Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Glad to be aboard! THANKS!!  (Read 2874 times)

Offline IronBeard

• View Profile
Glad to be aboard! THANKS!!
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
 &\?
Thanks for the invite and a chance to rub elbows with other Colt devotees....or is that addicts? Bought my first Colt, a 1911A1 Commander back in the mid 70's after joining the navy and ending up assigned as a Corpsman to Marines. Retired just before the Millennium. In 22 years served with every component of the Marine Corps except the guys in the rear with the gear! DOH!!

Recently inherited some unique colts from my FIL. A 1911"C", Civilian model, .45 mfg'd in 1915 and the cherry on top is a honest to goodness first gen 1873 Colt Single Action Cavalry revolver, mfg'd in 1874 and recently Kopec authenticated. It's been in our family for about 100 years and acquired by my DW's grandfather in the Oklahoma Indian Territory's from a U.S. Deputy Marshall. It's been passed down through my wife's family from FIL to SIL since then.

The interesting thing for you Peacemaker collectors out there.....all the serial numbers match! It was never re-arsenaled, and has "field" alterations that fit in with the strong possible history of being a battlefield take-away or liberated pistol. It is only four serial numbers away from a pistol back strap that was found on the Custer Battlefield in 1978.

There is no way to actually prove if this Colt was at the battle of the Little Big Horn. Not unless someone finds the old Army documents that shows who this weapon was a actually originally issued to. It definitely did serve on the frontier in the Indian Wars. If only this pistol could talk....what stories it might tell.

So now the addiction begins......

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Glad to be aboard! THANKS!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »
Welcome from Colorado.   Great story with that revolver.  Wouldn't mind pics of the 1911's too.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin. Very interesting gun you have there!

Offline IronBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »
I'll try to get you pic's Mike. The Commander I carried throughout my 22 years of service including Desert Shield and Storm. Much better personal protection than the 9mm Beretta issued at the time. Not to mention I was carrying some pretty hot loaded .45 acp's. My primary business was as a Doc....but if I had to pull out the .45 by God someone was going down and it wasn't going to be me. Dad's (FIL) 1911 C is in pristine condition.

BTW, I've seen your work here in the forum and on your website.....VERY NICE!! Great looking leather!! MUCHO impressed. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »
Welcome to our little slice of heaven, Ironbeard! Glad you joined us!
Love that '73 and the potential history lurking within! Of course, one photo ain't gonna cut it...but you knew that, right? (7+"
"Addicts" is more like it...I started out with only one Colt and somehow have a whole passel of 'em now...including a .380ACP which is like a Baby 1911. I would love to see some pix of your 1911 as well.
Make yourself at home. Mi casa es su casa.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline FLD

• Retirement suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 05:02:06 AM »
Hello and welcome from west Michigan!