Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: So - the original type reproduction Colt Molds are Just Pretty Paperweights?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Col. Colt

• View Profile
Greetings All!  I am new here, and to blackpowder shooting - but not new at all to shooting itself, as a Firearms Instructor and Armorer of thirty years experience. 

My newbie question is this - I can see how much easier it is to buy a box of round balls than to buy all the equipment and cast those, but I want to try to do it "like THEY Did, back in the Day".  But from what I see, the copies of the original molds are not much used (too small diameter and difficult to handle?)  So, what's a historical purist to do??

I have a Colt 2nd Generation 1861 Navy that came in a case with Third Generation Tools, A Colt Blackpowder Third Generation Walker that came in the case with Third Generation Tools, and a Uberti Walker with another Set of Third Generation Tools I picked up before I ran across the Colt.  And I have an older Uberti 1860 Army, and an ORIGINAL 1860 Army "44H" Mold I got online. 

So, has anyone here even tried to use these reproduction molds "in the old fashion"?  I don't see any comments to that effect in my limited searches.

Also, I am told that the Walker molds produce an "incorrect" Picket bullet of about 170 grains.  (The Contract Specification was for so many to a pound of lead, which would not be correct at 170 grains.)  Has anyone ever measured a REAL Walker Mold to know if the reproduction mold is right or wrong?  Just because it was spec'd, doesn't mean it ended up that way.  I would think the reproduction companies would have just copied an ORIGINAL - rather than faking something up - or did they?? 
Thanks,
Col. Colt

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Plenty of our members use the original style moulds, one example being Scooby, who also likes to use the original metallic cartridge tools. I prefer modern moulds such as the Lyman or Lee for RB or conical simply because it's easier and faster...but not neccessarily "better". Casting is but one of the enjoyable spin-off tasks of black powder shooting.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
You are correct that reproduction molds usually drop smaller than required balls and conicals.   I have a couple repro molds that I use even though they are a little small.  I make sure I'm using a good wad when shooting these projectiles.   I haven't done it yet but some say "beagling" the mold to a larger size can work.    You cast a ball from the mold,  mount the ball on a wood screw or stud and then lap the mold with grinding compound.   Then cast another ball and repeat the process until you are dropping a ball the diameter you desire.   It will also work with the conical bullets.   

As Captain kirk says Scooby is the most experienced member in using original and reproduction molds.   Mazo Kid also has used many original and reproduction molds.   Maybe they will have more to add.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Col.

Welcome,

I enjoy using original moulds to cast, and I cast round ball and conicals with them.  In my experience, the original moulds do cast a little larger projectile as a few others have also indicated.  But to be honest, I really do it because I enjoy knowing that some guy sat around 150 + years ago that really depended on that mould. 

Scooby and Mazo will have input to provide also. 

Whip

Offline Len

• View Profile
Samuel,
(talking round balls here)
I just got an original Manhattan Navy mold (thanks to Mazo Kid). It casts a bit to big, but I roll them in a linear fashion between two slabs of iron, to get something like an American football football. Works just fine (the bullets from the same mold pliers are just fine).
With other molds that cast too small, I put a ball mill in the Dremel and enlarge the mold diameter gradually. It won't cast perfectly spherical balls, but close enough. I then roll them between slabs, but now with a circular movement. Works just fine.
And after all, what you put into the forcing cone and through the barrel, comes out as something completely different.
As stated by other addicts above, doing some casting by the camp fire, has it's own charm.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
I heard my name mentioned so thought I should step in and defend myself L@J Actually, most of the original molds I use are bullet molds. Primarily Winchester molds, and they were designed to be correct for the guns that shot them. I load them using the matching Winchester tong tool. The other tong tools I use are the old Ideal tong tools, and some have the bullet mold incorporated into their design. These are also correct size to use in their caliber rifle/handgun.  So you see, these are not the original molds made to be included in cased sets. Yes, the repro molds in that design seem to all cast under-sized balls. You could do as Mike suggested and coat a ball(s) cast from the mold with abrasive paste, insert a screw or stud and spin them with an electric drill. Repeat the process until you come up with the size you want. Another trick is to put a strip of furnace tape on the inside face of the mold. They might not be round, but as Len says, they will be after running through the forcing cone.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
I am not up on original and repro original molds. As much as I love to cast RB and bullets I mainly use Lee, Lyman and RCBS as well as a couple of custom molds.

Casting to me is one of the ultimate exercises in relaxation!
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!