Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Polish Cappers  (Read 8785 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Polish Cappers
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
I know what you're thinking but it's not a joke.

https://www.polishcappers.com/
https://www.facebook.com/polishcappers/

Has anyone seen or used one of these first hand?   They cost approximately $50 US.  Looks to be pretty well made and is designed to be used on Remington revolvers.   It requires a little file work on the end to use with Colt revolvers.   $50 is kinda steep for a capper but if it works on all revolvers I might consider it.   I use a TC snail capper modified to work on Remington revolvers but it's not a perfect solution.   This one looks promising.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Polish Cappers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
Never saw one. Would be curious to read some reviews.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »
This guy has been trying to sell them on several forums but AFAIK has been banned from all of them except TFL and maybe THR. I haven't been to THR in a long time.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:17:35 AM »
We'll see how it goes.   I ordered one a few minutes ago,  already he has replied and sent a photo of the package for address confirmation.   Says it will be mailed today and take 10 to 14 days to get here from Warsaw.   He's only charging about $1.50 for shipping so it's not going to get here fast.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »
We'll see how it goes.   I ordered one a few minutes ago,  already he has replied and sent a photo of the package for address confirmation.   Says it will be mailed today and take 10 to 14 days to get here from Warsaw.   He's only charging about $1.50 for shipping so it's not going to get here fast.

I ordered something that unbeknownst to me when I ordered it shipped from China. It made it to NY in 21 hours. Stayed in quarantine in NY for five days and then went around the country for a week. It made it to within 50 miles of me once and to Mobile twice and from Mobile to Atlanta and finally back to me. (??
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »
Yep,  same has happened to me.   I always check to see where things are originating now.  I try to order U.S. if possible.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
The Polish Capper arrived on Wednesday.  7 days for shipping from Europe isn't too bad.   
This is a well made piece of equipment.  I's all CNC machined brass with a plastic plunger that is 3D printed.   I tried it right away on all 4 of my 1858 models and it worked very well on all of them.   Yesterday I got out a file and reduced the size of the head a small amount until it would fit on Colt style cylinders.  It didn't take much work to get it fit the 1860 and 1851.   The only major drawback I found is that this thing can't be made to fit pocket size Colt models,  the head that applies the cap is just too big and thick.   
I ran about 50 caps through it and never had a problem, it fed a cap and applied it to the nipple every time.   Today I tried a bunch of different caps in it and the capper handled them all perfectly.   Then I filled the capper up until it wouldn't hold anymore.   160 #10 Remington caps was the limit.  Even with it stuffed full it fed the caps pretty well but it took a couple shakes to get the first 5 or 6 caps to feed.   Once there was more room for the caps to move inside the hopper they fed easily by tilting the capper down the back up again.   150 caps would be the best load for it even though more will fit.
I think the Polish Capper might turn out to be a good investment for me.  With hands like mine from woodworking and hand sewing leather I can barely hang on to a percussion cap and place it on a nipple.  I usually drop 3 of them before I get one in place.   This will hopefully eliminate that problem for me.

The cap tins in the photo are all the types I tried out.  I even had some pretty old ones to try.

[

Remington

Colt

The business end is heavy duty and won't bend or distort.

The Polish Capper is a little expensive but I don't think it's overpriced for what it is.   Ted Cash snail cappers are $27 and are stamped from brass sheet goods.  The Polish Capper is heavy machined brass and is priced at approximately $49,  a little less than double the price of a Cash capper.  Polish Capper holds 50% more caps than the Cash capper and both need to be modified to use them on both Remington and Colt revolvers.   
I haven't used one in the field yet so I may have to revise my opinion but right now I don't have any buyer's remorse.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:00:36 PM by mike116 »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:36 PM »
Very cool, Mike. What's "more cool" is your hands-on review and excellent close-up pix of the inside and out. Well done, sir! (7&

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »
Mike. thanks for that report!  L@.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the report mike. Over the past few months, I've watched the progress of these cappers being designed and finally finished on The Firing Line website. With your excellent post, I may look into getting one now.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »
BC,   I didn't know about the posting on The Firing Line forum.   I ran across Polish Cappers on a FaceBook page dealing with BP revolvers but there was little info.    No one here volunteered any info so I searched them out and ordered one to see for myself.  Glad it turned out I didn't waste $50.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »
Thanks Mike. I have been wanting to see how these things worked out. I will be ordering one real soon.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
Mike,

Here is the link on The Firing Line forum. You have to be a member to see this page. I often see Hawg and Fingers over there.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6474606#post6474606
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
I know this is an old thread, apologies for resurrecting it. But I didn't want to start a new one with basically the same information.

If you're contemplating purchasing a Polish Capper, I would say give it a try. I held off because of the $50 price tag, but now I'm glad I bought one. I've wasted at least that much on crappy inline and snail cappers that don't always work. And the little spring lips on those things are easily knocked out of adjustment, and the caps come flowing out. That's not going to happen with the Polish Capper.

Since Mike bought his, there's been a bit of re-engineering done. They modified the tip to fit both Colt's and Remingtons. It still won't work on the pocket models though.

It's a nicely made, high quality piece of equipment. And it works as advertised.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
Hmm...I always balked at the price, but may have to reconsider.