Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show & Tell - Colt Frontier Scout + a pair of Uberti's  (Read 3109 times)

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
Show & Tell - Colt Frontier Scout + a pair of Uberti's
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
Just showing off some more of my guns.

Picked up this Colt Frontier Scout from Gunbroker back in 2015. According to the auction it's from 1958. I haven't confirmed that. At the time I was looking to buy a single action 22LR. Either a Ruger Single Six, Bear Cat, or one those cheap Heritage Rough Rider revolvers. Seemed like every tiny little gun shop I walked into had a Rough Rider for sale.

I already have a S&W M17 22LR revolver and wanted a single action to go with it. I find I enjoy putting a large handful of 22LR in my shirt pocket and plinking at targets of opportunity around my land. Far easier to load a revolver than mess with magazines. The finish on this Frontier Scout is worn but it still has the 4 click hammer and is fun, lightweight, little shooter. This one only has the 22LR cylinder, some come with a spare 22 mag cylinder.

I believe this was Colt's not so successful attempt to compete with Ruger.

I gave $276 + transfer for it. These are pictures from the auction. The finish in real life is black / missing vs the purple Ruger hue shown:

Next up is my 1st Uberti 1873 Hombre. Back in 2012 a seller on gunbroker had these brand new for a fixed, buy it now, price of $250. He had a bunch of them in 357 magnum and 45 Colt. Other than seeing these in the Cabela's / Bass Pro catalogs and thinking they were overpriced for such an ugly finished gun, I didn't know much about them. I bought this on a whim.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should've bought 2 in each caliber. $250 was steal of deal. I read later that CAS clubs were buying these using them as loners for new shooters to the sport. It's another one of my favorite guns and I'll frequently wear it around my property. Can't say that I've ever shot it on paper, mostly use 38 special in it against my steel gong.

My most recent purchase, as of just a couple weeks ago, is another 357mag Uberti, an El Patron Competition. I've been wanting another 357 Uberti with the goal of shooting Cowboy Action some day. The dealer that has the current low prices on the Uberti Walkers also has 45 Colt El Patrons at a reasonable price that I've been real tempted by.

I figured I'd just tale a peek at the rest of the El Patron's on gunbroker and found this $200 "bump and dent" special. Has some holster wear plus is missing it's ejector housing, ejector rod, spring, and screw. Looking at Taylor's - that about $75 worth of parts. Googling around it seem the ejector rod housing screw is known to break on these. I believe Brownell's sells a hardened screw. I image, that's what happened to this one and the owner pawned it. Should be an easy fix.

Pics are from the auction and the gun is currently sitting at my dealer. I'm not sure if this has 4 hammer clicks or 3 but for $200, I couldn't pass it. Serial # is UB4XX4. 

Feel free to show off any of your guns.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:43:28 AM by drobs »
NRA Life Member

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: Show & Tell - Colt Frontier Scout + a pair of Uberti's
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »
Nice. I had an Uberti Hombre. Not bad, but not up to the level of my Large-frame Vaquero, or my wife's  Flattop Blackhawk, and these days they aren't all that much cheaper. Heck the new Hombre's are listing at $400-$500, and I can get a Vaquero for that, if I look around. I sold my Hombre to my boss. I had a Heritage Rough Rider. Mine might have been a fluke, but I bet not. It had a trigger that was rough as a cob and creepy as all get out. I sold it in short order and won't buy another, no matter the price.

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
I had a real nice blued heavy frame 45 Colt Ruger Vaquero Bisley 15 or more years ago. Had it a for awhile and traded it off. I wasn't into western guns or BP then. I've looked at replacing it and it seems everything Ruger has gone up in value. They make nice guns but I don't want to give what they are asking.

I'd like to get one of the new Redhawk 45 Colt / 45 acp revolvers and possible a Match Champion but it's not a rush and I'm hoping find a deal on used ones. Back in the early 00's I had S&W 25-5 in 45 Colt that I sold to friend to fund an Uzi right around the time the AW Ban ended. That S&W is another gun that shot up in value right after I sold mine.
NRA Life Member

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
Nice guns. I have a .22 caliber Colt New Frontier with the extra .22 mag cylinder. They are super fun. I almost bought a Uberti Hombre .45 a couple months ago because a local gun shop had one for $249. They said it was brand new, I think somebody must have put the wrong price on it. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I was already saving for something else.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
I had a real nice blued heavy frame 45 Colt Ruger Vaquero Bisley 15 or more years ago. Had it a for awhile and traded it off. I wasn't into western guns or BP then. I've looked at replacing it and it seems everything Ruger has gone up in value. They make nice guns but I don't want to give what they are asking.

I'd like to get one of the new Redhawk 45 Colt / 45 acp revolvers and possible a Match Champion but it's not a rush and I'm hoping find a deal on used ones. Back in the early 00's I had S&W 25-5 in 45 Colt that I sold to friend to fund an Uzi right around the time the AW Ban ended. That S&W is another gun that shot up in value right after I sold mine.

Got one. You can see it in the 2nd pic in this thread...

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2913.0.html

Stainless, 3rd from top.

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:35:43 AM »
Nice Frontier, both cylinders.............................Jim

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »
Nice looking guns.

I see a 45 Colt SAA clone or 2 in my future.
NRA Life Member

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 06:14:57 PM »
Going back to the $200 Uberti missing it's ejector rod / housing assembly.
Have been looking for the parts for the past 6 months with no luck at any of the parts houses (VTI, EMF, Brownells. gunparts, etc.).
Looked on ebay the other day and there they are. 

$58 for the housing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323700167493

$42 for the spring and ejector rod:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223400572224

It's almost like the ebay seller owned my gun and pulled the parts off it to sell on ebay...

I guess we'll call it the $300 Uberti - which is still a decent deal.

Of course I had to grab another holster. Went with Galco 1880's holster:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Galco-Model-s-Holster-Left-Hand/708020.uts?slotId=45

It's nice a holster. Doesn't squeak like the holster I have for the Hombre seen above.

Should have some more pics of the gun completed in April.
NRA Life Member