Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Historiclally Accurate S & G's  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Rcampb6131

• View Profile
Historiclally Accurate S & G's
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »
For anyone interested, there are 3 historically accurate Schneider & Glassicks on Gunbroker.com.  Item numbers:  621839477, 625520224, and 625203155.

RC
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:03:28 PM by Rcampb6131 »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Historiclally Accurate S & G's
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
That first one has a nasty cylinder gap.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
For anyone interested, there are 3 historically accurate Schneider & Glassicks on Gunbroker.com.  Item numbers:  621839477, 625520224, and 625203155.

That first one has a nasty cylinder gap.

Hawg, I believe you are correct, and it was probably a brasser that someone shot with big loads suitable for a steel framed 1851 repro and the cylinder has set back into the recoil shield. Such it was in that generally uninformed era, and that was 40-60 years ago.

Having said that, all three pistols are of the era when there were many more manufacturers of C&B pistols with many different importer/distributor markings, as opposed to today's manufacturers where one can pick from Pietta or Uberti (kind of like Henry Ford's Model T's: you could have it in any color as long as it was black).

http://www.earmi.it/A-Enciclopedia/default.html

I am not speaking for RC, but I sincerely believe he and I are somewhat similar in that he is pointing out that these 3 pistols are repro "collectibles", and that they are pretty much historically correct (.36 caliber, smooth cylinder, et al, in an era when these pistols were not marketed or even recognized as S&G's). I truly believe that there is a niche for folks who don't shoot these gems, and just collect for the different manufacturers/importers/distributors.

Dr. Jim L. Davis was the main impetus for this, but I feel he is not going to continue due to health problems http://rprca.tripod.com/ .

Thanks for posting those, RC! Good leads for those interested, although the asking prices may be a bit high. We'll see what they sell for and that will be indicative of whether there is a market for these older pistols. I am concentrating only on late Pietta 1851 Navy .36 types (due to lack of mad money!), but I love collecting historical information on repros (such as you have posted). I will keep a watch on those auctions just for my info.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
Hawg, someone thought the pistol was worth $200 +shipping.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/621839477
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
Hawg, someone thought the pistol was worth $200 +shipping.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/621839477

Bully for them.  (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »
I am fully on Sourdough's side on this. ASPs and GLBs are definitely collectible items. ASP was absorbed by Euroarms in the early 2000's. GLB sank without a trace in 1971. That only makes them collectible, as they are witnesses of the early times of italian replica making and the craft that was used to make them. Remember how original black powder Colts were considered until the 1960's.
Every black powder revolvr collection should include at least one of them, ditto for ASMs, Palmettos, GAMIs, Mavis, and so on.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Hell, I got mine for a hundred bucks...

Guy had it advertised as a"Reb Navy".
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »
Several years ago I turned down a S&G NIB for 100 bucks and may could have gotten it for 75 but didn't try.