Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Accidental Schneider and Glassick  (Read 8722 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Accidental Schneider and Glassick
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
On GB for auction at a fairly low price (so far). I bid on it in $2 increments starting at $28 and the price shot up to $70 a few minutes after that, so a couple of folks are watching this one.

It is marked EIG Navy on the barrel and has some bolt/timing issues. It might interest any of you EIG/early repro collectors. I am interested but only so far. I have a Pietta S&G already, so bid on it if you all wish and it won't hurt my feelings a bit.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747355757

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
Re: Accidental Schneider and Glassick
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:41 AM »
If I may add my two cents, this one was proofed in 1964, which makes it a highly collectable one. EIG Navies were not the highest ranked replicas, but in retrospect they appear to have lasted longer than one might have thought. Furthermore, in the 9 years of making, only  a little more than 46,000 were made.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »
If I may add my two cents, this one was proofed in 1964, which makes it a highly collectable one. EIG Navies were not the highest ranked replicas, but in retrospect they appear to have lasted longer than one might have thought. Furthermore, in the 9 years of making, only  a little more than 46,000 were made.

I saw the XX date code on the lower barrel lug. Reply from the seller states the only other letters are the "PN" on the underside of the frame which is, of course, one of the proof marks.

I was under the impression that Saul Eig was an importer (like Navy Arms, Replica Arms, etc.) in Florida and not a manufacturer. I thought EIG guns were produced by smaller Italian manufacturers and stamped EIG by Saul before he distributed/sold them.

Is that the same in Europe?

Regards,

Jim

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
You are perfectly right, Sourdough. EIG Navies were built by Luciano Giacosa, a small Italian manufacturer. They bear his logo usually on their butt, usually besides Eig's logo. The stamp may be partially erased but it should still be there.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »
Most of the EIG guns I've seen were fairly low on the totem pole regarding fit, finish and quality. I'm surprised to hear they may hold a higher value...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
Most of the EIG guns I've seen were fairly low on the totem pole regarding fit, finish and quality. I'm surprised to hear they may hold a higher value...

Yeah they rank right up there with PR. I don't see them being worth any more than a PR which isn't much.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
My very first cap and ball revolver was just like the one in the gunbroker link. It may well have been an EIG. I bought in 1969.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »

Yeah they rank right up there with PR. I don't see them being worth any more than a PR which isn't much.

Ringo is in France so they may have a different take on value and quality since they can't get many of the guns available in the US without very much difficulty. He is also speaking of collectability within manufacturer/importer/distributor, which may be much different there than here.

If you are at all interested, he is a moderator on a French site  http://repliquesoldwest.superforum.fr/forum.

It might open your eyes a bit.

Jim

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 12:27:17 AM »
PR was another Italian maker who supplied replicas to FIE after GLB's demise. If you own revolvers made by both and compare them, you will see that PR's were not as well made as GLB's. Of course, GLB was not Uberti or GDG, but he made fine reliable replicas within his part of the market: cheap brass framed replicas. He made plain or engraved revolvers. The engravings were hand made and tasteful.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »

If you are at all interested, he is a moderator on a French site  http://repliquesoldwest.superforum.fr/forum.

That is an interesting site.  There is a copy of the late Smoking Gun’s engraved Santa Barbara Remington posted there.  The one with the Mojave Desert reflected on the cylinder.  Remington forum folks will recognize it as the former banner.  That pistol has gotten around.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
Remember it well. Wonder where his guns got off to. He had an original Remington too, If my memory serves it was a navy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
I saved these good pics of ol’ Gun’s set-up.  The one at lower left is his original.  Upper left may be an original too but I’m not certain of that.  He had at least one son so maybe the collection is in worthy hands.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
I'm thinking the upper left may be his defarbed ASM. He had one that was all rusty. That may be it all cleaned up on the lower left.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
If anyone is interested in one, I found this one on GB today. EIG imported (no manufacturer logo shown: it may be a PR or GLB), datecode XXIV/1968. Screw slots very good, nipples good, looks like in fired condition with little/no cleaning, needs some TLC. Penny auction, 12 days left.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880626454

Regards,

Jim