Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Great, Great Brasser Debate  (Read 28226 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
Re: The Great, Great Brasser Debate
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »

Both of my wrists have been fused and any kind of shock to either wrist is extremely painful. Like finger-in-a-light-socket painful, or slam-your-hand-in-a-car-door painful. The kind of pain that you think, yeah, I don't wanna do that again anytime soon.
Could I shoot smaller caliber stuff? Probably. But I really like black powder pistols so I buy the ones I like. Look at the time I save in not needing to clean them.
That said, I wouldn't mind buying a cartridge conversion cylinder for my Walker. You know, just in case I was in the mood to shove my finger in a light socket. 😁
For now, I'll just live vicariously through your adventures.

if you stick with light cowboy loads for the walker, there is little to no recoil due to the insane weight of the gun itself... but if you fire the loads i use, yeah, finger in a light socket does describe it well, oh and my wrists are perfectly fine...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »
You might want to consider a mouse gun (.31cal) with a little 10gr load, FLD. Sorry to hear about your wrists.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline FLD

• Retirement suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »
Thanks guys. Not to sing a tale of woe, or to take this thread too far off-topic, I'm just now recovering from knee revision surgery (look that up on Wikipedia) performed on Dec. 9. I wore the left replacement knee out, which was installed in 2002. Right knee was done in 2008. I'm 63 now, so I wasn't very old when I had them replaced, not to mention my age when I started having trouble with them (45). I visit the pain clinic every ten weeks for cervical and lumbar epidural injections, which has been working well for me and beats the crap out of spine surgery. Degenerative joint disease isn't a barrel of laughs.
I stay in pretty good shape, I've weighed 190 for 20 years, and given that I have a leaking aortic valve (remember the drug Viox?) I'm in pretty good physical condition. Yeah, I know, it sucks to be me some days. But being retired is fricking awesome!
But I enjoy going to Cabela's, Dick's, Dunham's and MC Sporting Goods to see what's new in the gun display cases (Bass Pro Shops gets a visit whenever I drive to Chicago).Sometimes one of the bp guns calls my name and says, "Dave, buy me", and sometimes one of them gets added to the collection.
And I keep a 1911 for home defense. It's not a barbeque gun by any means, but it'll get the job done, even if it's going to hurt my wrists when I pull the trigger.
My brasser is still my favorite gun to look at. And even though I don't post very often, I enjoy reading the threads here. Tons of great info and lots of interesting conversations.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »
(Bass Pro Shops gets a visit whenever I drive to Chicago).Sometimes one of the bp guns calls my name and says, "Dave, buy me", and sometimes one of them gets added to the collection.
Chicago? Would that be the Gurnee Mills location? If so, shoot me a pm if in the area. I frequent that one quite often.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
They have a Bass Pro in Chicago?  (jh
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »
North 'burbs...about 10 minutes from my house.

Offline FLD

• Retirement suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
Again, not to cruise too far off topic, there's a Bass Pro on 94 in Indiana at exit 19 and another that I know of in Bolingbrook Illinois. Never been past the one in Gurnee, and I've never stopped at the one in Bolingbrook, just driven past it on my way home from the Schaumburg Carmax and Manheim Arena Auction. Being from Michigan, any gun I buy has to be shipped to my FFL guy.
I stop at the Cabela's in Indiana at I 94 and 41 quite often, exit 2 I think.