Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Griswold and Gunnison on sale  (Read 10289 times)

Offline don3

• View Profile
Re: Griswold and Gunnison on sale
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
Jim, have not had much chance to do anything with it yet what with the holiday and a house full all weekend. The trigger wasn't to bad and fit and finish was good. I most likly not shoot it till spring along withn the 1860 I bought a few weeks ago. On a up note I picked up a 2nd gen colt 1862 on Saturday. Kind of fell in my lap. Will get some photos up soon.

Don

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »
Jim, have not had much chance to do anything with it yet what with the holiday and a house full all weekend. The trigger wasn't to bad and fit and finish was good. I most likly not shoot it till spring along withn the 1860 I bought a few weeks ago. On a up note I picked up a 2nd gen colt 1862 on Saturday. Kind of fell in my lap. Will get some photos up soon.

Don
That's pretty exciting news, Don. Especially the 2nd gen! Looking forward to photos!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 08:50:50 AM »
For those looking for a Griswold & Gunnison, there is an ASM on Gun Broker with a starting bid of $125.00.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607281737

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
And it's actually in the correct .36 caliber!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
It appears that the date stamp is [AP] (1986), starting bid $125, no reserve, and no bids so far. Closing date is Christmas night so this would be a good one to watch.

That is not a bad pistol to bid upon, especially if one collects ASM pistols.

I won't be a competitor because I have a Pietta G&G .36 [CN] (2015) and I doubt ASM parts would interchange with my Pietta 1851 Navy .36 pistols.

Since it is listed as a "Brass frame reproduction ASM Colt 36 caliber", it would seem that the seller does not perceive this as a G&G repro, almost like the early Italian manufacturer who produced an "accidental" Schneider & Glassick .36 using a brass framed 1851 with an octagonal barrel at about the same time.  Since the seller posted only 3 pictures, if I was bidding, I would contact the seller about loose arbor/cylinder pin and/or damaged nipples. It seems to only have a very slight turn ring on the cylinder, so either the timing is good or it just sat around getting a good brass patina, especially the dark trigger guard (it appears to be brass if looking at the front strap). All of the screw slots in the photos appear very good, not turned.

Hope someone here scores well with their bid.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo