Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Searching for S&G  (Read 7509 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Re: Searching for S&G
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Ya cheap ha . Taylors for $100 ,Cabelas has them for Pietta at $50 plus ship and tax .
My choice is clear.
I just ordered it from Cabelas, found out Holiday promo shipping is free on any amount, so saved another $9.
Merry Christmas.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:11:11 AM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 12:09:26 PM »
Ya cheap ha . Taylors for $100 ,Cabelas has them for Pietta at $50 plus ship and tax .
My choice is clear.
I just ordered it from Cabelas, found out Holiday promo shipping is free on any amount, so saved another $9.
Merry Christmas.

When I looked them up on Cabela's site, the pic was a .44 plain rebated cylinder. The reviews seem to agree that it is the wrong pic for the description, so I hope you get a plain .36 cylinder with no problems.

I bought a barely used one from a member on one of these BP forums (can't remember which one) for $20, but it has no safety pins even though he sent in a Pietta box with the part number A344, the same part number VTI lists for this cylinder. I am thinking my retired machinist neighbor might be able to cut 6 additional stop slots so I can create a Rigdon & Ansley. I would be satisfied even if he cannot do the approaches. Maybe just a pipe dream for me. I have to wait for him to have mid-winter business slow down as he is always busy repairing tractors and implements out here in the boontoolies. His shop has 3-phase power and I cannot identify even half of the machine tools he has.

Good luck and Merry Christmas, Hewy!

Jim
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:11:42 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
 I had same reaction to picture of the rebatted cylinder on the site as you  as well as reviews. I called customer service they assured me it will be correct .36 cylinder , if not I'll send it back.
Hewy

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
Well UPS dropped a vary large box marked Cabelas, inside is the small Pietta clear plastic display type box
protected for shipping by one of those square chain air bag packing things. Yep one. As a result the little box containing the Pietta cylinder must if had a real joy ride bouncing around in there.
The cylinder is OK further protected with it's own envelope floating in Italian lubricating fluid.
I felt like I was a mid wife helping to give birth to the creature.
Out pops an 1851 Navy .36 black powder cylinder...........right one ? Nope it has the famous ship battle scene
beautifully engraved. Just what I didn't want.
Of course I wanted a blank one in order to replicate the S&G.
So I get to use Cabelas enclosed return label and $7.40 will be deducted frome my refund. I just can't abide sending it back in the big box .
With a note and picture of their internet ad, I demand full refund as it is their ...... "Not as described" ......fault.
Hewy

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
Hewy, sorry to hear that the Grinch stole Christmas, so to speak. There has been a big change in the Cabela's organization since the affiliation with BPS, it seems.

I have always been leery of buying pistol parts from Cabela's because I don't think many of their employees are knowledgeable about this. I have purchased online 3 complete Pietta revolvers in 4 years from them with no complaints.

I have a spare plain .36 Navy cylinder that I was planning to use for a Rigdon & Ansley 12-stop-slot cylinder but it has no safety pins. Unless you go to VTI or Taylor's and pay their prices, you might look around on the various forums with a WTB post, but I see you have done that, sir.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:44:07 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »
I have purchased several complete bp guns from Cabelas over a few years and always had good
sevice and never had a reject, this is the first item gone wrong.
Their ad description is incorrect and told customer service person about it. The first change I noticed was,
sales tax. Generally Calif did not require out of state purchases too be taxed without a related company here.
Yep Bass Pro is here , Cabelas is owned by them, so all my purchases just jumped 9 percent.
I have been to the BS here ,great place to visit, but zip when it comes to our hobby supplies.
Hewy