Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New to me Uberti 1860 fluted  (Read 9947 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
Re: New to me Uberti 1860 fluted
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
wow!!! looks nice!!!

i should have kept that gun... and the pocket police, and the uberi walker, and the 7" stainless fixed sites ROA and the....
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 06:27:17 AM »
Ya you should have kept them Bruce, you like me buy something sell it then.
Then you could .........   K.I. T. A.   ::)
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
Hi Hewy, I would never sell any of my 43 BP handguns. Each of my handguns have a unique character. It would be like selling my children. You and Bruce are like cats on a hot tin roof when it comes to gun ownership. I don't understand your desire to buy high and sell low. Please help me understand.  ??? ??? ???

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
oh, i almost never lose money on a gun i sell...

paid 650 for my stainless fixed sites roa with a conversion cylinder, sold just the gun for $780 plus $50 for shipping...

i paid 100 for an iver johnson second model 38, sold it for $225, paid $110 for an identical gun with a 5" barrel, sold it for $350

bought my first walker for $160, sold it for $300, bought my current walker for $160, blew the cylinder, got a replacement for $20, a spare barrel for $45 which i chopped off to to 2 1/2" and the conversion cylinder for $200.

i paid $36 for my 3rd model smith and wesson lemon squeezer .38 ($20 start bid, $16 in shipping), its not for sale, but i guess i would get around $300 for it...

i paid 200 for the ASM C&B SAA i bought from brush hippie, sold it for 335, which ironically was $35 OVER the buy it now price on gunbroker plus $25 in shipping!!! (i offered free shipping with buy it now) lol, i sold the spare cylinder for it on ebay for $120

i paid $350 for the pietta C&B SAA i had, sold it for $375 with $25 shipping

those 5 guns i just bought from tom, i bought all those just for the iver johnson .22 which i ordered parts for today and the 38 H&R which i just got done fixing and fitting a 32long cylinder and barrel to so i now have a gun that will fire both 38S&W, 32S&W and 32S&W long just by switching the barrels and cylinders (look for pics soon)... it shoots GREAT!!! i fixed the hammerless H&R 32 already and sold it for $225 with $25 for shipping, i already have one of them and didnt need another one...

the only guns i have really lost money on were the two 5.5" pietta 58's i had, one i got from hewy with a pair of spare cylinders and pouches and the one i got from tom... but i sold them and the all the cylinders to pay for the stainless uberti 58's i have now with the conversion cylinders and since i got them "scratch and dent" at taylors open house, but they only cost me $30 more than i sold the others for which was only $10 less than i had into them... i plan on selling off the stainless C&B cylinders and the stainless taylors cylinders to help pay for gated kirst cylinders and ejectors before christmas...

heck, my first C&B gun was a traditions/pietta brasser buffalo, i paid $220 for it on sale at bass pro and sold it for $220 after i coined the frame and shot it loose with hot loads...

i once bought a stainless beretta 92fs at a gun show for $100 because the guy said it would not fire, i found the firing pin was missing and ordered one from ebay, i sold the gun a month later for $650!!! i also bought a eig 38 derringer from him for $75 which i sold to my dad for $150 and bought it back from him a year later for $75! and the third gun i bought from the guy was an iver johnson hammerless first model which i sold for $100 (this was many many years ago)

between my pair of 12" 58's i only have $210... one i paid 200 for, the other i traded off about a dozen hemingray 42 insulators plus $10 at an antique shop. the owner said he had that gun for years and nobody wanted it and he could make the money selling the insulators, which he did, he only got $5 a piece for them!!! i might have paid a buck a piece for them when i was a kid... mom and dad likely paid for them in reality...

those 2 brasser 44's i sold a few years back (the 1851 and the 1860) i traded a law rocket tube for them that i boguth at a pawn shop for $75 i sold them both for $300 for the pair

i paid 1200 for that big collection i bought a few months ago, i got $1800 for all of them, i should have got much more but people got good deals on what they bought from me... if they would have gone on gunbroker i would have doubled my money and then some

finally, i sold the fluted 1860 for, well you know, i traded my 36 pocket police (from the above collection) for that gun and the guy gave me a $120 "US" stamped leather bag i use for empty brass at the SASS shoots, he also donated another one of those bags to my SASS club to give away at the WV showdown last weekend, i'd say i did well on that deal as did the buyer, right Richard? lol

so yeah, i dont lose money on gun sales... :)

guns i sell to the forum members i try to give a good deal on, but guns on GB or AA go for what they are worth and more sometimes lol...

also, i dont buy from members on the forums then resell the guns for more than i paid for them on the forums unless i needed to fix them up and then i dont like doing it...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:48:03 PM by BOOMSTICK BRUCE »
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »
I miss every gun I ever sold, even when at a very handsome profit.  The only ‘deals’ I don’t regret are when I made a gift of one.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
Well most the guns I have bought and sold some  here, came from Cabelas.
Reselling is hard to compete with them, however most all the sales I make in other places I have made a few $
Averaging over many pretty much broke even. Like Bruce, I give a break to members of this forum.
However , I have stated before .NO MORE .So far GDog ,haven't missed any that are gone.  I do have what I want now.
No more buying other than a few Conversion Cylinders that I class as accessores.

In a way, conversions are like getting another gun, Black Powder or Cartridge one platform.
My centerfire modern pistols all are keepers. Did sell a few at a profit.
So Richard, business runs on cash flow, that's what I have done. Add to the mix, trucks and mototcyles,
that's another story. Did very well on all, over the years...now that's a hobby that pays due to extreme price inflation.

Guns are a hobby enjoy.  ($! Keeps the cats jumping!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:09:25 PM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »
Shot the fluted for the first time today!  It had been the subject of some of the tinkering I'd posted over in the gunsmithing folder, arbor length, wedge set screw, facing the barrel, and other.

Even with less than .002" cylinder clearance soft lube is no match for escaping gasses.

I've went to beeswax and olive oil for warm weather shooting but still use shortening sometimes in part because the wife had an entire tin of the stuff she said had "expired".

25 gr Old Eyn Fffg, bit of cornmeal, Hornady .454, and Rem 11s.
In the spirit of go big or go home I started at 50 yards.

First two cylinders:

One missed, but may have a shooter.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »
The tight cyl clearance gave no trouble.  I shot 48 roumds without binding.  Full disclosure, it was raining so humidity may have helped keep fouling soft.  I do wonder if the fluting helps by presenting less surface area for fouling to be stuck on.  Of course flutes give the cool factor of being able to see inside the bore.

Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
Nice job Dave!!
  It's not the fouling on the face of the cylinder, but the fouling that gets between the cylinder and the arbor that presents the binding problem.  I've always liked the full fluted cyls .  .  .  . in anything!! Had the chance for a Dragoon with such a cylinder, my my .  .  .  .   cool times a hundred!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
I like it but lawd almighty this thing shoots high!  It was at least a foot high at 50 yd.  I plinked a few rounds at 100 and it hit high even there.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 07:01:36 AM »
Hi Dave, that's some pretty good shooting @50yds! So when are you going to put a taller front sight on your revolver. Seeing it also shoot left, you may want to consider putting a taller dovetail sight on?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »
It actually shoots to the right.  Tinypic rotated the pic 90° for some unknown reason.  You can see trees in the distance. ;)

Taller sight may be in the works, but I want to keep the same profile and general appearance, just taller.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
Does Tinypic allow you to rotate pics in your album? Flickr does, but you have to figure out their icons...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »
Hi Dave – That’s a well done shooting report and good pics too, even the sideways one.  High at 100 yards is a little surprising.  It must be really high.

I’ve admired your ’60 for about six months now; good looking gun.  Full fluted 1860 Colts are an admirable thing.   

Good shooting.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle