Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Navy vs. SAA  (Read 3583 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
1851 Navy vs. SAA
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
I went to the range today, shot a Uberti Flattop Target SAA in .44-40 with 7 1/2" barrel and a Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 Navy .36 caliber. I used moderate loads in the Flattop with a 200 grain bullet lubed with beeswax/lamb tallow and about 27 grains of Goex 2F plus a small amount of filler. In the 1851 Navy I used about 20 grains of Goex 3F and a .375 roundball, no filler, no lube.

The point of this post is to contrast what it's like to shoot a black powder cartridge revolver compared to a black powder cap n' ball revolver. The Flattop was fairly mild but in comparision the Navy was super, super mild.  Even though 20 grains is kind of a stout load for the Navy, or if not stout, I don't think it would be considered a light load. The Navy is just way easier to control. I tend to think this is why Wild Bill Hickok kept his pair of '51's well into the cartridge era. I could see someone becoming so familiar with the '51 that they don't want to change, even if more technologically advanced cartridge guns are readily available.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Navy vs. SAA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
LP, 20 grains is far from a max load on a Navy with .375RB. I have shot nearly 30 gr by not using a wad, but found it to be a waste of time and powder. My Navy prefers 18gr and is mild as a lamb with that load, plus darn accurate as well. I suspect you are right on with your Wild Bill remarks; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 06:56:43 PM »

The Navy is just way easier to control. I tend to think this is why Wild Bill Hickok kept his pair of '51's well into the cartridge era.

When my boys were coming up and learning to shoot they had an array of pistols to practice with but each mastered the '51 quicker and easier than any other handgun.  That mod was their favorite and first choice.  They have their own 1851’s now and can really use them.

There is something spooky 'natural' about shooting those things.  A ‘51 Navy is a one of a kind handgun. 

I think Hickok had a lot of confidence in shot placement and with his skill  a .36 was plenty of power.  We've kept our Navies "well into the cartridge area" too.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:42 PM »
To me 20 grains is a weak load. 25 is much better.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline rdstrain49

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
If you really want to experience the SAA, duplicate the original load.  Back in the day the 45 Colt loaded with a full load of 3f powder was so heavy the Army changed the load to 2f powder.  Apparently the troopers back then were sensitive types.  Having shot more than my share of the 3f loads, I can tell you for sure and for certain, the 45 Colt thus loaded is no joke.

That being said, any 36 cal. revolver loaded with a full cylinder of 3f and a lead ball is not something I'd care to be on the wrong side of, and I've been on the wrong side of a wide variety of weapons.

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »
Along that line of thinking, I've heard it said that modern day .45LC is much more similar to .45 Schofield than the original .45 Colt load.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
I definitely wasn't saying the .36 Navy is weak. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the .36. It's almost like the perfect combination of power plus ease of shooting. The load I described, 20 grains 3F + .375 round ball is not light in my opinion but it could be made considerably more powerful with 25 grains 3F and a .380 roundball.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
I definitely wasn't saying the .36 Navy is weak. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the .36. It's almost like the perfect combination of power plus ease of shooting. The load I described, 20 grains 3F + .375 round ball is not light in my opinion but it could be made considerably more powerful with 25 grains 3F and a .380 roundball.

No, you didn't say that. I said to me 20 grains is a weak load.  I won't go less than 25 in a steel frame and I won't go more than 15 in a brass one. Needless to say I don't shoot brass frames very often  (7+". Those loads aren't just weak they're puny.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.