Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A case for the lever action  (Read 3916 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
A case for the lever action
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Hi, a case for the lever action:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: A case for the lever action
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
Nice vid, Richard!
Nothing new to me, but great just the same!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
It's never a waste of time to watch one of Mike's videos.    I was surprised to see a Savage lever action rifle in the video.   Mike didn't  mention that the Savage 99 is capable of firing pointed (spitzer) bullets whereas most other lever guns must use flat point bullets due to the tubular magazine.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
  It's really impressive seeing how fast the top notch CASS shooters can work a lever action.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »
 (7&  Everything old is new again.... I remember articles by Skeeter Skelton,Bill Jordon ,Mike Venterino. and Massad Ayoob extolling the lever action for self defence,espeicially in pistol calibers,

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
  It's really impressive seeing how fast the top notch CASS shooters can work a lever action.

Short stroke kits and really wussy loads help them a lot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
Hi, in my front closet I have a Mini-14, Ruger 10-22, 12ga 500 with short barrel and buckshot, and an M1 Carbine for house protection. However, since the NY Safe act had me dispose of my 15 and 30 round M1 magazines, the M1 has been unreliable with 10rd replacement magazines. I can't seem to get those new M1 magazines to behave, they are very unreliable. Since the M1 is pretty valuable, it will go into the gun safe and be replace with a reliable Winchester .44 Mag 94 Trapper as one of the house guns.

IMO old is sometimes better than new. While I still shoot 1911s pretty well, it can't compete in accuracy with my converted 38 Special 1851 that is shot almost daily. With the lower recoil of the 38 Special the 1851 can be accurately shot faster than the 1911s.

Beware the man with only one gun that is regularly used?

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:17:15 PM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
I have always had a liking of the lever gun. My first one was my dad's pre-64 Winchester 94 in 32 Spl. Over the years I have bought and sold a few, but still have some. In fact, I just got a new Rossi '92 in 38/357 yesterday. Haven't even cleaned it up yet. Will load up a bunch of ammo and hopefully get some shooting in over the weekend.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »
I have a Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington that I just love.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
I have a Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington that I just love.

I almost bought a SS 336 in 35 Remington but couldn't get past the synthetic stock. I have a 94 Winchester 30-30, a 92 Rossi 44-40, a Henry Golden Boy .22 and an original 1887 Winchester 12 gauge.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 11:02:48 AM »
I turned down a '94 Win. 30-30 so my friend could have it. There is always a twinge of remorse when selling guns, but I sold my Marlin '99, Golden 22, and a short barreled, button Mag '93. Among my new-ish lever guns are 3 '92 Rossi (44-40, 45 Colt, 38-357) guns and an Uberti '73, also in 45 Colt. And....no shooting for a few days as we have a low pressure front setting in with rain again.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
Hi, I have always been a fan for using reduced power springs in my BP revolvers. I was looking at my three Winchester 94 Trapers and wondered if there were reduced power springs available for the 94. Checking on the Wolff Springs site, they do:

https://www.gunsprings.com/WINCHESTER/94/cID2/mID120/dID334

The standard hammer spring for the 94 is 18lbs. I ordered the two pack of 13lb springs. After the springs arrived, one was installed in the Winchester 94 .45 Colt. I must report that the benefit is very apparent. Smooth easy lever operation and reduced trigger pull.

The first nice day I will test shoot this modified rifle.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 12:11:23 PM »
That's a nice collection of Trappers Richard!!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
Those are very nice! When I think of the lever guns I have sold......but I didn't have time to shoot then all.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »
Hi, I shot the Winchester 94ae .45 Colt trapper rifle with the 13lb Wolff reduced power spring today. The action is as slick as goose grease and the trigger pull excellent. Fired fast many 3" groups offhand from 50yds. Both my .45 Colt and .44 Mag trapper 94's have the Skinner Ghost ring sights that allow very fast accurate rifle shooting.

The 13lb reduced power spring worked so well in my .45 Colt 94 that I will install the 13lb spring in my .44 Mag trapper.

Regards,
Richard