Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Glutton for punishment  (Read 15434 times)

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
Re: Glutton for punishment
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
Oh Richard,

They are a little more work,
but they really look neat.
I thought you were going to use BP,
dipping in Alox would be an easy way to go.
Very nice work there.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »
Hi Antique, thanks for the kind comment. I got to shoot the 50rds of the new Old West Bullet Moulds (OWBM) 125gr 38 Colt bullets with 2.1gr TrailBoss using Tuco (Pietta 1851 with Howell conversion cylinder) at steel targets 25yds away. These bullets were lubed by brushing on straight Lee Liquid Alox. A two hand hold produces groups ~2", a little better than the 148gr Magnus HBWC bullets that are internally lubricated. The revolver shot about one inch lower than when using the Magnus bullet in 38 Special brass. After the 50rds the gun felt a little greasy from the alox lube deposited on most of the revolver parts. Removing the barrel shows a very clean bore and forcing cone, no leading.

I have already come to the conclusion that the Magnus bullet in 38 Special brass is the better and less work path to metallic cartridges in the Howell conversion cylinder revolvers. I ordered another thousand Magnus bullets:
http://saas.shopsite.com/magnusbullets/store/page11.html

That's less expensive than the OWBM mold.

I loaded another 50rds of the 38 Colt using the OWBM 125gr bullets and will try dipping the bullet in mineral spirits/Lee Alox mixture.

Making and loading these heeled bullets has been a worthwhile experience, expensive, but still worthwhile. I think.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:58 AM »
Hi, I dip lubed the remaining 50 OWBM loaded bullets. A mixture of 50/50 Lee Liquid Alox/mineral spirits (paint thinner) was mixed in a small plastic bottle. A 2-liter soda bottle cap was filled with the lube mixture. I noticed that after dipping the first cartridge in the lube mix and inverting it to let it dry that lube flowed down the side of the brass. The remaining cartridges were dipped and then the point of the bullet touched to a paper towel. That removed the excess lube where the cartridge could be inverted without dribbling down the brass. What is interesting is that the surface tension at the lube groove holds the largest amount of the lube mixture, nice. I will let the lube bullets dry for 24 hours and then see how well they are lubed. Here are the lubed 38 Colt cartridges drying:

Regards,
Richard 
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
Hi, the dipped lube using a 50/50 Lee Liquid Alox/mineral spirits (paint thinner) worked out very well. The dried lube rounds feel like handling .22LR. There is one potential use for heeled based bullets in C&B used as conicals. The heel base drops right into cylinder chambers where the bullet is nicely aligned for loading. Another advantage is that a much longer bullet than could normally be loaded in the loading port is now possible, see:
https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/products/44-colt-210gr-heel-bullet-double-cavity-mould

No need to modify Pietta & Uberti loading port for loading conicals using heeled based bullets.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:09:43 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »

No need to modify Pietta & Uberti loading port for loading conicals using heeled based bullets.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, it's hard to believe that this comment didn't draw some comments. Everyone that took to their dremel to solve the problem of loading conicals needs to clean the earwax out of their ears. There is a better path, use heelbased bullets to load as conicals.

Is there anybody awake on this message board?  :'( :'( :'(

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
I'm awake...I just have not shot anything lately.  :-[

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »
Hi Sam, do you realize on how close we are to winter again? Get out there and make some smoke before it's too cold.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
It's raining here in Portageville. MO, right now.  K_)

My wipers on my green ford truck are not working.

And there is a nest in the inside the bed of my truck!!!!! It's a red wasp nest! If I get stung...I will be in BIG trouble!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »
Hi, I loaded up all of the previously cast OWBM 125gr .38 heeled bullets and needed to cast some more. I must say that one can really move along casting using the OWBM brass molds. A little over an hour produced this new crop of 383 heeled 125gr bullets:

Still need to inspect every bullet, but if it goes like before, there will be very few if any rejects.

Regards,
Richard

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Hi, it's hard to believe that this comment didn't draw some comments..

Regards,
Richard

I’ve never had any desire to modify the loading port area of my Colt or Remington Piettas.  I use a 190 grain Accurate Mold bullet bought from an acquaintance who owns that mold.  They work very well in paper carts or with just loose powder. 

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
Richard, I HAVE been following this thread for a while now, just never had much of anything to say. I have never tried loading conicals in my C&B revolvers. However, a couple of years ago I bought "ofitg"s  (remember Steve?
 He was a regular here) set-up for making heeled bullets. I got side-tracked and put the stuff up on a shelf. Now, I think I just may try his method, simple and inexpensive! Here is the mold I got from him:

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »
Steve got 2 cheap diagonal cutters from the Dollar Store or some such, then drilled a .354 hole in one for making the heel, and a .357 hole in the other for crimping the bullet in a case.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
So, for a little more than $20.00, he has a heeled bullet mold, sizer, and crimper. I just need to get busy (how many times have you heard that?!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
Hi mazo, that may seem low cost, but if you are into reloading enough for doing some shooting, the higher cost equipment makes some sense. This is another 150 lot of 38 Colt with 125gr heeled bullets with the lube drying:

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
Oh, I do understand the need for more productive reloading when you do a lot of shooting. This was just offered as a viable alternative for someone who is not doing a lot of shooting and doesn't want to invest in a lot of money for casual shooting. I have only loaded .358 HB wadcutters in quantity for my 36 C&B revolvers.
You do have a very nice set-up for reloading in quantity. I only wish I shot as much as you (well, maybe not quite as much!). I would need to order another case of BP!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:25:57 PM by mazo kid »