Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Farthest Revolver Target and Hit It  (Read 4759 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Farthest Revolver Target and Hit It
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »
What's the greatest distance you guys have shot a cap and ball revolver and hit the target?  Bench rest or handheld, either way.  Does anybody regularly practice it at 75 yards or so?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Farthest Revolver Target and Hit It
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
Hi whip, every now and then I two hand shoot at my full size steel IPSC target from 100yds. Need a large holdover at that range. Once dialed in, regular consecutive hits can be made. Often, I shoot my 1851s from 75yds while 50yds is more common. However, the majority of my shooting is from 25yds.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
Side match at a SASS match in 2010 or 2011 - don't remember which - shooting off hand duelist, managed four out of five hits (twice) on a 75 yard steel buffalo target with a SS 1851 Navy, 24 gr fffg BP, wonder wad & .380 rb RB. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
50 yards is about the max I have shot with C&B and hit anything with any regularity.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Hi, shooting from a distance is simply math and mindset. Do 3" groups at 25yds means you can do 6" groups at 50yds, 9" groups from 75yds, and 12" groups from 100yds. Sometimes our old eyes and mindset gets in the way of the math?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
Most of my shooting is at 25 yards but I think spending some time shooting at longer ranges (50-75yds) would really be beneficial.  Not only would 25 yd. targets seem much larger and closer, but since these revolvers were originally designed to shoot at much greater distance I feel like I'm cramping it's style by standing on the 25 yard mark most of the time. 

Of course, shooter ability plays a big role in the equation, but, mostly I want to uncover as much potential as possible, gun and shooter.     

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
I haven't done it in a long time but used to regularly bust milk jugs at 100 yards +. The secret is not to hold over the target but use the barrel itself as part of the front sight. That way you never lose a sight picture and can repeat the shots.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
Great tip Hawg, shots at 100 yards are really cool too.  I thought about tying up a few balloons at about that range just to see if I could hit them.