Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Manhattan Mould  (Read 6341 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Manhattan Mould
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:54:58 AM »
Does anybody have any experience casting with an original Manhattan mould?  Probably a long shot but just thought I'd ask.  If so, curious as to the diameter round ball and conical that it casts.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: Manhattan Mould
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:59:40 AM »
I got my hands on a .36 original Manhattan bullet mold, drops a conical and round ball.  The conical bullet shape looks very similar to the Colt Cartridge Works style, nice heel with a band on it.  Got a good deal on it and it's in pretty good shape, a small amount of pitting in the cavities but shouldn't have much affect.  The heel fits nicely in the chamber mouths on my Navy models, so I hope they'll work out well.  Conical weight is 124, round ball at 80. 

I was interested in one of the Era's Gone molds but I don't shoot a lot of conicals and I really like old molds, so for the novelty of it I like casting conicals from an original mold.   

A few pics with the mold, 6 cartridges I made, and some loose stuff.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:50:59 PM by 99whip »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »
Hi Whip, Neat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:19:45 AM »
Hey, Whip...how do you get the nice, flat ass-end on those paper carts?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »
Does anybody have any experience casting with an original Manhattan mould?  Probably a long shot but just thought I'd ask.  If so, curious as to the diameter round ball and conical that it casts.
However did you get hold of that original Manhattan .36 mold ???

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »
Capt,

Drill a hole through a scrap piece of wood, lay it on a flat surface.  I roll the tube on a dowel, add a little "cup" for the bottom, stick the whole thing into the drilled hole so that the "cup" contacts the flat surface underneath your wood block and twist the dowel a few times. 

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:37:38 AM »
However did you get hold of that original Manhattan .36 mold ???

Len, found it online on one of the auction sites.  I've seen 3 or 4 of them pop up over the last year or so, if you keep your eyes open you will run across one. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
Capt,

Drill a hole through a scrap piece of wood, lay it on a flat surface.  I roll the tube on a dowel, add a little "cup" for the bottom, stick the whole thing into the drilled hole so that the "cup" contacts the flat surface underneath your wood block and twist the dowel a few times. 

What a great idea! Love the look of those carts. What sort of glue do you use to glue the paper to the conical?

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
I can't take credit for the idea, I saw it in a video or read about it elsewhere. 

For glue small amounts of Elmer's.  I'd been using glue sticks, but I tried the Elmer's today on a whim, after a while the glue sticks sometimes lose some adhesion, I think the Elmer's  won't have that issue.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »
I can't take credit for the idea, I saw it in a video or read about it elsewhere. 

For glue small amounts of Elmer's.  I'd been using glue sticks, but I tried the Elmer's today on a whim, after a while the glue sticks sometimes lose some adhesion, I think the Elmer's  won't have that issue.
In my galaxy, far far away, we haven't heard of Elmer's.
What kind of glue is that? What does it say on the label?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:46 PM »

In my galaxy, far far away, we haven't heard of Elmer's.
What kind of glue is that? What does it say on the label?

It's a low-strength white glue, Len

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
Capt,

I've been making them this way for a long time.   I'm sure it's been posted before.   I think Washbuster does it this way also.

Omnivore on this forum and the Remmy forum sent me the mandrel for rolling the cartridges.  I made the block with a tapered drill bit and a little bit of hand sanding.

Good for you 99whip for using that original mold.   It's always enjoyable to use the antiques for what they were intended.   Good job on the cartridges.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:58 AM »
Thanks fellas, I went ahead and made a five shot Manhattan Cartridge Box and filled it with a few cartridges.  Pics below.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »
Looks great!!!!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
Mazo, who is an a-mazo-ing guy, fixed me up with an original Manhattan mold a while back. So I cast both balls and bullets for the orig .36

Bullets did fit just fine, but the balls were too big, couldn't or rather didn't dare to use that excessive force on the lever to get them seated. So my deduction is, that back in the days, they preferred to cast balls and that's why the ball recess is far more worn out than the bullet cavity.