Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ballistol and brass  (Read 4273 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Ballistol and brass
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »
Hi, I keep my revolvers in gun muffs stored in my gun safe. Before storage I juice up the revolver with Ballistol. I have noticed that the brass on the stored revolvers is getting dulled. The dulling is superficial, but it looks ugly on the revolver brass. I speculate that the Ballistol that can remove copper from bores is the culprit, eats the brass. Because of this problem I may use WD40 to surface protect my revolvers when stored in the future.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistol and brass
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
I doubt the Ballistol is making it dull. Brass dulls naturally unless it's been coated. If you want shiny brass keep it polished.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
Maybe for a display gun I would keep the brass polished. Anything else I just let the brass naturally dull.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
Maybe for a display gun I would keep the brass polished. Anything else I just let the brass naturally dull.

I prefer a nice mellow tone instead of the garishness of polish.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:53:55 AM »
Hi Hawg, I have confirmed that Ballistol dulls the brass after a Brasso high polish. I agree that a dull brass finish has merit.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »
Richard, I use Flitz on my brass. Supposedly it has an anti-oxidant that works up to 6 months from application. I wipe my revolvers with RemOil after handling.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Richard, I use Flitz on my brass. Supposedly it has an anti-oxidant that works up to 6 months from application. I wipe my revolvers with RemOil after handling.

I obtained a used stainless steel cylinder for my Ruger Old Army that was heavily frosted from use and a poor cleaning technique. Flitz and a little elbow grease made it look like brand new!
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
Hi Hawg, I have confirmed that Ballistol dulls the brass after a Brasso high polish. I agree that a dull brass finish has merit.

Regards,
Richard

Cool. If I could stand the smell I might use some for that.