Spiller and Burr. About the only thing right (as far as I know) is the solid frame on the left side. If they can get that right, why not a bit more correctness? How hard would it be to make the correct grip frame and trigger guard at least? As I learned more about this gun I realized it was a repro.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »
Just another thought....we complain about correctness, but then it would make it easier for some unscrupulous person to make fakes. Before I found out better, I was thinking that maybe this gun was original or maybe a mix of original and repro. A little research soon got me on the right track.