Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Conical bullet paper cartridges  (Read 7281 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Conical bullet paper cartridges
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
I bought  a bullet mold from a guy who had Lee Precision make a copy of the conical bullet used in the original Johnston and Dow waterproof cartridges that were patented in 1862.    I used the bullet to make an approximation of the original cartridge except that this one is paper and the original was made of gut.   Mine is not waterproof either.   
The cartridge holds 30 grains FFFg, a lube cookie and is topped off with the 216 grain heel based conical.   The bullet measure .429 at the base and .460 at the driving band.    My 1860 Uberti has a ram that accommodates pointed bullets so that will be the revolver I use for firing these cartridges.

Offline washbuster

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: Conical bullet paper cartridges
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
your rammer is shaped like the bullet?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:17:09 AM »
your rammer is shaped like the bullet?
Yes this Uberti has a rammer made for pointed bullets.  It's not an exact fit but it's close.   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
Hi, I wonder if commercial fireworks tubing could be used to make cartridges. I am a klutz winding thin paper into paper cartridges. I came across this product, see:

http://www.pyrodirect.com/Item/065-0024

Nitrated paper could then be glued to an open end with a ball glued to the other. Maybe even nitrate the tube paper to allow complete burning?

Anyone think that this idea has merit?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
Charlie Hahn makes cartridges for and sells tubes like that for breech loading rifles.  I've never seen the cardboard tubes for revolvers.  I think it would limit the amount of powder one could load.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
Hi Mike, the wall thickness is only 0.015" thick. Since I don't load with a maximum loading potential, there should be enough room for 30gr by volume powder. I ordered some of those tubes and will give it a try.

During compression, the tube should break to allow no air space in the loading. If this works it will allow my thick thumb to make some paper cartridges. I'll report back what I learn.

BTW, shipping for these tubes is lower cost on this site:
http://www.buycannonfuse.com/Item/065-0024

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
If 30 grains would fit then you'll be set Richard.  Hopefully the tube will crush easy enough.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »
Hi, I received the paper tubes yesterday. They have a much thicker wall than what was described and can't be used for paper cartridges. My money was refunded and since I can't find anyone with thin walled paper tubing with correct dimensions, this paper tube cartridge project is dead.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
Shot Navy and Manhattan this morning. Found the loading procedure a bit dull, so finally got down to making paper cartridges. Made a conical brass cutting tool for the hole and a wooden mandrel to fit. Bee waxed the mandrel. Bought cigarette papers, and got going. Used contact glue (which I hope will burn). Will test shoot tomorrow. (Homage is due to some of the guys over at the Remi forum, who provided the knowledge)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
That outfit and carts look great, Len.  Nice work.  I use a water based paste on mine (Elmer's).  Sniffing chemmy glue never seemed like a good idea. 

Did you use a wad a filler, too?  Looking very good there.  Well done.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
That outfit and carts look great, Len.  Nice work.  I use a water based paste on mine (Elmer's).  Sniffing chemmy glue never seemed like a good idea. 

Did you use a wad a filler, too?  Looking very good there.  Well done.
Thanks G. I used corn meal as a filler and will lube the chambers after loading (mutton lard + bees wax). I'm on the road to going back to basics (after having gone the full lap), have been adding too much irrelevant additions to the sport.
As I only shoot originals, I see no point in finding the big load. Today's 15 grains loads penetrated 3" of pine board from 15 yrds.
As to the glue, after a lifetime of sniffing different glues, I am Chertain Ai Ave Naut Contracteed Aenny Baed Iffekts

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »
As to the glue, after a lifetime of sniffing different glues, I am Chertain Ai Ave Naut Contracteed Aenny Baed Iffekts

(7+"   Good one, Len.  That's first class funny.  Very good.   !!!
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 07:00:57 AM »
Shot the Navy with the paper cartridges today. Worked just fine, No miss-fires. No residual paper in the chambers. Easy loading.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »
"I am a klutz winding thin paper into paper cartridges"

Richard, I recently made some .44 caliber paper cartridges using fairly thick nitrated computer paper and they worked well. Ignition was instant and there was no detectable hang fire. There was some small bits of unburned paper where the glue contacted the paper. I only fired 6 shots so I don't know if this would hinder ignition of subsequent shots. However, this thick nitrated paper left a lot less unburned bits than when I made .36 caliber cartridges using non-nitrated cigarette paper.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
Mike's three photos above are great.  I'm using the second one for a screen saver, right now.

I'm going to get some perm-papers soon.  American Spirt cig paper is working well but something heavier sounds fun.  It's surprising how durable cig paper carts can be but the more durable the better.
                                                   --   Aristotle