Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Primitive deer hunt?  (Read 8122 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Primitive deer hunt?
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
Well, I've 'been' twice now, using my Lyman Trade Rifle in cal. .50 shooting 90gr Pyrodex RS and Lee REAL bullets, 320gr hand-cast. Never had the opportunity to drop down on a deer, though....taken a few with my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem, though.....
Anyone taken a deer with a muzzleloader or BP handgun?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Primitive deer hunt?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
I have taken 3 with my M/L rifle and Trade gun. None with a pistol though. I hunt with my M/Lers all through the regular gun season and then in the M/L season. I am slowing down though so will not be hunting much soon; my wife doesn't want me to climb up to the top of our hill alone anymore. We have 20 acres in the country with an 11 acre woods. Not much you say? Well, that little patch of woods has accounted for over 24 deer taken in the last 6 years! We live in a CWD Eradication Zone and can shoot deer like crazy. This has cut down the number of deer, but not as drastically as you might think. We have seen two does with twins in our yard this Spring and I'm sure there are more out there.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
Next time out I am tempted to drag the smoke pole along again. Haven't been for several years due to: 'funding' and a bad back.
Out of state WI license is a killer year after year. It's fine if you get a deer, but if you strike out, licence plus gas plus hotel room plus eats and gear....I was dropping the better part of 5 bills a year and coming home empty-handed and hobbling like an ol' man......so I quit for a bit.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
Scooby, I admire your choice of gun! I had a good friend build me a Beck style rifle a couple of years ago. I say Beck style because I had him build it with hand forged iron furniture. On another forum, I was told in no uncertain terms that ol' JP NEVER made an iron mounted gun. This with only 7 known existing guns?  Anyway, it is my gun and what I wanted. Congratulations on your successful hunt!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Now, THAT is deer hunting. Scooby, good karma sliding your way just for the picture!
Something to be said for taking a beautiful animal like that in the old way. I admire your tenacity and grit, my friend. I would love to hear the complete story that goes along with the picture.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
Scooby, we have a primitive season here in Wis. but the DNR allows in-lines and 1X "scopes". Also have to wear hunter safety orange clothing. I have friend who made an orange frock, and I have an orange tuque, but it just isn't the same.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:16 AM »
Scooby here is my rifle as posted on another forum. Note that not only is it iron mounted, but left hand as well!
Author Topic: My NICEST flintlock rifle  (Read 1724 times)
Well, guess that didn't work, will have to wait until I get my computer from the repair shop so I can post pictures.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:45:53 AM by mazo kid »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
I've taken a few in years past with a .50 Investarms Hawken. I got this doe last year with my custom built .54 Hawken. I had a good broadside shot at around 50 yards but as I was bringing the rifle up she turned her butt to me. I waited hoping she would turn back around but she wouldn't and just kept getting further away. She did look around every once in awhile and while I don't normally like taking a head shot I aimed at where her head was when she turned and when she did I popped her behind the ear from 65 yards.

I'm one of the few people in the state still hunting primitive weapons season with a muzzle loader since Ms. now allows single shot breech loaders with smokeless powder and scopes. I didn't get to go any at all this year.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »
I've taken a few in years past with a .50 Investarms Hawken. I got this doe last year with my custom built .54 Hawken. I had a good broadside shot at around 50 yards but as I was bringing the rifle up she turned her butt to me. I waited hoping she would turn back around but she wouldn't and just kept getting further away. She did look around every once in awhile and while I don't normally like taking a head shot I aimed at where her head was when she turned and when she did I popped her behind the ear from 65 yards.

I'm one of the few people in the state still hunting primitive weapons season with a muzzle loader since Ms. now allows single shot breech loaders with smokeless powder and scopes. I didn't get to go any at all this year.

I like that, Hawg! Sometimes with game it's shit or get off the pot and you gotta take that iffy shot of dine on track soup. Kudos for bringing down a nice doe;how you managed doesn't really matter, does it? ;)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
Well Capt., here are the details of what I do remember. I had the flinter charged with 70 grains of Goex 3F and the pan primed with the same. I used a round ball of .490 diameter that I casted myself wrapped in a linen patch lubed with bear grease. I had gotten to my desired location in the canyon that I often hunt under the cover of darkness and then started still hunting, which is the only way that I hunt. I came over the rise of a steep ridge not long after daylight and spotted this buck at around 100 yards below me on the lee side of the ridge. He was not aware of my presence and slowly walking to my left and I figured I could close the distance by a few yards, so I used what trees were available and got to within 60 yards of him. Turns out that I ended up with a clear broadside view as he paused to look around and was able to make a clean off hand shot and place the ball through both lungs, although I hit him a bit higher in the lungs than I intended. He went about 40 yards and fell down in a steep ravine and I was able to watch him die out right there. I was able to drag him out whole about 3/4 of a mile to my truck. The pic shown was taken on self timer on my property after I had gotten him home. I felt very lucky on this particular day and it still seems like it happened just last fall.

It's gotta be a great feeling, Scoob. The two years I hunted primitive it was primitive weapon only as I still had to wear the orange monkey suit with the back tag....and I saw at least four deer according to my journal entry, but did not have an antlerless permit either year so let 'em walk. The first year I took one was the following year with my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem but I almost wished I'd held out and used the ML. Thanks for the great story!

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »
Here in Kentucky, before the modern firearms season, there is a week end of early muzzleloading season. After the modern firearms season, there's the week of muzzleloader season. I went all three seasons, saw plenty of tracks, but no deer. We have to wear orange here too, but no back tag, but we do need to have our hunting license and deer tag with us.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
We have to wear orange but don't have tags. We can legally take 8, five does and three bucks but there's no check points and no records so a lot of folks kill a lot more.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
Hawg, that was some good shootin'. Congrats!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
Thanks.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »
Thanks, I've only had it out a couple of times and hoping for an early spring. Hah! Bitter cold and windy for next week too, no shooting in sight for a while.  :'(