Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Lazy version of lube pills  (Read 4254 times)

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
Lazy version of lube pills
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
If anyone is interested...

I started out putting crisco over the balls to seal the chambers and turning my dragoon into something with the handling qualities of a greased pig.  This was in the 70s and was what my dad taught me.  Then I read of lubed felt wads which made life better but took some work to make and you had to buy the felt.  Then, thanks again to the internet I learned about lube pills which worked even better than felt wads but require effort to make.  Lately instead of making lube pills I just pour the melted lube into a few empty percussion cap tins or other handy container.  To load I put in the powder, then use a knife to take smear a bit of lube in the chamber and seat a ball on top.  Same result, less work. 

The lube is beeswax/soy wax, olive oil and lanolin.  The proportions vary with the weather. 

Regards
GEC

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: Lazy version of lube pills
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »
I kind of do the same except I have about 40 4oz jelly jars full. I melted beeswax, paraffin, tallow, and some jojobo oil in a old crock pot and made up 4 dozen of them. Cut a little out with a knife and smear it on
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
I make smaller batches more often.  I wonder if someone has tried making softer version like a sort of past that you could push out of a squeeze bottle or a syringe.  Less waste.  I'm cheap as well as lazy ;)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:16:05 PM »
Hi Gary –    Crisco in the late 60’ and early 70’s, man that takes me back to the day.  We’re not the only ones who started out making a mess.  Some members here, when at a range, use a great big cake decorating syringe to dispense lube.

Jax  --  I understand that jojoba oil is chemically the closest thing to sperm whale oil which I think (tentatively and qualified) is what the old timers often used to lube the action parts and arbor. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:21:39 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:51 AM »
Basically jojoba oil is liquid wax
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
Hi Gary, you can buy lubed wads here for a good price, see:
http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7230243/7463802.htm

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!