Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: LGS...really?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
LGS...really?
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
The other night while shooting at the LGS and range, after having some fun I browsed the cases to see what was new.
There was a Pietta Army (year unknown) that appeared to be used but in decent shape. I didn't ask to look at it because the tag on it said.....$479.00. (jh
Really?!!!
For THIS gun? (Cabela's normal pricing, not sale pricing) ($279.00)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/black-powder-firearms/black-powder-revolvers|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/571854780/i/567338580/pietta-model-1860-army-44-caliber-black-powder-revolver/705022.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fblack-powder-revolvers%2F_%2FN-1115735%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_567338580

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. This is, IMHO, price gouging aimed at the person who knows little or nothing about black powder firearms. Either that, or the proprietor knows little about it and is pricing it in line with current day handgun pricing...which I find hard to believe.
What say you, gents? I realize it's the owner's prerogative to ask anything he wants for a used gun, but c'mon....really?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:24:54 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Don

• View Profile
Re: LGS...really?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »
Ignorance and gouging if you ask me. I've been seeing stupid prices on bp guns for a few years now. Lucky for me a local shop has an owner that doesn't like to deal with BP guns so I can get them from him cheap when he has them.

Don

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
You should have offered him 100 just to see the look on his face.  (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »
Can't think of anything good to say.  No excuse for it.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
Here in Idaho (in my area), I see used bp revolvers being sold at new or better prices qll the time. I've found the best place to buy one is off a gunsmith that actually knows the value and is willing to go for less just to change his inventory and free up some money to buy contemporary weapons.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:31:06 PM »
 I just took possession of a nice used Pietta '60. Got it at a local (sort of) auction house. Date code was lightly struck, but I could see the last letter was T and the first appeared to maybe be B. I looked it up and that is the only combination, so it was made in 2003. Oh, paid $160.00 for it; didn't think that was too bad. I'll post pictures up as soon as PhotoBucket gets their act together, or I find a new storage site.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »
I just took possession of a nice used Pietta '60. Got it at a local (sort of) auction house. Date code was lightly struck, but I could see the last letter was T and the first appeared to maybe be B. I looked it up and that is the only combination, so it was made in 2003. Oh, paid $160.00 for it; didn't think that was too bad. I'll post pictures up as soon as PhotoBucket gets their act together, or I find a new storage site.
Find a new storage site. You can thank me later.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »
At a gun show, a vendor had an ASM Walker.  Listed for $575.  I told him I was very familiar with the type and asked why he had it priced so.  He simply stated-  I aquired it, Don't  know anything about it.  I just priced it as I saw fit.

It had no barrel lug address and the loading lever was bent.

I was, for a moment, going to offer $200 for it, while holding 2 hundreds in front of him.  I did nt.  Nor did I say anything more.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:15:52 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 04:00:15 PM »
At a gun show, a vendor had an ASM Walker.  Listed for $575.  I told him I was very familiar with the type and asked why he had it priced so.  He simply stated-  I aquired it, Don't  know anything about it.  I just priced it as I saw fit.

I was, for a moment, going to offer $200 for it, while holding 2 hundreds in front of him.  I dd nt.  Nor did I say anything more.

Speakin' o'  Walkers...you still have any plans on dumping those two repros ya got? (not in the SF Bay...please!)
I've seen a couple semi-decent ones on GB but am reluctant to throw any bids out until you're made a decision...

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »
I guess, in my mumblings and ramblings,  I let loose that I intend to cull Walkers?  I guess I did!  I am going to review my posts to see where I revealled this.

Anyhoo,  As I stated afore,  I am culling all fleet units, formally known as 'Replica Colts'.  It has been ongoing.  All are gone except for 4 remaining.  I intended to dispose of them in various ways.  As it is,  I would like to put at least one of them through this forum.  Meaning:  Sell it to someone here.  Like the Dragoon.

Walkers?  Hmm?  I    w o n d e r   if any of the Walkers are still in mothballs?  I ll  check.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:46:52 PM by Krylandalian »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »
I guess, in my mumblings and ramblings,  I let loose that I intend to cull Walkers?  I guess I did!  I am going to review my posts to see where I revealled this.

Anyhoo,  As I stated afore,  I am culling all fleet units, formally known as 'Replica Colts'.  It has been ongoing.  All are gone except for 4 remaining.  I intended to dispose of them in varios ways.  As it is,  I would like to put at least one of them through this forum.  Meaning:  Sell it to someone here.  Like the Dragoon.

Walkers?  Hmm?  I    w o n d e r   if any of the Walkers are still in mothballs?  I ll  check.

Good job!   G r e a t !   I bought 3 Walkers (ASM s)  from Primitive Arms in 1985 for $100 ea.  One was stainless.  It was a little more.  I still have the two Blued ones, which were antiqued- Unblued Cylinder with pressure ridge and so on.  These walkers are on the way out and will be  'culled'.

You called it. Waiting with bated breath.... L@J

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:32:28 AM »

I was, for a moment, going to offer $200 for it, while holding 2 hundreds in front of him.  I did nt.  Nor did I say anything more.

You should have, you never know. I offered 300.00 for an original trapdoor carbine in the early 90's because I didn't care if I ticked the dude off or not and walked out the door with it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »
Doh!   No Sir!  The court transcript says I said it, so I reckon I said it!!!

Memory forgets,  Paper don t.

Yeah, Hawg.  That ASM Walker, my ego was doing the wondering.  There s     n o    w a y    I wanted that thing.  Not that is was bad or anything,  it s  just that I don t  want anymore  'Replicas'.  I place that word in    q u  o t e s   because there is varying oppinion as to what replica means.  For the purpose of this post, replica means-  A copy made by other than the original maker s  intent.  Maker means: Original and all lineage entities wthin the original framework.  Intent means: Manufactured directly  and or indirectly (Legally authorized is implied. Rights infringements N/A).